• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow rope?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........................... I'd bet lunch that it wasn't a snatch strap at all but the more rigid and non-elastic material used for slings and such.
Very likely POLYPROPYLENE which is used in straps, slings and ropes, for towing, tie down and even lifting purposes, but NOT for vehicle recovery since it's virtually NO stretch!

NYLON is the way to go: with its ability to stretch up to 25% under tension and then retract it would free any stuck rig, provided it is of adecuate rating. (suggest 6"x30' = 60.000lbs breaking strenght, to always carry in your Deuce!)

Stretch and elasticity of a nylon strap coupled with the forward momentum of the towing vehicle eliminates the dangerous jerk, thereby decreasing damage to both vehicle tow points.

2cents

G.

rmgill

The question is, do you have the tractive effort to recover the vehicle or do you need to add the weight of the recovery vehicle as inertia to extract the stuck vehicle.

Personally, I like the idea of snatch straps for smaller lighter vehicles, but the idea of such for big heavy vehicles seems sort of crazy.

My recovery kit on my truck is a combination of grade 43 chains for anchoring to objects (Like a tree or another truck and using the winch OR using the heavy chain that I bought at the Marietta GaMVPA event. iirc it's 3/4" chain at 20 feet with a pear link on both ends and a grab hook on one end. Great for wrapping around something (like a rail car knuckle) OR hooking to a shackle on a truck to be recovered.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ryan, bring the deuce to the next GA rally. I'll have my 6" strap with me and we'll play with it. It really works great when it's sized to the vehicle.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, the one at Haspin was a lifting strap that pulled the bumper off. No stretch to it. Adam went forward in the 818 and the Deuce just sat there but the bumper ripped off the driver's side. Nothing like a crowd of guys watching a night recovery in a mud hole.

sw

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going respecfully disagree with you on this one. My common sense tells me that the stiffer, non stretchable tug ropes would be harder on your towpoints than the more elastical snatch strap. I'd be interested in seeing the material of the strap used to rip off your bumper. I'd bet lunch that it wasn't a snatch strap at all but the more rigid and non-elastic material used for slings and such. Again, I wasn't there but the thought that a more elastic material would be harder on tow points than the less stretchy rope just doesn't make sense in my little brain.
Remember, they call him RECOVRY4X4 for a reason! Thanks, Kenny.

Crackerjax

Straps & Belts

I use the 120k model I have a 5 foot and a 50 foot both with loops on both ends(flying metal sucks)..... we had a battle on pavement between 2 m35's and played tug of war with no problems ... if you brake one of these straps you have a problem... I have had mine for about a year and a half now... still solid these people do great work.

Last edited:

goat whisperer

Hi,
we are using selfmade ropes. One of us is scout and has experience in making ropes. the ropes are differend in lenghts and tractive power. The ropes are like a rubber band, they elongate up to 20% before they are tight. So you can drive with full speed into this rope and pull vehicles that are much heavier than the pulling one softly but with lots of power...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3wVPKkKodg[/media]

Last edited:

goat whisperer

Another example for the elastic rope...
The car with the elastic rope pulls much more than the car with the static rope...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xQTFpkYQC0[/media]

rwoods

Let me preface this by saying, I'm not an expert. But unless you just want to make a dangerous activity (vehicle recovery) even more dangerous, you need to know the difference between a recovery strap/rope and a tow strap/rope. There are lots of web resources to help you pick the right size and application. There is also a lot of mis -information out there (including flawed "research" by the Mythbusters on the dangers of breaking cables). You can always find a way to recover your truck but you can't restore a life you maimed or taken by accident.

BEASTMASTER

i,m OLD fashioned. i still use a good old piece of 3/8 american made chain. if that breaks i go to the 5/8 chain. if that breaks i go to the 1 inch cable. ain't had the 5/8 or the cable for a long time.

Josh

I've always been afraid of shock loading a chain.(I think I said that right). For strait pulls with out a running start, chains are what I use. But if i have to use the inneria of the truck, I'll use nylon straps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks