• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Total Brake Failure on my Air over Hydraulic Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmgill

Who didn't start off knowing very little about these trucks? Very few of us were raised with them and were turning wrenches on them before we could walk (aside from folks like Joe that is..).

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suppose I'm the oddball around here. I read and read and READ about Deuces here on the site (and lurked quite a bit) before ever jumping in to ownership. Had I not done that, I would never have been able to start the truck we ended up buying the first time we saw her behind the firehouse she was being retired from. With that knowledge alone, I became both dangerous and OVERLY CAUTIOUS at the same time. I know that with a RUNNING truck under my butt that there was some real adventure ahead - with life and death situations on the road before me. I have always defaulted to SAFE OPS, and knowledge was the first step I had to take.

Carry on.... in the safest way possible, please.

SomeWhatLost

[/COLOR]

This is how a lot of the old time members feel, people buying a big MV, with NO idea of the care and feeding of what they have, it seems that it is getting WORSE, it is more like "I have a bigger pu then you", and get OFFENDED if told to read the TM, what should be done to PREVENT the same thing from happening again or what could have happened because of the issue. So Jeep, you are not the first or will you be the last to tell the truth there by offending a poster, all well.
You kind of make the old timers sound like a bunch of grumpy old farts, Sitting out on their rocking chairs, While madly shaking their fists in the air at all those darn young people playing on their yard...

I get that MV's are big and heavy and all that, and could potentially be dangerous...

But, as a member of the 2 wheeled transport group (well, at least when it is warm out...) you people in your big green iron don't even rank on my danger scale when I am out on my bike...
Soccer mom's in their minivans trying to keep their precious cargo in line while propelling their couple ton vehicle, and regular folk with their cell phones in one hand and taking notes with their other, far out rank you green iron people as far as danger goes...
(note: the above is based off of actual weekly experince durring the warmer times of the year... Minivans and regular folk are in fact out to get you, vs Green Iron who are not...)

If I was given the choice between getting run over by a Deuce or a Toyota, my first choice would be to say "Please Don't Run Me Over!!!!" as both choices would totally ruin my day...

Green Iron, while rare around here, are still present, and when you do come along one they almost always seem to be driven by enthusiasts, and Enthusiasts all seem to have one thing in common... they pay attention to what they are doing behind the wheel...

I would take 10 Green Iron guys with their brakes going out over a single "regular folk" any day... at least the Green Iron people were paying attenuation to what they were doing before the braking issue and have a much higher chance of a happy ending...

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You kind of make the old timers sound like a bunch of grumpy old farts, Sitting out on their rocking chairs, While madly shaking their fists in the air at all those darn young people playing on their yard...
Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

The OP hasn't been logged on since any of the replies.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

I suppose I'm the oddball around here. I read and read and READ about Deuces here on the site (and lurked quite a bit) before ever jumping in to ownership. Had I not done that, I would never have been able to start the truck we ended up buying the first time we saw her behind the firehouse she was being retired from. With that knowledge alone, I became both dangerous and OVERLY CAUTIOUS at the same time. I know that with a RUNNING truck under my butt that there was some real adventure ahead - with life and death situations on the road before me. I have always defaulted to SAFE OPS, and knowledge was the first step I had to take.

Carry on.... in the safest way possible, please.
Actually I worked in the motor pool when I was in the Marines. After I transferred out of tanks. So I was pretty sure of what I was getting into. Though there are things I have to do now that the Depot level guys would have done. Bad transmission ? Send it to Depot. Engine refuses to run right ? Send it to Depot. Now, I'm the Depot !

BrianScott777

Narrowed it down

I appreciate all of the input. Yes I know only DOT 5, and yes I've check the lines to all six wheels. Also, I'm in Corpus Christi!

I noticed that the air pressure has started to slide downward. While not enough to set off the alarms, It's hovering around 70-80 psi whereas is used to stay nearly pinned at over 100.

So, I've been working everyday since my last post, (sorry to the fella for posting it in the wrong slot and thanks for the new thread) and between that and the rain, today was the first opportunity I've had to have a go at it.

I took the time to follow the many tubes that extend outwards from the airpack. I found no cracks, leaks, and one minor crimp. The crimp appears to be from many years ago. The compressor is functioning normally.

I suspect the airpack may have failed, but before I dish out $445, I'll continue to troubleshoot. I have one issue with the myriad of TM's. I can't find the one that is specifically for troubleshooting and part replacement for the brake system - M35A2? I haven't found it, but I am sure that one exists.

I still can't figure out the purpose of, or reason for the 1/4" open ended copper tube that extends upwards along the firewall between the engine block and the air filter, until it reaches the height (approx.) of the valve cover then bends 180 degrees so the open end points downward. When I step on the brake, a burst of brake fluid squirts out. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Thanks again all

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, thats the vent. I would say that solidifies the fact that your air pack needs rebuilt(fluid squirting out the vent).

That copper line used to run to the slobber tube, but it was tied in to the fuel tank vent. The fuel vapors screwed up the seals in the master cyl, so there was a MWO(modification work order) to separate the two vents. What you have is the result, so that is a good thing.

BrianScott777

Not offended... Busy working to support my family. BTW, I'm not some D.B. with a new toy truck. It was a TYPO. I've been a CDL for years, just never anything this antique. Also, there is no question I have a bigger pu...

BrianScott777

Thank you Gimpyrobb

Thank you Gimpyrobb, for the confirmation. I'll get a pic of it at first light tomorrow and post it after work. Thanks to all that took the time to answer - even those that just chose to bust ba**z. Truly entertaining.

Do you recommend rebuild or replace?

gimpyrobb

Always rebuild--if possible. Sometimes there is too much rust to rebuild, then you have to bite the bullet, & buy new.

Edit, busting balls is what we do best! :gimp2:

peashooter

Can anyone advise on the part number? I've found two Part Number: 8345003 or Part Number: 12368255
They are both right for the long style airpack... there is also N4105H

AIR PACK (LONG, OLD STYLE)
NSN: 2530-00-040-2188
Part #:8345003, 12368255, N4105H
Rebuild Kit
NSN: 2530-00-040-2190
Part #:28345007, RN25D

AIR PACK (SHORT, NEW STYLE)
NSN: 2530-01-384-3726
Part #: KN35010, N4105AG, KN35020~w/residual check valve
Rebuild Kit
NSN:
Part #: RN25T

From: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...hs-fittings)&p=1539379&viewfull=1#post1539379

gimpyrobb

Yours is the old "long" air pack. I'd pull it and look to see how bad the internals are before ordering a rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.