• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Totaled Deuce Gets Rebuilt

APM215

I’m glad you’re okay and that you were able to walk away or in this case drive away. It could have been a lot worse.

Two weeks ago the phone rang at 5:30 in the morning. My wife answered it and shot out of bed like she was on fire! All I heard was “is he breathing?” and I was up too!! My step-son was in a bad car accident with a co-worker who drives him in. The small SUV they were in was T-boned by a pickup truck. We got to the accident just as the fire department was cutting him out. He was screaming and covered in blood. Most of the blood was coming from his ear and eyes.
Two weeks later he is still having trouble walking and has huge gaps in his memory. When he talks he struggles to put the words together. Life is short and it can be taken away at any time!! A truck can be replaced. No matter how much you loved your truck it is not even close to how much your family and friends love you!!!

Good luck with what ever you decide to do with your truck “at least you can” Andrew.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the truck really did run when it was parked?

You're still alive and the truck is just a truck, it isn't you.

APM215, Sorry about your stepson. Hope he gets better soon.

F18hornetM

After seeing the picture of your step-son..makes worrying about the truck pretty small. Still sorry you wrecked it, but you can start over. Hope ur step son gets well soon APM215, and you find another pride and joy

Goose2448

Glad your still hopping. At least you saved on a tow bill. And you can have a M109 WITH A WINCH!!! I think you should make this a display piece in your front yard, showing how Tough these trucks are.:driver:

Last edited:

caliber1

Wildchild, it was YOU!! Glad you are okay, sucks about your pride and joy.

The line in yor sig, "never had so much fun goin slow". Couldn't remember where I saw it.

Good luck repairing, or getting a new pride and joy.:driver:

m726

Glad your okay and that's impressive you were able to drive away with that amount of damage. It really is a testament to how tough these trucks are.

I think I may have seen your truck over the summer at the Big Dipper Ice Cream in Apalachin or a nearly identical one...

If you need any help feel free to send me a message i'm only down in Owego

Also I'd be interested in talking to you about Kublo's as I was thinking about checking them out as a parts source for my M715 project

salvorone@aol.com

WHAT SHOULD I DO?? YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO. if the drivetrain is known to be good and everthing has allready been rebuilt she looks like a rebuilder to me , . the costs of purchasing a donor truck from gov liq. is cheep .
swap the cab front end and bed , sell the unused parts on SS . you will probably make money for a few days work. now say a prayer, stop crying dust your self off , and put her back together soldier.!!! :driver:

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I know good truck bodies are hard to come by up yonder due to the salt/rust issues but here is an idea.

A guy I sold one of my deuces to took the cab and sheetmetal off it and put an older model Ford crew cab body on it. He did not bob the deuce.....and he did not use the civy bed.

I have not seen pics of it but he sold it for 7200 bucks last week.

You might check some of the local scrap yards for donor trucks.

spicergear

Holy crap Tom! Glad you're okay! I was up in Binghamton this weekend and driving down 81 looking at the rock faces along the highway and thought how unfriendly they may be. WOW...again, glad you're okay. Maybe look for a non runner and start swapping over...

dozer1

Glad you are OK. That is some pretty serious damage to your deuce. I like your plan of getting another deuce from GL or maybe even keeping your eye open for one in CL. After all you had decent insurance it sounds like. Many good parts there for you to salvage off your totalled deuce. Stuff to sell and keep what you want.

shenkmen

Tom, HOLY SHUCKING FIT! I'm very glad you are ok.

Knowing how much you drive your like to drive your truck day to day I say this is a good opportunity to do a real nice restoration on your pride and joy.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the drive home was only about 5 miles. i lost come coolant, but i dont think it was too bad. The engine still fires right up. to play with the thought of fixing it, i dont have a hoist or loader to lift the old cab up and off or even to put a new box on. hate to be messing with that heavy stuff and have something bad happen. I have the M109 and thought about putting a box on that, but again, swapping the box out would be tricky.... and i think my M35A2 is in better shape body wise than the M109. The M35A2 is a lot more fun to drive, the M109 kinda looks goofy for a daily driver with the box on there. I say daily driver because i put 14,000 miles on my deuce in the 2 seasons i drove it (parked it in the winter). Ill probably keep my eye open for another truck and just have to start all over swapping over all my parts, like pyro, heater, aux lights, etc. like somebody else said, i have all winter to shop for one, im in no hurry even though it would be nice to have another cargo deuce sitting down at the shop waiting for me to drive it... After almost getting killed twice in exactly 3 months apart... im nervous what febuary 5th is going to be like! haha!

ratat98

I was just thinking yesterday, "man this hard top wouldn't do much in a wreck". It looks like I was right!! I'm glad you are ok! The road I take to work here is very narrow, and I spend a lot of time on the grass avoiding other traffic, so I know how it feels to run off the side of the road like that! Glad someone was watching out for you!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i forgot to mention, i have about a 150lb rock on the box of the truck that fell off the rock face. good thing it didnt fall on my head. ill have to get a picture of it. i think its only right that i do something special with that rock... not sure what... but has to be something!

Flyingvan911

Glad you are ok, Wildchild. I'm praying for your friend, APM.

I say get another deuce and part out this one. There are still alot of good parts on the truck. Even the best driver can be the victim of a freak accident. And... it sounds like you taught that rock face a lesson.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you are ok, Wildchild. I'm praying for your friend, APM.

I say get another deuce and part out this one. There are still alot of good parts on the truck. Even the best driver can be the victim of a freak accident. And... it sounds like you taught that rock face a lesson.
Thanks. Yea, i kicked its butt pretty good and took a rock as a hostage! Ill see if i can take more pics and post them. maybe this weekend when i get home so i have day light. at least i didnt have my cargo cover and bows on. the day before i was almost going to take the troop seats out just for looks but i didnt... i wish i did. now i need a new fiberglass headache rack and one fiberglass troop seat side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks