• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TOW missle system for M151 MUTT

dozenjeeps

I just got a line on a complete TOW missle system for the Mutt... I have a M151 and am thinking about buying it but not sure if I want the hassle of installing it and changing out my MUTT as it is pretty well set up now... anybody know of some pics I can check out to see it on a MUTT or even give me a idea as to the value as I think he wants to much but what do I know as I never even saw one on a MUTT.....

LanceRobson

I, too, do not have pics but if you put the set in you will loose the front passenger seat because that is where the ammo rack goes. The two seats in the rear for the gunner and assistant gunner are suicide seats in the event of a roll over or frontal accident. The gun trucks and ammo trucks had a heavier rear suspension than the slicks and all of the ones I saw and worked on were M151A2s.

Also, if you had the crew in back, a missle in the launcher and the other two in the ammo rack, the missle guidence set (MGS) tripod, launch tube etc, along with the radio the truck was still way over loaded, even with the heavier springs. If you didn't have all that stuff the heavier springs made the truck much more skittish than a standard M151A1 or M151A2 and even more prone to roll over due to the rear axle geometry. It got worse with rucksacks, water cans, small arms ammo etc but you likely won't be adding all that.

You state that you have an M151. Is it an M151, M151A1 or M151A2? The M151 springs and brake cylinders are likely not up to the extra weight of the kit. From memory the M151A1 didn't have the bigger brake wheel cylinders either.

Lance

dozenjeeps

The setup has the laucher and tubes and I think its complete but would like to see some pics of them and have had no luck as of yet... I have the M151A1 and have it pretty well set up as its original use which was a MP Jeep.... I have some stuff the guy wants from me and may make the trade and pay the extra, just have no idea what something like this is worth, but figure somebody must know what a complete set is worth and give me a idea... could always take it to IOLA next year as I always set up a booth to sell some extras and this will probably show some interest if I decide against keeping it myself...

dozenjeeps

tow missle for m151

Thanks to Jay for the pics, I also just got my Army Motors and was surprised to see the article about the TOW Mutts... thanks for also letting me know that.... I have gotten some interest in people that are restoring a Mutt with the TOW system and I may go ahead and buy the system.... Just seems like a lot of money and I don't really know much about the unit other than the Army motors article.. still no idea about the value of the unit...a few people would just like a couple of the parts and I would not mind doing that but would like to at least trade out or sell it for what I am buying it for.... may just take the chance and see what happens, have done dumber things in the stock market last couple years....

poof

Dirty Hippie
WOW.. I know you shouldnt Judge a Site by just a few Members... BUT.. this SS Membership sure is Better at responding to Questions than the OTHER Place you asked for some information. a few a$$hats sure make a place look bad.
Very informed answers here on SS, Polite even.. now for a Value? Inquire minds want to know.
J.P.

dozenjeeps

tow missle for m151

Yeah, I learned my lesson on that site, geez, just made a mistake in posting and get nailed for wanting to trade for WWII carbines!! whats the difference what a guy wants to trade for... and to ask a value, I get hammered... I have no idea what it was worth and didn't even know what the system looked like on a jeep!!! I must admit the few times I have been on SS, people help you not put you down!! anyway am trying to buy it today and will let it sit on the shelf.. may someday buy another MUTT and install it, I like the way my MP MUTT is now as I have all the radios, antennaes, 30 cal, and sirens, lights, and like it the way it is...hope you have nice weather like this next weekend at you POOFSTOCK, I had a ball at the first one and we sure had a good time at Aniwa and the deuce races!!! really would have liked to come but am still married and need to be home once!!! thanks for the comments...

nattieleather

Here is what a quick look on the web for TOW brought up. It even shows a TOW being launched from a M151 (M825 was what the MUTT became once the TOW was installed on it.) Also historically speaking the TOW was never fitted to the M151A1 because the system was developed until the M151A2 was in production. The M151A1C became the M825.

Anyway here is the link
BGM-71 TOW - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh and if your talking about a G site for M151s then yeah I don't go there anymore either.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might pm Nickd. He was building a TOW mule. I think you could find all the parts for a mutt with the exception of the actual launcher. That will be the really spendy item. Maddawg had a base awhile ago for sale and just that was like 5-700$ IIRC. Consider that 106 RR's go for 6K+ by themselves.

rickf

Nice guys, You know there are some of us who are on all of the main sites. I did not slam you over there, just pointed out some discrepancies. We still do not know if Dozenjeeps actually owns the TOW equipment or if he is selling it before he buys it. There is not a darn thing wrong with the 503 or the 838 nor the people on there. You guys just copped an attitude. I tried to explain why we said what we did but got no response. You are the only ones slamming the sites, that tells me it is not us.

Since you are slamming us without all of the information that was posted over there how about if I do a cut and paste of those posts and show these guys just why we said what we did and let them decide if we are as bad as you say.

Rick

dozenjeeps

tow missle for m151

I asked some questions about a Tow system I was thinking about buying and got into all kinds of trouble, I have been buying and restoring MV'S and Jeeps for about 5 years and did about 10 or so vehicles, Never even heard of a Tow Missile system, so I asked some questions..I was in the Army from 1966-1969 and never heard or saw a Tow system....... I admitted I made a mistake and dropped off the site so I did not antagonize the people anymore, never wanted to cause a problem.... now I have the system and its up on the pallet racking and probably will stay there as I don't want to cause another problem about the system, even though I would just as soon sell it or trade it out... can we finally put the whole thing to rest... I did as I have not posted anymore on the "other" site about TOW MISSLE SYSTEMS......

rickf

You did not get into trouble, We were questioning the timing of your posts. You offered it to one member but then offered it to someone else but you did not even have it yet. This was not a big deal, still isn't. The member that originally pointed it out is a long standing and well respected member on here also so calling us a**hats was not warranted nor appropriate. If you had just left and dropped it I would not have said a word but you had to go and slam the site and certain people, myself being one of them. I seem to remember I was just trying to point out to you why the comments were made. You are trading for live weapons but calling us hardcore. Why? Believe me I am all for gun ownership and if you two could do the trade then great. I do not consider myself hardcore. I have a very open mind when it comes to these vehicles and projects. All I ask is if you want to leave the site then do so, quietly. NOBODY slammed you, you just read that into it. I suggest you reread those posts with a more open mind.

