• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque Spreadsheet

HDN

But I was wondering, am I to assume that any given bolt size no matter where it goes will have a set torque for it?
Like all and any 9/16 (example) in the truck will have the same torque based on the style of bolt used?
I torque only when it's called for in the manual. Everything else i just snug up, but care is needed to not overtighten and strip threads!

Dipstick

Actually, yes there are torque specs specific to every size thread fine or course. What you are really doing when you torque a bolt is stretching it a pre-determined amount. This is especially important when re-building an engine. I used to have a chart for bolt torques. I will try to dig it up, but it is easily researchable on the web.

Dipstick

Standard Bolt Torques.jpg
As promised here is a scan of the Standard Bolt Torque Specifications that have been taped to the inside of my toolbox lid for 35 years. I hope you find it useful.

Dipstick

I know. I've seen them. I have the M35 TMs on a CDrom. I looked at them when I was redoing my front end. Some of the particular bolt torques I was looking for were not even mentioned in the chassis or brake TMs. This chart is quick and easy. It was written many decades ago by SAE engineers and is the industrial standard. Most of us are pretty busy. It doesn't hurt to have a chart like this handy for quick access on the fly. There are certain applications where the manufacturers torque specs can be slightly different. Connecting rod bolts on Ford small block V-8 engines are one example I have personally experienced. When that's the case, I go with the manufacturer's recommendations. I bring the torque up in even increments and then disassemble and plastigauge the new bearings. I then reassemble and re-torque them after verifying I have the proper rod bearing to crankshaft journal clearance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks