• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Total production numbers

GoldComet6

This scan is from a 1984 Blazer sales brochure. It says over 23,000 Blazers were recently purchased by the U.S. Army. I checked the 1985 & 1986 brochures, but they don't have anything similar.

Hope it helps provide some info on the CUCV model breakout. [thumbzup]

Attachments

Last edited:

Whitey

Tisk tisk, Southdave! I had some reservations until I got my 1009. Haven't looked back, it's great and very useful. (somethings gotta move all the 101's and 105's!) Besides, it reminds me of my first car, a 1990 Chevy Caprice police cruiser. Only difference is the CUCV is taller, shorter, and louder!

GoldComet6

According to a Feb 1984 Four Wheeler magazine article, the U.S. Army orderred 53,248 Chevy trucks, which included 23,478 Blazers. Guess there were additional orders later on.

1986Blazerk5

According to a Feb 1984 Four Wheeler magazine article, the U.S. Army orderred 53,248 Chevy trucks, which included 23,478 Blazers. Guess there were additional orders later on.
If you don't mind me asking where did you get this information. I'm not saying your wrong just wondering if you keep ever magazine you have ever bought? or is there online access to these old magazines?, And for the brochers do you did you have them saved on your computer?

GoldComet6

If you don't mind me asking where did you get this information. I'm not saying your wrong just wondering if you keep ever magazine you have ever bought? or is there online access to these old magazines?, And for the brochers do you did you have them saved on your computer?
Not EVERY ONE, but yes most car related ones I keep. I have Road & Track going back 25 years. I also have lots of original car/truck sales brochures too - going back to the early 70s. You can always buy the brochures on ebay if you want to get them for the Chevy trucks. They're not that expensive.

This specific CUCV info came from a book I bought recently - it's reprints of old magazine articles on the Blazers & Jimmys. There was another article that had the same numbers listed. Both said that the production lines would be kept humming until March 1986 trying to fill the civilian & military orders. Of course the actual CUCV number produced may be different, since the articles were from 1984 & 1986. I was just sharing what the articles said.

Here are the links - I think you might enjoy them.

This one had the CUCV numbers.
1983-94
Amazon.com: Chevy Blazer & Jimmy Limited Edition Extra 1983-1994 (9781855207547): R.M. Clarke: Books

1969-1982
Amazon.com: Chevy Blazer & Jimmy Limited Edition Extra 1969-1982 (9781855207530): R.M. Clarke: Books

1969-1981
Amazon.com: Chevy Blazer 1969-1981 (Brooklands Books Road Tests Series) (9781855200463): R.M. Clarke: Books

Last edited:

GoldComet6

Test of the Bushwhacker Blazer

Perhaps the final number produced is different, but here is what they were saying back at the time the CUCVs were rolling off the lines.

First article from Four Wheeler, dated Feb 1984 says:
"The demand is continuing strongly - helped imeasurably by the Army's order for 53,248 (including 23,478 Jimmy/Blazers) GM trucks and utilities, which will keep the big-truck assembly lines running at least through March 1986".

Another article from Road & Track Specials dated 1986 says:
"Second, the U.S. Army ordered up a batch of Blazers, nearly 24,000 of them, which would keep the Blazer/Jimmy/Suburban assembly line running well into 1986."

Here is a sample of what's in one of the books: a reprint of an article from Off Road and 4 wheel Drive magazine, dated March 1987. The Bushwhacker Blazer.....

Attachments

Last edited:

markg

i had a guy email me from somewhere in germany several yeras ago that said he witnessed the destruction of hundreds of 1008 trucks . they were put in a pit and smashed flat with a bulldozer. he said they were new and never put into service. what a shame if true. thanks. mark

linx310

i had a guy email me from somewhere in germany several yeras ago that said he witnessed the destruction of hundreds of 1008 trucks . they were put in a pit and smashed flat with a bulldozer. he said they were new and never put into service. what a shame if true. thanks. mark
There was a video of them driving a M60 tank over rows of M880s from the mid 1980s. I posted a link here but the back lash from people claiming i was trolling forced me to delete it. Now I cant find the video any where.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks