• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow bar a civvy Pick Up

acetomatoco

Oh, no the dreaded manuals... as an aside, I towed my 88 Lincoln Town Car with my Bluebird Motor Home from Orlando FL to the Canadian Border with no prep, just put er in N, and a Uhaul rental tow bar clamped on with no tranny damage...darn thing rusted out at 200000 miles though...

BEASTMASTER

i tow my f-250 all around. hooks up to my plowframe ears . put transfercase in neutral and trany in park don't want the tranny spinning because the front pump does'nt work without the motor running. :driver:

Cdub

I'm working on the NJ Turnpike for the past month or two and I see these motor homes flying by with their car in tow.........?? How do they get it done...??

On my 1995 GMC 2500 it has a manual t-case with an auto trany.

Can I put the T-case in neutral and the trany in park.....?? I've never tried it before..

Thanks,

C'dub

rizzo

Cdub said:
I'm working on the NJ Turnpike for the past month or two and I see these motor homes flying by with their car in tow.........?? How do they get it done...??

On my 1995 GMC 2500 it has a manual t-case with an auto trany.

Can I put the T-case in neutral and the trany in park.....?? I've never tried it before..

Thanks,

C'dub
yes

citizensoldier

I dont think so

mangus580 said:
citizensoldier said:
There is no neutral on mine.. just 2 high, 4high, and 4 low..
Read your owners manual. You push & hold 2 of the buttons (I dont recall which) for a few seconds, and it will go into neutral.
Manual???? That went out the window on the way home from the dealership! It took up to much room in the glove box and I was pissed they didnt give me a thermal coffee cup after spending 30k..
I will try what you mentioned above mangus.. I plan on rigging up some CUCV shackles and painting it 3 color NATO CARC this summer.. My own little CUCV II... :shock: Anybody ever put a 4BT cummins in a 98 GMC 3/4 ton? Or how about a 6.5 with Banks turbo? I have access to both. I only got 10-11 MPG on the way to and from Fl.. That sucked at $3.50 a gallon.. :shock: :(

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: I dont think so

Autotrac also features a transfer case neutral position for easy towing behind a recreational vehicle.

The NVG 246 EAU transfer case has the added feature of also providing the
driver with 3 manual mode/range positions:

a.. 4HI - 4 Wheel Drive high range
b.. 2HI - 2 Wheel Drive high range
c.. 4LO - 4 Wheel Drive low range
The driver may choose to select any of these mode/range positions while
driving the vehicle. However, the transfer case will not allow a shift into
or out of 4LO unless the following criteria has been met:

a.. The engine is running.
b.. The automatic transmission is in Neutral.
c.. The vehicle speed is below 5 km/h (3 mph).
This transfer case also has a Neutral position. A shift to the Neutral
position allows the vehicle to be towed without rotating the transmission
output shaft. Neutral position may be obtained only if the following
criteria has been met:

a.. The engine is running.
b.. The automatic transmission is in Neutral.
c.. The vehicle speed is below 5 km/h (3 mph).
d.. The transfer case is in 2HI mode.
Once these conditions have been met, press and hold both the 2HI and 4LO
buttons for 10 seconds. When the system completes the shift to neutral, the
red neutral lamp will illuminate.

The NVG 246 EAU case halves are high-pressure die-cast magnesium. Ball
bearings support the input shaft, the front output shaft, and the rear
output shaft. A thrust bearing is located inside of the input shaft gear to
support the front of the rear output shaft. The transfer case requires Auto
Trac® II Fluid GM P/N 12378508 (Canadian P/N 10953626) which is blue in
color. The fluid is designed for smooth clutch application. An oil pump,
driven by the rear output shaft, pumps the fluid through the rear output
shaft oil gallery to the clutch and bearings.

mangus580

Re: I dont think so

citizensoldier said:
Anybody ever put a 4BT cummins in a 98 GMC 3/4 ton? Or how about a 6.5 with Banks turbo? I have access to both. I only got 10-11 MPG on the way to and from Fl.. That sucked at $3.50 a gallon.. :shock: :(
Either swap whould be reasonable... Esp the 6.5, keep in mind, you have the same basic truck there as the wife's Burb.... with the 6.5

I do know someone looking for either engine...

Jake0147

citizensoldier said:
There is no neutral on mine.. just 2 high, 4high, and 4 low..
There is no separate button. Most (I don't dare say all) of them have a white line showing what to do, it's on the switch body, not the buttons. I THINK it is the two high and four low button simultaneously from two high only. I may not have the procedure exact, I read it once a very long time ago. Read the manual as well, the time I figgered it out I also determined that the four by four vehicle was good to tow two down for unlimited miles with no speed restriction (or maybe a highway speed restriction, 55 or 65 or something. Some are touchy, but a lot of those GMs are pretty flexible about how you tow them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks