• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tow straps how they work

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Multi loop straps. Used for strapping down vehicles and equipment in transport or securing to parachutes for air drop. They will pull what they are rated for and more all day long. I have lots of them and use them all the time for pulling stuff.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They don't store kinetic energy like a recovery (snatch) strap or AKERR. They are slightly more forgiving than chain but not ideal for snatch recoveries.

TehTDK

All the recovery drills we did were with a "cloth" strap between the recovery and the stranded vehicle. Pulled tight and then the recovery vehicle pulled the other one up. I have never tried the "run up" "bungie" style rescues, I just know it requires special straps that can expand and contract for it to work

Another Ahab

The distinction here is the difference between two styles of strap:

- STATIC (no stretch), and

- DYNAMIC (stretch)

Here's a link to a blog that has a (relatively) short explanation. There are blogs that go longer and deeper into, but it would just waste your time (and they mostly just turn into "pissing" contests). Here you go:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I use these 5 nylon strap ones that are stated to be rated at 44.5tons. 12ft long. Pretty good stitching. I have broke two of them since I started using them. One on a dead pull on stuck equipment that was very close to its rated capacity. And another one on a pretty good snatch on a very stuck truck. They are handy for me to use with the mud bogs and what not being that the little trucks are nothing to pull out and they aren't so cumbersome around the front bumper or to get out out of the box and carry around. The only downfall is that they are only 12ft. Still work well on short snatches.

In the video you can see some movement in the strap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTFNyOjVlFg

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatever I use I always pull on both frame rails the same as close as I can. If something was stuck bad enough and you pull on just one side you could shift the frame rails.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks