• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow bar a civvy Pick Up

Cdub

I've been thinking of using the tow bar with the M925a1 five ton and attaching it to my GMC 2500 pick up truck........

Has anyone ever done this before........??

Thanks,

C'dub

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a very minor modification to the top corner(does not affect the plow attachment area), a set of Fisher Minute Mount plow brackets works well with a medium tow-bar.

Cdub

I was thinking that I could remove the factory tow hooks and bolt up the attacments for the adaptors there......??

I'm not really looking to do any drilling or mounting anything on the front bumper.

will it work.........??

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A set of Fisher Minute Mount bracket similar to these will bolt on in place of your original tow hooks. You will need to remove or cut a slot in your lower valance. They are not cheep, used from $75-300 ish. They are vehicle specific.

Attachments

rdixiemiller

I made a towbar up that bolted to the tie down loops on my 93 Nissan PU. When I picked up my deuce, I towed my Nissan back. It is a manual tranny, so I just left it in neutral and left the engine running (too lazy to pull the driveshaft in the rain) to keep the tranny oiling. Worked just fine. I am planning on doing the same on my Suzuki Samurai but use some spare deuce shackle brackets on the front bumper.

mangus580

I have anticipated doing the same thing on the wife's Suburban. Remove factory hooks, put some tubing in its place like the CUCV. I probably wont ever do it unless I need to though...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M880 towbar adapters would be easiest for sure. I have a pair and had planned (for years) to add them to my 94 Chev in place of the hooks. I'm just lazy I guess.

bottleworks

joec said:
On a second note if you tow that more then 50 miles..(Automatic) Take the drive shaft out . You'll burn the trans up.
With an automatic, even 50 miles at speed is too much. That trans should never be turning with the engine off if you want to keep it working long term. Put the xfer case in neutral or just simply pull the drive shaft.

rizzo

citizensoldier said:
If I was to tow bar a 98 GMC how would you put the t case in neutral it has the push button crap? Or I guess I would have to pull the rear shaft? Should not hurt the front right?
push the buttons and put in neutral

my M1008 says to have the trans in park and t-case in Neutral when towing

mangus580

citizensoldier said:
There is no neutral on mine.. just 2 high, 4high, and 4 low..
Read your owners manual. You push & hold 2 of the buttons (I dont recall which) for a few seconds, and it will go into neutral.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks