• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque rods

OSO

Hey that LOOKS LIKE FUN! aua Swinging a hammer in the horizontal plane to knock out something,that has been stuck in place for a while. I have that to look forward with mine . 1953 M139 Bridge support truck . I will let you guys know how much fun I had!!! :deadhorse:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
as i said, i had to cut the nuts off my upper rods on the upper frame mounts, the lower upper rod mounts can be unbolted from the axle (in fact this is the only way to get it off the rod) and it will take a BIG hammer( i used a short handle 8# and a long handle 10# and repeted hits), when going back together, make sure that the mount taper is CLEAN, SMOOTH (no nicks) litely oil the taper so things slide in easier and come apart later, make sure that the taper is seated ALL the way and not COCKED before you tighten , snug it up a little, then tap on the back to make sure it is seated, i have seen touque rod ends not seated right eather because of not clean, nicks (both on the taper and the bore), ect this in time will wallow out the bore, making it unuseable and a chance of BREAKING the tapered stud from the constant beating , i dont have the 5t tm in front of me, but i beleive that tm-34 has the touque for all the tighiting that is needed to put this all back togather. oh, by the way i had to heat my spring hanger nuts to get them loose so as not to twist the spring u bolts, all of the above is after fighting ALL 40 tire retainers, all i can say is HAVE FUN

George

since the shaft of the end is tapered you can often get it to break loose from the bracket by just striking the bracket with a large hammer. You don't need to drive the shaft out of the bracket. If the shaft moves any, it will fall out because of the taper. You can't get to the end of the top shaft but you can get to the bracket to give it a good whack. The shock will normally do the trick. It doesn't work every time but it does work for us most of the time.

Knucklehead

The easy way and I feel the safest way to remove the torque rod from the housing, is to first remove the nuts, use a Porta Power with the spreader attachment also called a butterfly.Place the spreader and then pump. If the rod end is really bound then apply some heat to the mounting boss. If you do not own a Porta Power you can rent one for cheap money or get the Harbor Freight one for little cash. No swinging hammers, jacking up the truck or major disassembly.It has worked on my M62, M51 and M52. BE CAREFUL.

sailor2000

Knucklehead said:
The easy way and I feel the safest way to remove the torque rod from the housing, is to first remove the nuts, use a Porta Power with the spreader attachment also called a butterfly.Place the spreader and then pump. If the rod end is really bound then apply some heat to the mounting boss. If you do not own a Porta Power you can rent one for cheap money or get the Harbor Freight one for little cash. No swinging hammers, jacking up the truck or major disassembly.It has worked on my M62, M51 and M52. BE CAREFUL.
Do you have a pic or manuf / model of this type tool??

Thanks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
on my old 52 gasser m52, one hit and the touque rod was apart, on the 73 819, that was a whole another story or should i say battle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks