• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towed Tractor Home

m139h2otruck

On Saturday, a good friend "volunteered" his time and the use of his Ford Louie tractor w/ fifth wheel tow bar/hoist to bring our Mack powered tractor home from the office. After a short time rigging up a hitch to the rear of the tractor, and removing the front hubs, we started off @ 30-35 mph to cover the 30 miles home. No real problems, but the rear of a 5 ton military tractor is a lot heavier than you would expect. It also is a lot higher than a standard truck and made for a close fit. Rear tires hit the road a few times but no damage. Now have a lot to do!!

m139h2otruck

Late pictures in yard at home.

Attachments

m139h2otruck

Just drove it around yard @ work, transfer case won't stay in high so that is why the tow home. Engine acts "new", just been setting I think since 1989 when rebuilt. Frame has some rust, but not bad, looks like it sat on a dock or something with salt mist or air on it. Cab is almost rust free, could be newer, as hood is one piece, without nose seam.

m139h2otruck

Great looking truck VT. Since we will be using the new tractor for work and a little play, it won't look as good as yours. Just going to paint it 24087 with hardener, no mil marking and a few stencils. Hope to install winch from spare M139 and maybe super singles later (46") when the 1100x20s wear out.

FormerNewMVGuy

I hope its okay to ask? how much did you pay for your tractor? They always seem to go for alot of money around here. I looked at a couple on the gl site thta were at lake hearst naval air here in new jersey, and they went for around $6000 apeice. thta is what i originally wanted, but got the deuce at a reasonable price.

m139h2otruck

No problem, I won the truck on e-bay @ $4,300 plus the trucking from CT to NH @$730.50. Expect of spend at least $7-9,000 total on truck before we are done.