• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tow bar info needed

818 Test Pilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_7801.jpgyup i got a new tow bar in the mail but i think the most important 2 parts weren't shipped. isn't there two somewhat tow bar elbowish swivel connectors to attach to the non-swiveling connecting points on the bumper. always used em in iraq. do they attach to some rigs just straight on without the special swiveling ends? supposed to be a medium and is there an online site that just sells the feet? almost had to tow an out of fuel 929 tuesday night
. good thing he got it going cause my towbar wasn't complete. OIF1 US Army 88M

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You are missing the feet. If it has handles on the towbar legs for carrying the thing then its a heavy bar. It does not look thick enough to be a heavy bar. And almost too short to be a med heavy. Unwrapped it may help. Diffrent bars means different pins to connect them with. As well as different feet.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Csm Davis

Yes that is a standard Hunter medium towbar not even a heavy medium towbar, and the heavy towbar weighs twice what that one does or maybe more.
As said above you need the 1" feet and pins for moving 5 tons, the 3/4" feet are only for humvees.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

818 Test Pilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You bought that from me, off of egay. Read the ad, the feet were not included.
well i do not use names and numbers of sellers due to most likely I'm not up to speed on this steel soldier/ordering parts/what goes where and why and everything else. 1st..... my specialty is as a consultant for a new england air museum CH54B restore project 2nd....i was never passed by another 818/5k in the desert of '03 on the way to biap before real roads 3rd......this steel soldiers stuff is cool

Attachments

Last edited:

818 Test Pilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes that is a standard Hunter medium towbar not even a heavy medium towbar, and the heavy towbar weighs twice what that one does or maybe more.
As said above you need the 1" feet and pins for moving 5 tons, the 3/4" feet are only for humvees.

way cool Csm, good ol hattiesburg ms. had some fun down there at your base. our CT. 208th trans. co Heavy Lift Helicopter Unit visited for a few days, think it was summer of 84'. it was the farthest we ever flew as a whole unit. first time i ever was ever able to see 4 or more lightning strikes hit the ground as we were flying at about 1500'. you guys drove gamma goats around the base. a small black dawg hung out by our chow hall we named her shelby some troop from another unit brought her home. back to business now. keep filling me in on this stuff so i can get the correct stuff and be mission ready. i just ordered some feet buts not gonna help cause they are for a hummer i guess. will look for 1" feet online. thanks, 88M 67X

Attachments

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1" feet for a medium towbar should be $100-$120 complete. (I don't have any to sell, sorry)

The medium towbar is rated for 39k. Attempting to back while using them may snap them and badness will ensue.

Use safety chains, airlines, and towlights. (I do have the tow light assemblies, but no cables).

818 Test Pilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter

yup just went outside where the feet connect to the business end is 1" x (2ea.) where do i get the feet and 1" x 2 pins as a set

Attachments

Csm Davis

way cool Csm, good ol hattiesburg ms. had some fun down there at your base. our CT. 208th trans. co Heavy Lift Helicopter Unit visited for a few days, think it was summer of 84'. it was the farthest we ever flew as a whole unit. first time i ever was ever able to see 4 or more lightning strikes hit the ground as we were flying at about 1500'. you guys drove gamma goats around the base. a small black dawg hung out by our chow hall we named her shelby some troop from another unit brought her home. back to business now. keep filling me in on this stuff so i can get the correct stuff and be mission ready. i just ordered some feet buts not gonna help cause they are for a hummer i guess. will look for 1" feet online. thanks, 88M 67X
Hey was that y'all that moved that huge satellite dish?
By the way make sure you get real towbar pins they are much stronger and safer than the shackle pins.

818 Test Pilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey was that y'all that moved that huge satellite dish?
By the way make sure you get real towbar pins they are much stronger and safer than the shackle pins.

have to dig back in my history books. could have been a top secret mission by one of our other ships. i did some apc lifts and went to bar rooms outside the gate. don't remember anything else. dropped off my ship 69-18462 someplace in georgia to be painted by a contractor. crewed a C7 back to ct from there. thanx for the info about not using shackle pins.

Attachments

818 Test Pilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the classifieds here.
Lots of good sellers !
well yup a lot of good sellers but just have be assured I'm paying attention to detail. i just need 5ton feet and one inch pins. a lot of the pictures have feet but no pins. I'm guessn they either rust or get lost in their travels. some of the complete tow bars and accessories are very cool but i want to keep my M818 and some of the goodies to middle class wages

Attachments

Gunzy

That is a light tow bar, used for HMMWV/CUCV etc. I really don't think it is rated to tow a 5 ton.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Light/Medium towbar visual aid: Light is on left, tube is 2.25" od, medium on right, tube is 2.75" od. The medium did not exist until the 80's, prior to that only the light existed and was routinely pretzellized by the military. It was almost impossible to find a good one, you had to buy 6 to make 1 and even then reweld this and that.

Attachments

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Yep, you can see the profile at the lunette is a match for the "medium" bar. Also the bar in the original post has the MWO collars welded on, which I've only seen on mediums. The "light mediums" like on the left weigh a fair amount less and are great for towing the smaller trucks. They're actually rated at over 40,000lbs on paper if I remember right but I wouldn't tow anything close to that using one. The medium towbar pictured on the right (and in the opening post) have been around since at least 1977 (although without the reinforcement collars). The early TM rates it at 49,000lbs when fully retracted and all the trucks wheels are on the ground, 39,000lbs when lift towing. All the feet and chain clamps for both styles are interchangeable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks