• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow Chains for the Deuce

NRG

I often go out and play in the mud with my truck and although I do have a winch... its a pain in the butt to operate and rewind back once you are done. I have been looking locally for some tow chains and no one has anything bigger than 3/8'' thick. My question is which would you have more confidence in and want to use:
3/8'' thick grade 43 chain or 5/16'' thick grade 70 chain?

MTO Farm Guide - 4d) Additional Information: Chain stengths

Normally the thicker chain means stronger, but from what the stats show, the 5/16'' grade 70 is stronger than the 3/8'' grade 43. I went down and looked at the 5/16'' and then looked at the 3/8 and I just can't bring myself to buy the 5/16 grade 70. Comparing the two visually the 3/8 is quite abit bigger and beefer looking than the 5/16. I just want to mention that grade 43 is not the regular type of chain, it is also of higher strength. What do you guys think? personally I don't believe everything I read and want to trust more steel per link, as long as its not pot metal. So i'm leaning towards the 3/8 but I would like to know what you guys think.?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
myself i would look at a 1 inch cable woud go less than 5/8 chain chain tends to break pretty quick if you jerk it . cable is a lot more forgiving

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also depends on how much ars you got, to drag that "heavy" chain. I recently tugged on 2 deuces cabled to a Unimog with 3/8 chain with no problem. Note that there are different grades of chain.

KsM715

Are you talking about using a chain as a winch line extension or to hook onto another truck and pull the stuck deuce out with the truck? If its the latter, dont use chain. If it doesnt pull out easily and slowly on the first try people tend to start to "get a run" at it and that always ends badly. Look for a recovery strap, one that will stretch. Try Master Pull.

If your looking for chain to use as a winch extension try AW Direct. Safety/Recovery Chains

Reactions: NRG

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chains aren't forgiving at all. Depends what you want to do. If you are just backing up to little stuff and driving it out, chain will be fine. If you have to snatch it, I'd avoid chain and cable at all costs. I have a 6" wide 30' strap I use with the deuce. You can do plenty of jerking with it, it wraps up small and can be carried easily. I have chains up to 3/4" but when I head to the trails, I only take the strap and a 50' section of cable for extra reach.

NRG

myself i would look at a 1 inch cable woud go less than 5/8 chain chain tends to break pretty quick if you jerk it . cable is a lot more forgiving

You don't think a chain that has a minimum break force of:
Grade 43 - 16,500 lbs
Grade 70 - 18,500 lbs

Is strong enough to use for pulling myself or others out? I don't use chain alot so I don't know what they will do, thats why I'm asking.

wdbtchr

You also have to consider who is rating the chain, if you're down at Harbor Freight don't pay attention to the ratings. You really should consider wire rope for recovery use.2cents

ODdave

i broke 2 3/8 #43 chains trying to pull a 8-9000lb tractor out of the mud with my 1028 if this tells you anything (i was aplying the "jerk" method, a known no no w/ chains) i would invest in a 6in 30-50ft strap LONG BEFORE even thinking of a chain.

rwoods

"My question is which would you have more confidence in and want to use:
3/8'' thick grade 43 chain or 5/16'' thick grade 70 chain?"

Chain for chain, I'll take the 5/16". Chain to unstick my deuce, or pull out something that needs a deuce - NEITHER!!! Buy a heavy recovery strap or recovery rope (not a tow strap or tow rope). Chain to pull (not jerk) something that needs the potential of my deuce - 1/2" Grade 70 or 80. 2cents Ron :)

rlwm211

Chain is best used as an extension for a winch. Cable is good, but tough on the hands sometimes and harder to coil up and store.

If I were in the market for a means of either pulling my duce out or pulling someone else's deuce out I would get a 6" tow strap. 30' at a minimum in length but I would use a strap first and always. This does not mean you can get a running start and hit the thing as fast as you can go, but you can use some momentum to help pull the stuck vehicle out.

The mudders long ago discovered the benefits of using a tow strap and they are pretty much universal in use by those who work hard at getting stuck.

Just my two cents worth...

RL

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't think a chain that has a minimum break force of:
Grade 43 - 16,500 lbs
Grade 70 - 18,500 lbs

Is strong enough to use for pulling myself or others out? I don't use chain alot so I don't know what they will do, thats why I'm asking.
Pulling out, probably. Snatching out, no way. If your 13,500# deuce is mired in mud up to the hubs, you can roughly figure it will take 1 1/2 times the weight of the truck to unstick it. That's 20,250# of force needed to move it. Compare that to your chain ratings. My 6" strap is rated at 60,000# and stretches when being snatched. That stores up a bunch of kinetic energy. Those chains will work fine of freeing the neighbors pickup but to free a tuck deuce, it's kinda right on the edge.

