• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing 30k lbs?

Dbluff

Was looking if anyone is towing around their equipment with Deuces? I have a 28k lbs excavator and just checking on mostly flat ground around town if the deuce LDT engine can handle this or not?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only if your trailer has good brakes.

Best if they are air w/spring brakes, as your truck is designed to work with them.

If so, install a "Johnny bar" to be able to use them without pedal. That really helps in some cases like fishtailing or loading/unloading.

If not, there are cylinders available to use the air to set hydraulic brakes (even the M105 trailer has that).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Was looking if anyone is towing around their equipment with Deuces? I have a 28k lbs excavator and just checking on mostly flat ground around town if the deuce LDT engine can handle this or not?
I am assuming you are talking about on a pintle?

You have a 28k excavator plus a trailer that weighs at least 10k.

Stupid to do, especially on a road with air over hydraulic brakes.

Then If the pintle weight doesnt wheelie the Deuce it would pull it. In low range.

5 tons max out their pintle towing at 30k. Just to give a comparison

Dbluff

Ok, thanks. I have seen my same Excavator pulled by single axle small dump trucks. Figured it may be close in a weight comparison balance. Again only on pretty flat ground around town at low speeds 45mph or lower. Just seeing if I could use the deuce for some work here and there, not daily.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel qualified to chime in, because somehow I find myself in situations where I have to do shady stuff.

- can the LDT pull a 14t excavator plus float trailer (tandem axle, I suspect)? Yes. The LDT will be able to get going on flat ground in low range in first gear and your clutch better be good.

- can the Deuce STOP a 19t towed load? Not safely. I would say NO, unless the trailer has fully functional air brakes and spring brakes (as already laid out above). In fact, you want the Deuce brakes to do as little of the braking as possible when set up with a heavy trailer. The Deuce weighs 6t empty. I would not trust the Deuce parking brake with that trailer weight for loading/unloading or, forbid, for any emergency stopping attempt.

- will you do 45 mph? After prolonged periods of flooring it, you might eventually arrive at that speed. I would not recommend it. It will be scary. I pulled a 5ton wrecker once. Reminded me of why pulling a really heavy load with a really not heavy tow vehicle is thrilling. But I had to do shady stuff, so.... In short, I would stay in low range and definitely not go 45mph. Low range should get you up to 30. See how that feels.....

- The Deuce pintle is rated for 5 tons. The data plate on the dash indicates that what you are hitching up far exceeds the numbers on the data plate. People of the enforcement persuasion might find this interesting. Take that whichever way you want.

Tomorrow I go drag a CAT323 excavator (25t) on a tri-axle float trailer with lift axle (6t). Pintle towed but I tow it with a triaxle dump truck that weighs 13t empty. This rig would be road legal here at 72t total weight (9t per axle). I did that once (triaxle almost fully loaded and towing said excavator). Could eat half a sandwich between one gear shift and the next!

Last edited:

HDN

I will keep it as is, for light duty and fun
I think you'll enjoy it more that way too :driver:

I'd be hesitant to use anything but a civvy truck to tow something like that, unless I really need AWD. Then I'd consider one of the heavy military trucks.

Would any of the military tractor cabs be able to tow like this with the pintle, or does the trailer load need to be on the 5th wheel?

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1: you should be more concerned about stopping power and pintle capacity .. you have plenty of gears for that engine to get you anywhere you need with that load, you have low range all the way up into 5th (@30mph) before you hit the high side of the xfer case to go any faster , but a deuce is only rated at 10k towed pintle load highway .. 5-ton M39-series and M809-series is 30k towed pintle load highway .. Bad me, I have towed a beavertail load of 34k with a M52 (tractor) instead of the M51 (dump) in order to have better control of the trailer load and the "overloaded" pintle connection... Had anything broken, we all know right where the liability would have been placed

2: If you do choose to use a (pre-M900 series) 5-ton to tow a tag-along, you will want very good air brakes on that trailer, preferably maxi's in case something goes very wrong on the head end

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've never been accused of being smart when it comes to towing. Many will speak about the things I've done towing with various MVs. From pulling a LTMV trailer caged behind a CUCV, to towing a 21K ditch witch on a gooseneck behind it.

But I've done these things out of necessity, not willingness. A LDT powered deuce has enough work just moving itself down the road. Go from 13K to 51k and you're gonna push well past any safety limit. If you want to tow that with a MV, find a M915 or something more suited to towing that kinda weight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks