• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow Bar for M1008

shepherm

I'm planing to go visit my family for Christmas and I decided I need to take my truck to install the 52" springs/crossover steering/winches, they have a heated shop. There was only one small problem, I do not own a trailer which can hold the M1008. So I decided to build a tow bar, what do you guys think?

100_0450.jpg100_0453.jpgBushing.jpg

evldoer

It looks good and should do the job just fine. I made one similar to yours and haven't had any problems with it. I remove the rear driveshaft and I can tow my m1008 down the road at 75mph without any problems. I do hook up a safety chain from the m1008 to the truck I'm pulling it with though, just in case.

shepherm

It looks good and should do the job just fine. I made one similar to yours and haven't had any problems with it. I remove the rear driveshaft and I can tow my m1008 down the road at 75mph without any problems. I do hook up a safety chain from the m1008 to the truck I'm pulling it with though, just in case.
I was trying to decide if I wanted to remove the driveshaft or not, since my bed is off and it's 350 miles I think I'm going to. I trust my design and welds, but I will have the safety chain just encase. Thanks for the feedback

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remove the rear axle shafts. I have flat steel plates to cover up the hole and have gaskets glued to them. With my battery powered impact I can have the shafts out and in the bed in 5 minutes without ever laying down. A little cup to catch the spilled gear oil and you are done!

markg

I run the transfer case in nuetral, transmission in park. make sure the fluid in t-case is full. this way its easier to unhook and go if needed. steering wheel stays locked if wanted going down the road(in case of a blowout on towed vehicle). i made up a light harness from the tow vehicle to tail light harness of pulled truck at the firewall to keep the law happy. works great. thanks. mark

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run the transfer case in nuetral, transmission in park. make sure the fluid in t-case is full. this way its easier to unhook and go if needed. steering wheel stays locked if wanted going down the road(in case of a blowout on towed vehicle). i made up a light harness from the tow vehicle to tail light harness of pulled truck at the firewall to keep the law happy. works great. thanks. mark

Your advice is contrary to what the TM says. (both should be in neutral)

Use safety chains.

Correct tow-bar procedure is listed in the -10TM.

There are two options depending on distance towed(under 50 mi or over 50 mi).

Also, do not leave your key on without disabling the GP relay.

Last edited:

markg

Your advice is contrary to what the TM says. (both should be in neutral)

Use safety chains.

Correct tow-bar procedure is listed in the -10TM.

There are two options depending on distance towed(under 50 mi or over 50 mi).

Also, do not leave your key on without disabling the GP relay.
No reason for both to be in nuetral, i like the steering locked,(cant do that with trans in nuetral) even though you could do it with a rope. i have blown a front tire on the towed vehicle without the steering being locked, wont do that again. did damage to both vehicles. my advice is worth what you paid for it. do it at your own risk!! it works for me. thanks. mark

stlaser

Looking at flat towing one of these units. I searched and searched but could not find the information I needed. I want to build my own tow bar (I'm a fabricator by trade) but need a couple of dimensions. Thank you in advance. Shawn

Outside dimension to outside dimension of clevis mounts?
Inside dimension to inside dimension of clevis mounts?
Diameter of hole in clevis mounts?

I am wanting to build my tow bar so that the mounts are in double shear for each clevis mount similar to the original post.

markg

After measuring 3 of my cucv's ive found that none are the same. outside to outside of clevis is 31.75" to 31.3125." inside width of clevis mount is 1.125" to 1.0625" diameter of pin is about 1" . inside to inside of clevis is 28.1875 to 28.5" my towbar is adjustable, and now you know why!!! btw none of my trucks show any front damage. thanks. mark

cliffyp

I've never used a tow bar. It would seem like it would be hard for the towed vehicle to track right during a turn if the steering wheel is locked. I do see the danger posed with a blowout and an unlocked wheel. For those of you who lock your steering, how do you handle tighter turns? I maybe using a tow bar in the near future so I'm interested in how it's done.