BTW, Congrats on the TOW purchase, That is a rare bird if you got the whole thing. VERY rare, indeed.

Rick

Last edited:

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to spoil my own selfish needs (as I would like to buy the TOW stuff you did get). But they did mount these on M151A1s, also The TOW system was out in the late 60s. One of the more "published" pictures is of a USMC M151A1 from a left rear 3/4 view in the middle of firing.
From looking at the pictures I recived from you, you have about half of the items to complete the "kit" Biggest and most exspensive item is the traversing head, sight and the launch tube the missle tube sits in. Actually they are made of unobtainium. I have more in the Traversing head, tripod and sight than most people pay for a running jeep. But again these are the ultra rare items that are high priority "demil" items, and are just NOT available
PS Craig... If you are interesting in any other trade items for the TOW stuff I am good to go. I have Lots of various USGI toys.

poof

Dirty Hippie
You did not get into trouble, We were questioning the timing of your posts. You offered it to one member but then offered it to someone else but you did not even have it yet. This was not a big deal, still isn't. The member that originally pointed it out is a long standing and well respected member on here also so calling us a**hats was not warranted nor appropriate. If you had just left and dropped it I would not have said a word but you had to go and slam the site and certain people, myself being one of them. I seem to remember I was just trying to point out to you why the comments were made. You are trading for live weapons but calling us hardcore. Why? Believe me I am all for gun ownership and if you two could do the trade then great. I do not consider myself hardcore. I have a very open mind when it comes to these vehicles and projects. All I ask is if you want to leave the site then do so, quietly. NOBODY slammed you, you just read that into it. I suggest you reread those posts with a more open mind.

BTW, Congrats on the TOW purchase, That is a rare bird if you got the whole thing. VERY rare, indeed.

Rick

Well .. You cant let it rest.. I see your a busybody... cut and past all you want... but start here and compare with the same questions asked, and all the posts were answered politely.. he Dozen jeeps, last post here was a BIG Thank you... and over on the other site.. by the 3rd post he was waltzing in the place and before it was all done Dozen jeeps was apologizing.... and that was total BS.... you were the only one to continue to post over there.... and by the way... if you check I did NOT name and still haven't the other site...You did Name SS over there how ever. I did say "a few a$$hats sure make a place look bad. now you have come over here and want to take a few more pokes.... let it be, there were no retorts after your posts over there... but now you came here looking for some explanation.... well now you are filling the A$$hat shoes... go and TROLL else where... if you cant see the fact he was just looking for fast information..and nothing more.so he could take advantage of a deal before him. you are a cynic.. the fact he looked into the Weapons forum is clear.. Tow system = weapons system.... now while there he saw a post by me.. and posted in that thread,, MY thread... Directed to me and me alone..he happens to know me and saw a bunch of my carbines at IOLA swap... but you and the others didn't know that... and its really not any of your business.... but because of your lack of knowledge of this... you jumped in and had a conspiracy theory going amongst your self's...
now I'm sure you will run over and have all your cronies look at what I have posted here.... so be it....that's what a busybody...TROLL dose for self fulfillment.. you have extensive knowledge Rickf stick to that what you know and you will be loved....

To Quote DJ..
"Hi, I have a line on a guy that has a full TOW setup including the tubes... don't know much about the thing but the price is stopping me as I think its alot... any idea on a ball park figure, its supposed to be complete even more than your pics show....thanks if its more than I want to pay will possibly set you up with it... craig"

That is not an ..to quote you.Rick.'You offered it to one member but then offered it to someone else " you used this same example on the other forums.. its wrong.. there was no offer made

thats no offer.. its a Possibility like it could happen.. might happen but for sure not..I dont want it, its yours offer..
Respecfuly.
J.P.
"

Last edited:

dozenjeeps

tow missle for m151

THANKS POOF, I rest my case.... actually none of it is really worth the time and effort to explain anymore...left me with a sour taste and I am not a wiz on the computer to begin with, can't post pics, can't figure out all those cool colors and other do dads on a site, so when I asked about trading for some carbines I thought I was on a PRIVATE MESSAGE to you and screwed that up.... so am trying to stay more as a reader and not poster... really only wanted to find out what the heck a TOW Missle system was... packed it away on a shelf and someday will decide what to do with it... Really like the pics of your MUTT and now mine is really looking good also, put on duel rear post antennae, with the 30 cal and new siren etc... anyway take care and the pics of POOFSTALK Fall look great, sorry I missed it... craig

rickf

I sent a reply earlier and I don't see it so I may have been deleted but I will try again just to be sure. I am not a busybody, I have plenty to keep me busy. I only tried to explain why the comments were made, I did not make the comments. I have no problem with the trade that was offered, I would love to have that stash of carbines. I only chimed in here because you guys slammed the other site and a few of the people including me. You will find I do not back down when confronted but I prefer to avoid confrontation. I will say no more on this subject but if you want to contact me I am not hard to find. I will be at most of the shows in the east or I can PM you my number and address. If you check around you will find I a not the A**hat you think I am. If you want to continue to believe I am then so be it, nothing I can do about that. Have a good day all.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks