• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow Baring a CUCV

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got a really great deal on a M1008, now I need to tow bar it home. I have read the TM, anyone have any practical experience with towing, I have to pull it about 300 miles. I am going to pull the drive shafts,how does it track, do I need to tie off the steering wheel, etc?
James

NEVER tow by lifting front or rear wheels off ground when truck ie loadad.Stress may cause structural damage.
A tow bar must be used to prevent damage to truck during towing.
If truck is to be towed by a wrecker, use only equipment designed for this
purpose.
l A safety chain system must be used for all towing. Put safety chain around
a portion of truck frame.
o When towing a disabled truck, always shift transmission gearshift Iever to "N"
(Neutral), transfer case control lever to “N” (Neutral), unlock front hubs, and
release parking brake. DO NOT tow a truck which has become disabled
because of damaged transfer case, axle, or transmission. Notify your
supervisor.
. NEVER tow a truck at speeds over 35 mph (56 kph).
. NEVER allow passangers to rida in a towed truck for any reason.
a. Tow Truck On All Four Wheels Using Tow bar

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drop the rear shaft, unlock the front hubs, unlock the steering wheel and go. They track wonderfully.

ranchhopper

I used to do it all the time I just pulled the rear driveshaft put everything in neutral and away you go you wone even know its back there until you have to stop fast. One thing with the 1008 and 1028 if you may have bad king pin springs and bushings be careful the first time crossing RR tracks or any large bump you will find out in a hurry if they are bad.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the 1008 is the engine or the differentials the limiting factor on how fast you can travel? I tend to drive about 50mph in mine sometimes 55 if I don't pay attention, but some talk of 60 and 65?

Crash_AF

The transfer case in neutral is ok for short tows, but I would pull the shaft to be safe on anything I don't personally know the history of. It's four bolts and takes about 15 minutes if you're slow.

Oh, and ALWAYS leave the column unlocked when flat towing, otherwise the towed vehicle will NOT track with you and can break things.

Final word of caution, especially when picking up an unknown vehicle. Remember that the wheels, tires, wheel bearings and steering all are being used on the towed vehicle. Make sure to do a thorough pre-trip inspection and regular safety check stops during towing because a failure of any of these parts is just as dangerous as if they were on the towed vehicle, and you're not in the vehicle to feel the early warning signs of an impending failure.

That said, I pulled a 1008 from Texas to Colorado at freeway speeds by towbar without any problems, but I stopped every 50 miles or so to make sure things were running fine for the first couple of hours.

Good luck

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crash_AF; When you say highway speeds, I was planning on towing about 55 for my comfort and not to push the drive train too hard?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
55 is not a problem towing. Neither is 75 if you drop the rear driveline. Speaking of dropping the driveline, the NP208 is pretty forgiving. Westech towed an M1008 to Aberdeen without dropping the driveshafts. It just about boiled all the ATF out of the transfer case. Once cooled and filled up, it seemed to work fine. The TM says up to 50 miles without dropping the shaft. Considering where the output shaft is and the fluid sump, oiling would have to become a factor after a while. With that said you may never have a problem towing it with the shafts in place but for 5 minutes work with a wrench, tape and bailing wire, I would err on the side of safety.

Crash_AF

I towed it at 75 when I was on the interstate with no issues at all, but I chose my route to minimize interstate travel and took the back roads just to enjoy the trip. But again, I also stopped about every hour to check the truck to make sure bearings weren't getting hot, tires were still good, and things were still safe.

Later

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well dropping the rear drive shaft is no problem, a forestry forklift took care of the shaft, he has both ends of the shaft but that is it! I am getting the truck for $1300 so some imperfections are allowed! I plan on staying off the interstate as well 55 -60 will work just fine!

1965M151A1

I towed my M1008 back from French Camp with a standard MILSPEC medium towbar. I dropped the rear drive shaft, unlocked the front hubs and unlocked the steering wheel. It towed fine at 55 mph. I would double check the front tire air pressure because uneven pressure makes it track to one side and wears the tires.

M813A1

I would follow Recovery 4x4's recomendation and pull your shafts, that way youdo not have to worry about the transfer or the transmission . Also if you pull the front and back shafts there is lees things turnings and will pull easier, with less resitance. But do check the tire pressures and check the hubs after the first 40 or 50 miles to make sure no bearings or brakes are getting hot !! Good Luck !!

Skinny

The NP208 has an oil pump driven off the rear output. As long as your fluid is full and in good shape, it shouldn't matter how long you pull it in neutral as it is being lubricated exactly like normal driving. It's the tcases that rely on splash lubrication you must be careful with.

That being said, pulling the rear shaft eliminates any issues like a locked up ujoint or a grenaded tcase ruining your journey. It's just 4 bolts for a lot of piece o' mind...

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've pulled my M1009 with my M1028A2 for well over 500 miles one time and over 850 miles another time. Then finally 300+ miles.

ALL WITHOUT REMOVING ANYTHING. Put the transfer case in NEUTRAL (leave transmission in PARK), turn the ignition on to release the steering wheel lock (disconnect the batteries so you don't drain them), and do NOT tie the steering wheel down as you want it to allow the front wheels to 'follow' any turns the tow vehicle makes and tow it how ever far you want.

I normally towed between 55 - 60 mph. YOU WILL KNOW IT'S BACK THERE. No big deal, like pulling ANYTHING with no brakes leave plenty of stopping room in FRONT of you, as there is some drag to the tow vehicle. But as long as the vehicle you are towing is OK, you will arrive at your destination in great shape.

84 Blazer towed by 86 Dually A.jpg

that picture was taken as I towed the M1009 from Ft Riley, Kansas to Denver, Co - 500 miles in one day. NO BIG DEAL. Take your time, stay in the right lane and don't speed and you'll be good for a nice safe trip home.

Crash_AF

When picking up a truck you don't know anything about, I feel it's always better to err on the side of caution and pull the rear shaft. But yes, a properly maintained CUCV can be towed at highway speeds for however far you want to go with the transfer in neutral.

Later,
Joe