• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow light assembly TMs

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know where this goes, but since I'm pulling a 5-ton with a 5-ton, seems here is as good as any.

Being the military, I am sure they wrote a TM for this tow light. But I can't find anything. Specifically, looking for the diagram on wiring for this 8 pin plug.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Where do you find an 8 pin female plug? I'm tempted to rewire it to a 7 pin plug and make a jumper harness to a standard military plug. Unless someone has a better idea or a spare harness hanging around???

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
CSMDavis in Mississippi had a bunch of those at one time. I got a spare cable from him. I might sell the old one I replaced which had been spliced if you want to salvage the ends. To save on shipping I could just cut the ends off and mail them in a small box.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
you can always cut the wires and run the wires accordingly. They have the number tags on them. Just get an IV cable and splice into it.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was one idea, the wires do have the number tags on them, the numbers change as the go through the wiring on the unit itself, but I can figure it out. I don't even have a plug to splice them in to. Which is one problem.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One idea I had was to simply swap out the 8 pin for a 7 pin. I can easily find male and female 7 pins for nothing, and 7 wire cable as well.

Two of these 8 pins are ground wires, so my simple math says that 7 pin plug should work.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's pretty helpful! Good find, thank you. If someone has one wired up, that they will part with (or even rent out) pm me.

The different 8 pin configuration does worry me. Don't need to spend more time than necessary making this work.

I am still wondering, wouldn't wiring a standard 7 pin RV plug in there be more useful than hunting down an 8 pin that is possibly the wrong size? You can buy the 7 wire RV cable (6 wires are 12 ga white one is 10ga) at $2/ft. You have to buy wire anyway, this way it's all nice and neat.

Then wire in your 12 pin military plug on the other end and it's all good to go! I can't see that harness needing more than 5 maybe 6 wires tops.

Am I missing something? It is a tow light harness. Does it have BO lights? Is that one of the reasons for 8 pins? (Once again, two of them are grounded to the light bar frame). So you could get away with a 7 prong RV plug.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you are not going far at all. I tend to just leave the light switch lever on and you have brake lights. Or at night just leave the running lights on and unplug the headlights from under the hood so you have clearance and tail plus brakes. just no turns. Heck I am always in the slow lane anyways not like im going in and out of traffic.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are not going far at all. I tend to just leave the light switch lever on and you have brake lights. Or at night just leave the running lights on and unplug the headlights from under the hood so you have clearance and tail plus brakes. just no turns. Heck I am always in the slow lane anyways not like im going in and out of traffic.

The "park" position gives you markers and brake lights without headlights, and no need to unplug...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The "park" position gives you markers and brake lights without headlights, and no need to unplug...
Most of the ones i tend to grab have busted or loose 3ways. Plus all my trucks i sell to companies that leave these trucks places at night have the headlights unplugged. Good antitheft. Can't see and draws the attention of an LEO on the street.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, but I bought this fancy new tow light and I want to use it!!!

Good info anyway.

"Officer, I don't know why the turn signals don't work????"

I'm sure nobody has ever used that line!

Well, I think I'm going to buy a long piece of that 7/12 and fab up a 7 pin to 12 pin jumper. Swap out the 8-pin for a 7 pin RV and be done with it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Good info anyway.

Well, I think I'm going to buy a long piece of that 7/12 and fab up a 7 pin to 12 pin jumper. Swap out the 8-pin for a 7 pin RV and be done with it.
They would frown more on the fact that you can turn your brake lights off than a turn signal. Always handy for those people who have an attraction to the pintle hitch.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Good info anyway.

I speculate the only thing you'll lose will be the blackout lights that you'd never conceivably use while towing anyway....

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered 50' of 7/12 and a male and female RV plug. I'll replace the 8 pin on the bar with the 7 pin RV. I'll wire a jumper harness to the other 7-pin RV plug, but I need a 12 pin male/trailer side plug. I could pinch one off of one of my trailers, but, I'd rather not. Anyone have a spare just sittin round somewhere? Or recommendations on who to buy one from?

Thanks for the links and answers. Been a good learning experience.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered 50' of 7/12 and a male and female RV plug. I'll replace the 8 pin on the bar with the 7 pin RV. I'll wire a jumper harness to the other 7-pin RV plug, but I need a 12 pin male/trailer side plug. I could pinch one off of one of my trailers, but, I'd rather not. Anyone have a spare just sittin round somewhere? Or recommendations on who to buy one from?

Thanks for the links and answers. Been a good learning experience.
I've got one around here somewhere. I'll find it in the next few days and send it your way. (Still unloading/unpacking)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks