• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow air lines.

racing4funn

I have a few truck and a tow bar in case one gets stranded somewhere but I dont have the air lines for the brakes.

I never see any for sale. Should I make my own by buying some ends? Are these the same found for semi trucks? Any source for complete purpose built lines?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Red and blue coil hose with glad hands on each end should work fine.
If you don't want the squiggly red and blue lines you can buy a cheap air hose and four glad hands and make them to the length you want.

The air lines can't be used on a deuce since there are no glad hands on the front of the deuce to hook to.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any truckstop pro shop should have hoses of all sorts and glad hands as well as NAPA.

You can attach an air line to the air pack on a Deuce for brakes when towing as well, it is just a little harder.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it can. You can put a quick disconnect on the air pack and run a hose to it with a glad hand on the other end to the truck doing the towing. Stretch has the setup on at least one of his trucks. When we hooked it up in my barn after he lost a cylinder leaving the MVPA show in 2012.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Short airpacks will need the J tube modfied.

Long air packs, you can put a valve and connection on the pipe plug on the rear of the air cylinder cover.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No emergency, and it's not the service line.

It goes into the airpack booster air cylinder only. Charging the service line would do nothing.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thinking about it, I answered my own question. From the Tow vehicle, one would use the Service line, running it to the Towed vehicle and plumbing it into the rear of the Towed vheicles' air pack.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I believe you could plumb into the air pack and then a one way valve then a air line to the front with a glad hand on the end, this way only ONE set of tow hoses need to be carried that will work on both a 5t and a deuce.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I was thinking as well Ron. Stretch's you have to climb under the truck to connect it and run the line up and over everything to get it to the tow vehicle. If you plumbed in a line from the air pack up to the front of the truck and put a 5-ton valve/glad hand assembly there you would be golden.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That's what I was thinking as well Ron. Stretch's you have to climb under the truck to connect it and run the line up and over everything to get it to the tow vehicle. If you plumbed in a line from the air pack up to the front of the truck and put a 5-ton valve/glad hand assembly there you would be golden.
I would still use a one way valve at the air pack in case of glad hand/valve/line leak which could dump your air and realy impede your deuce brakeing.

dmetalmiki

Air lines

If fitting glad hands and lines. the service line is YELLOW and applies trailer or towed vehicle brakes. (and) Emergeancy lines RED wich supply air to the trailer (air) tanks and the towed trucks air tanks.
(on trailers and some trucks)the brakes come ON no air situation. the RED emergeancy line supplying air (and) pushing the brakes off. (NO air NO go.)
The yellow Service line supplies air by application of the towing vehicles brakes. (applying the towed trailers or vehicles* brakes). (older trucks *)
RED emergeancy air line has a ONE WAY valve. to prevent back flow of air.
The YELLOW service line should exhaust.
I fitted Service and Emergeancy air lines to my M35A2 deuce for (it's being) towed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks