• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TOWBAR ID and parts needed to tow Deuce with it

jhooah

A friend bought a Medium Towbar he was told for a Deuce.
It's non-adjustable and has what appears to be 2" holes where the end adapters would go, additionally, the ends are angled. (if the photo's attached)

Anyone know where he might locate a set of end adapters for a Deuce?:jumpin:

It's not a heavier tank towbar, as it's missing those carrying handles, and the standard medium I have has adjustable legs with smaller holes at right angles to the tubes.
V/R W. Winget
Carrollton, Virginia

Virginia Military Preservation Association
www.vmpa.us

Attachments

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Not all mediums have adjustable legs , ive had one that wasnt. It looks like you have a specialized tow bar for a certain truck or certain type. Chime in guys who know better.

tm america

From the pics it looks as if only one leg has a bend in it... which would make me think it was involved in an accident .2 inch holes are a heavy tow bar ..i would think it was for a light armored vehicle like a m114.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't tell from the pics, but could it be assembled wrong? If you flipped
one side over, would the ends come out the same angle?
Bruce

emr

Not an accident at all, thats the way that tow bar is, I also have one for many years, i hope u did not pay much, there are no known ends for it, It is a specialty bar for sure, it is also to short for a deuce, sorry but true, U need a real medium tow bar that has pics through out this site, of course U can have ends made, but then again it will cost more than the correct one , and it is to short for anything but a 1 and a quarter ton and under, , a medium is for a 5 ton and down, there is no special bar just for a deuce, It is cool to have around, but no known use yet, for the 14 years i have been checking. If U find out it will be a big deal, there are a few of those around and a few that guys on this site have also.. good luck, U need to read alot of the links on towing , since U are starting out, this is the right site to do that for sure..... good luck... Randy

emr

oh the legs are oposite the bends do/will go the same way... but thats the way it is its perfect for what it is., I see it mentioned it may go to a tanker/hemmitt tow bar, no way either, and the m114 did not have a its own bar either. the holes are not 2 inchs on the big heavy bar, and they do not match up to this smaller bar, this bar is about / or is the same pipe diameter as the medium but is shorter for sure, and the holes for the feet are actually a little to wide for the heavy bar feet to work, and for how short it is it would not be good for anything any way, u could cut off the oddball loops and weld on an end that would accept the regular feet, but then again it sure would be cheaper to buy a good medium anyway...

jhooah

Unusual Towbar

Thanks for the info, I figured it may be something for the 5T FMTV or such, but only time will tell. I have two tank bars and two mediums (one snapped in half) been using them for years, best advice is to pull in the truck as close as possible, and use a larger towbar when in doubt....Did you know you can't SAFELY tow a Semi out of DRMO with a Medium hooked to the axle...Well after snapping it twice, aua I managed to get her out the gate so we could "hire" a wrecker to move her properly...

I'll pass word to him.
V/R Winget

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually may have a use for a bar similar to that one. Anyone coming to the GA Rally want to make a good deal on an otherwise useless towbar?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That used to be one of the towbars I had. It is a short heavy, or at least I call it that. Was meant for the 10-ton cargo trucks many years ago, it is listed as a BII in the M123 series, shown in the manual. Jim Henry said he had ends for them, but not sure if he still does, he said he scraps them a lot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks