• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing a 5 ton

rwelker

Hello all. I managed to win a 5 ton on the last GL auction, now figurering out how to get it home. (It's listed as not running). I've tried to tow a M35A2 before without luck. The front wheels would just turn one way or the other and then drag. My towbar is nice and tight so I don't know what the problem was. I had even adjusted the tow-in both ways a bit to try to help without luck. I just hauled all the M35's then but this 5 ton is too heavy for my trailer. I know I can tow the weight with my M35, it's just whether it will track or not. I know many of you all have towed in the past. Are there any tricks to avoid this wheel dragging? Of course the driveshafts will be dropped. If I can't tow it (I don't have far to go) then I'll get someone to retrieve it with a tow truck. Thanks, Rick

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get it trucked. It is not advisable to flat tow a heavier vehicle with a lighter vehicle. I have no idea where Gratz, PA is, but I am assuming you are not far from the GL site. If that is so, get it trucked. It can't cost you much money. Better safe...than sorry! For you, trucking should be reasonable because of the probable close proximity.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Amen to Bruce - I've done a considerable amount of flat towing (well, considerable to anyone but Kenny) of deuces with deuces - once you learn the "tricks" its not tough.

Moved a dead five ton around on an airfield with a deuce - that taught me I'd not even consider the tow on the highway.

DD

Cdub

What may be the cause of the towed vehicle tracking problem considering if your moving a deuce with a deuce.......??

Thanks,

C'dub

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure, but I've had the same problem when I tried towing an M109A3 with an M35A2. However, I've heard from many people that they have successfully towed M35s with M35s. I will add that it should track fine with very gradual curves such as those found on a highway. They don't like 90 degree turns. When I towed an M35A2 with my old M929, I had a friend driving in the M35A2 to make sure the steering wheel tracked properly. We did drive on the highway, but, as I understand, that is a big no-no. A cop would tend to frown on that and you would probably get a ticket. Fortunately, I only had a few miles to go.

Jimmy

I never really paid much attention to how big a M911 really is until now with the above picture, WOW it is huge, makes the 5 ton look like a toy! I will have to add one to my wish list.

M1075

Re: RE: towing a 5 ton

Jimmy said:
I never really paid much attention to how big a M911 really is until now with the above picture, WOW it is huge, makes the 5 ton look like a toy! I will have to add one to my wish list.
Yes, the M911 it is pretty big. Keep in mind that the 5 ton in the picture is an M812, the biggest 5 ton out there. The M812 rides on 14x20 tires, has the 215" wb, and is overwidth.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
when I flat towed one deuce with another I was fine on the road, but in the parking lot and getting out into the road I had to have a helper steer the towed truck or it would not track and then drag.

Jones

Vehicles towed with a tow bar track better if the drag link is disconnected from the Pitman arm. Otherwise the worm and sector inside the steering box acts like a brake and doesn't let the steering easily correct itself.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet with a M911 towing that deuce it feels like there's no load at all.

In the reverse situation, I bet AMGeneral had a fun time last year towing that 10-ton home from the junkyard with a 5-ton wrecker!

CGarbee

The image in my mind (no photo to go with it, just a report from the guys who did it...), is of Gimpy hauling my M817 from the GL lot to a remote storage site using his M109... They said it was a tad slow and smoky going up some of the hills... :)

dmetalmiki

on the subject of towing

Can anyone pinpoint these adaptors that came with a box of (ons) Complete A bar chain fastners adaptors BUT NO (original) as in the tm adaptorsI obtained 4 a realy good price. They dont conform to any of the TMs and or pics . there were several of these boxed kits for sale. RARE. here. (1 kit = £100)

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: on the subject of towing

what is the nsn number on those adaptors

dmetalmiki

RE: on the subject of towing

numbers on run as...H2971 90031 437-90 they new unused....AND they would (actualy) configure the same as the AND leave an "eye" for lifting..(with my (an) M62!) tho that would NOT be a good idea!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks