• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a Deuce

rd69599

Anyone have any tips on preperations for towing a duce? Im going to remove all the drive shafts to rear axles and check rear end fluids. Is there anything else I need to do before towing it 144 miles. Thanks for any info.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Towing a duce

I would leave the shafts in place and remove the front drive flanges and rear axle shafts. You can do this without having to crawl under the truck and it guarantees that even if you have bad diffs or gearboxes, nothing will get damaged further. Just my humble opinion and the way I do it.

RE: Towing a duce

:ditto: if you have a extra set of front drive flanges put them on in the rear to take place of the shafts and you dont have to worry about them leaking out fluids during transport

rd69599

Great, What you guys said makes perfect sense. Im glad I asked the question. I dont have any flanges would a thick piece of conveyor belt bolted on work? THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INFO

got a 1/4" steel plate. i can get the bolt pattern for you tomorrow. and then just take some RTV to use for a make shift gasket. main thing is need to seal it so dirt dont get in or axle oil dont get back out

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fronts have wheel bearing grease so they shouldn't make much of a mess. You can take the removed front flanges and put them on the back to cover 2 of the hubs. The other ones can be blocked off with a piece of wood if you like. You can also mipe them clean, put a plastic bag over them and get out the duct tape. If the deuce runs or you have access to air, you can knock this task off in less than 10 minutes. Great way to fly!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to pull my parts truck to my shop down the road (about 10 miles). Is it really nessasary to pull the axles for short trips? I looked in the -10 and it didn't mention anything about it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope Ty, just throw the trans and Tcase in neutral. Also make sure you put the max air pressure in the front tires. It will track better for ya.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I towed a couple deuces home, I left the shafts in, left everything in neutral, and strapped the steering wheel in place. Not sure that last step was really needed, I just got kinda nervous about towing a large truck, and the wheels/steering wheel takes a sudden turn after hitting a rock/pothole/etc.

M1075

I towed these home last week with everything in neutral. Even though I aired up the front tires, the 1st deuce didn't track very well around corners. I wonder if the angle of the towbar impacts the tires tracking or not tracking. Or, maybe I just have a disgruntled duece.

Attachments

reb87

I had a problem with my 109a3 that I was pulling with my m35a2 from norman to nebraska. When I was pulling it slowly around a corner I had to have my 11 yr old son man the steering wheel on the van truck. It would sometimes turn the front tires the opposite way I was turning. I was using a medium heavy bar and I think it may have been making the pulled truck go a little left when I was turning right. The first time it happened I almost had the rim on the pavement before I got it stopped. (peeling the tire sideways) Didnt have any problems on the road but only when going slowly around a in town corner, it got to where I just had him sit in the van truck when we were in town.