Oilleaker1

As a tow / pull out chain, Nothing beats the nylon tow rope. The best have a chain and hook "weaved in" on each end so you don'r cut or chaff the nylon. Buy one that matches the weight you want to pull. I have seen them for sale at tractor/farm implement stores. Don't leave them out in the sun. Much easier to carry also![thumbzup] John

ODdave

As a tow / pull out chain, Nothing beats the nylon tow rope. The best have a chain and hook "weaved in" on each end so you don'r cut or chaff the nylon. Buy one that matches the weight you want to pull. I have seen them for sale at tractor/farm implement stores. Don't leave them out in the sun. Much easier to carry also![thumbzup] John

AGHHHH NO !!!!!! THOSE HOOKS CAN TURN INTO A DEADLY MISSILE WHEN THEY BEND AND SLIP !!!!!!!! (SEEN IT HAPPEN) just buy one with sewn/weeved loops and SCREW pin clevises, dont buy cheep clevises either.

WyoDeuce

The problem is the "jerk" on the chain. The chain may be rated at 18,000lb but a dynamic load will quickly go beyond the limits of the chain.
A recovery strap stretches and spreads the instant force over time. Newtons laws of motion state F=ma. Force is equal to mass TIMES acceleration.
When you jerk the chain you are multiplying the 13,000lb deuce mass by the amount of acceleration you are trying to create. The harder you jerk the chain the faster you will break it. Using a strap reduces the acceleration component of the equation by stretching and therefore keeps the total force to a more manageable number. Using a chain to make a strap longer is fine.
For real wheeling and getting unstuck you need at least a 3" strap but a 4" or 6" is a MUCH better idea. The 2" parts store ones will break as fast as your chain.
four_by_ken is selling 3", 4", and 6" in the classifieds. I will be buying a 6" very soon because the snow is turning to mud and my buddy just bought 2 deuces. I finally have someone to pull ME out. :twisted:

NRG

I always have horrible luck with tow straps. I am usually pulling out someone I don't know and they run over my tow straps and fray them badly or the tow straps just snap. But I have only used the 4'' inch or so wide straps. I see that alot of you guys are using 6'' inch wide straps and having good luck with them. I may try that. I figured on the chain, because it wouldn't matter if the person runs over the chain and won't get damaged as easily.

blybrook

I know that to jerk a chain against a stuck vehicle is a BIG no-no, so I was taught another method that prevented us all from buying straps.

We take our 3/8" logging chain (grade 43) and wrap it through a large tire (no rim). Put some heavy canvas over the chain and you can usually get a couple good jerks before busting the tire up. Use a clevis to tie the chain end back to it's respective chain (permits sliding along length of chain).

I pulled out a JD350 Dozer that was buried past the tracks in clay with an empty Ford dump truck that way several years back. The dozer was able to get traction and start "digging" itself out after 3 good tugs and constant tension from the dump truck till it was back on solid ground. The dozer driver was then requested not to go back into that area again... (He ended up sinking it in a lake not 4 months later).

I only carry chains in my rigs. I've seen tow straps rot from improper use / storage. It's not that I'm against them, just that I have yet to purchase one.

WyoDeuce

I always have horrible luck with tow straps. I am usually pulling out someone I don't know and they run over my tow straps and fray them badly or the tow straps just snap. But I have only used the 4'' inch or so wide straps. I see that alot of you guys are using 6'' inch wide straps and having good luck with them. I may try that. I figured on the chain, because it wouldn't matter if the person runs over the chain and won't get damaged as easily.
You are right on about durability. A strap is easily dammaged but will handle the forces you need if cared for properly.

bassetdeuce

For straps, rinse out the mud lengthwise, then dry them in the sun. Keep them in a dry place until needed. I LOVE using the straps when recovering ATVs. The rubber band effect really works on those.

rwoods

For a simple guide on snatch straps see the government down under guidelines: http://www.juststraps.com.au/pdf/Snatch Straps Industry Guidelines Final March 08 Amended pdf.pdf

For more recovery information than most of us will ever need see: Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive

:soapbox: There is a huge difference between recovery straps/ropes and tow straps/ropes. No offense but IMO snatching with a tow strap or tow rope with attached metal hooks is more dangerous than jerking with a chain due to the release of stored energy when it breaks (and it will break before a snatch strap or snatch rope of similar size). Once again my two cents. Ron

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks