• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towbar adapter machining... rdixiemiller?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robert, I have these adapters on unknown application, they are too fat to fit the medium towbars and the hole is a bit too large.
I know you machined yours, could you do the same for me and for how much? A sleeve would be needed to snug up the fit too.

Thanks,

PS. I'm asking in public, since others may have the same problem.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a dumb question - I know custom towbar mounts and feet are in high demand by SSers here; how difficult would it be to machine a custom set of towbar adapters, using a CNC mill and a chunk of steel? I wouldn't think it would be too hard, or expensive for that matter...if you have the CNC!

mangus580

Re: RE: Towbar adapter machining... rdixiemiller?

maddawg308 said:
Just a dumb question - I know custom towbar mounts and feet are in high demand by SSers here; how difficult would it be to machine a custom set of towbar adapters, using a CNC mill and a chunk of steel? I wouldn't think it would be too hard, or expensive for that matter...if you have the CNC!
Making one, wouldn't be too hard. I think its more a matter of liability and such once its made. Will it have the same strength as the cast ones, etc.

Jones

RE: Re: RE: Towbar adapter machining... rdixiemiller?

The originals are forgings and my biggest concern would be strength of the finished part. I posted a thread on adapter cracking in conjunction with showing a broken one to my motor pool guys that got everybody excited enough to do a systemwide Guard unit inspection and that was on the forged "factory" ones. Towbar failures at motor pool speeds are something to write home about; but out on a recovery trip they could be spectacular. If we have one let go we're to make an emergency application of the towed truck's air brakes and let it drag us to a stop. Otherwise, there's no way you can safely stop with only one leg of a towbar connected and the towed vehicle will try it's darnedest to take out the towing vehicle too... in addition to anything else in it's path. If it's going to see highway miles it gets trailered or hauled by a recovery/tow truck.

rdixiemiller

I can machine the adapters without too much trouble. The bushing I use is available at Tractor Supply, I think mine was $4 or so. Send them too me and I'll ut them down for you.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Its funny you posted this now, as I just ordered a set like you have pictured, and plan on having them cut down too. May I ask what you paid for them(Bjorn)?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks Robert, please PM me your address and I'll get them in the mail with return postage.

Gimpy, I paid $60 for the pair with pins from Kevin Hilding.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Towbar adapter machining... rdixiemiller?

Jones said:
........ If we have one let go we're to make an emergency application of the towed truck's air brakes and let it drag us to a stop. Otherwise, there's no way you can safely stop with only one leg of a towbar connected and the towed vehicle will try it's darnedest to take out the towing vehicle too...
Kind of hard to separate the braking systems in most cases unless you are towing with a truck tractor, right?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Towbar adapter machining... rdixiemiller

Robert: Do you have any photos of the finished product, I am going to have the same thing done to a Large Towbar set.
James G.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Towbar adapter machining... rdixiemiller

Cool, 60.00 is what I paid too, with pins. Thanks.

papercu

towbar

There is a MWO for the towbar to sleeve each end of the medium towbar bar because of cracking at the welds.
I'll hunt my copy up and try to post it if anybody need one. Wayne

Jones

RE: towbar

Right Bjorn and that's what we tow with. We'll move one with another cargo if only to get it off to the side of the road but no long hauls with them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: towbar

Kind of hard to separate the braking systems in most cases unless you are towing with a truck tractor, right?
On this note, Boyce Equipment offers the kits to add a trolley brake to trucks. I was seriously considering adding one of these to the wrecker. I use the heck out of the one on my tractor.

rdixiemiller

Towbar end after machining.

Here are some pics of the end I machined. I faced off top and bottom sides pretty equally on the Bridgeport with a carbide face mill. I have a regular medium towbar end like this out in the shop, it matches my machined one well. The color is because I threw it on the powder line at work and painted it Bobcat charcoal gray.
The bushing is somewhere downstairs, I think it is 1 1/8"X1".
Just in case you are wondering, these are forged steel, and really tough to cut. You get really blue chips when machining these.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Towbar end after machining.

You are not a Miller for nothing, that's beautiful!
Between you and Leonard Jones, there is little you couldn't machine to perfection. :)

You should all see one of them Gattling guns Leonard makes, wow!

alphadeltaromeo

Re: RE: Towbar end after machining.

cranetruck said:
You are not a Miller for nothing, that's beautiful!
Between you and Leonard Jones, there is little you couldn't machine to perfection. :)

You should all see one of them Gattling guns Leonard makes, wow!
:funny: excellent point CT he is quite the wiz aint he.

emr

RE: Re: RE: Towbar end after machining.

I'm not sure I understand, i have a set of those and they work perfect with my tow bar's ? big hole deuce or five ton small hole m37, just flip em over, what are your plans for them , sorry for being slow, Randy