• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow bar workings

bigbird1

can someone show me a picture of two deuces hooked up with a tow bar, I can't wrap my mind around how it would steer around turns, I assume they hook to the top bumper eye hoods with a pin. but the steering part eludes me . thanks

goodguyzy

It does follow the leader fairly well. If you turn to sharp then it does not want to follow so well. You have to be very careful making a right turn onto a road, usually have to get out and turn the wheel of the towed vehicle. This pic is of a A3 towing a A2 bobber. Ive towed a A2 with a A2 and a A2 with an A3 but it was white knuckle and have upgraded to a lowboy to avoid doing it.

Attachments

emr

Read the manual, And then search the 5 bazillion posts on this. or visa versa :) Its easy, it does follow, common sense would suggest on soft ground the following vehicle wheels wont steer...and common sense is right, on hard pack aka pavement they steer on there own behind you just like in millions of miles in service. How fast, Oh about 70 :) Here common sense is also about right, 25 town roads, 40 highway, Hey there was a time no one did this stuff before and had to ask, So all is good, The difference in this site is almost everything has been asked a few thousand times, So I say this meaning it as awesome advise, read past threads, make a list of questions you may not understand and ask, You will be further down the road and get a ton more out of the answers, Good luck...

bigbird1

I did a search on Tow bars and couldn't find any answers to my question . I was hopping some people would chime in with some real life tales on do's and don'ts. Also common sense comes with experience and I have not worked with a tow bar. But thanks to the people who take time to answer a persons questions , even if i am new and hasn't read all 5 bazillion posts .

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ifyou want a bit more thrill, tow an 816 wrecker with an empty singled out Deuce, without the air connection hooked up to the 5-ton. In a right turn, I got all 6 wheels spinning on asphalt. But it turned. It also stopped. Eventually. I towed it less than a mile and that was enough.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad I wasn't on the roads near you. Being that unsafe is just plain irresponsible. No offense, but it is. I don't consider a "thrill" at the possible expense of someone else's life to be commendable.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is my thread on towing a Deuce with a Deuce. I towed one about 300 miles and it was a slow work out.
If you have any hills you will slow down a a lot. You can tow it ok on the flat roads and go a safe 40-45mph.
Turing on pavement is ok but on dirt or gravel it will not want to turn with you, just keep a eye on the wheels when
turning.
Good luck and be safe and think about what your doing.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?71371-Recovery-of-a-M35A2-from-Nellis

3dAngus

Tie down the steering wheel, and avoid tight turns. Right hand turns are always tight.

If possible, get someone to steer the rear towed vehicle until you get it near a straight road anyway, where there will not be any more tight turns. Especially in mud or grassy areas like at GL yards with fence gates and tight turns.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you own(or plan to own) a truck, you really should read the technical manuals.

Towing as well as many many other very important things are all covered in the manuals.

Start with the -10.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My longest flat tow was from Little Rock, AR back to Alabama. Deuce pulling a deuce. Slow and unnerving when commercial rigs are blowing by you on the interstate at 80MPH while you are dragging azz up hills. Tieing off the steering wheel with a rubber tarp strap helps pull the front wheels back straight after you make a turn. In my older days flat towing is now the last resort......my threshold for excitement has gone up condsiderably.

bigbird1

Thanks Doghead, i have read most of them or at least looked over them. my problem is they read like they were written for Larry , Moe and Curly. I do own a deuce its a 1987 Air force m35a2c, I put 395 tires it . I work on ag equipment and have for over 20 years, I rebuild Tractors , combines ,heavy equipment and everything in between from the front and back , so Working on the Deuce should not pose a problem, but reading those manuals are boring to say the least, when they tell you how to tighten a bolt with two wrenches on one complete page its hard for me to keep interest. is the tow bar tm included with the deuce stuff? I didn't notice it.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the -10, there is a segment on towing them with a tow bar.

There is also a medium tow bar manual available here on the site.

TM 9-4910-593-12&P