• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a deuce??

Zack

Just wondering if anyone on the site has used a 2500 or 3500 series truck to pull their deuce. I am planing on towing my truck down to fl rally with my f250 diesel on a goose neck trailer. Just wondering if anyone else has attemted this.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A deuce on a gooseneck is probably exceeding the capacity of a 3/4 ton truck.

Zack

The trailer i am looking at using has brakes and my truck has a brake control.. my deuce weighs 13000lbs i figure the trailer will be 2500 to 3000 .. with all of my gear and passengers i am figuring a towing weight of 17500.. i have spoke with a few folks that are diesel mechanics and they said the truck should handle it fine. just wanted to know if anyone else has tried this.

Capt.Marion

Most people use F350s at the least, from what I've seen. I know that I would at least want a dually with the higher capacity rear suspension to be pulling a 13-14k load with a gooseneck, although my experience is limited and I am definitely not an expert.

AaronW

We have a member out here who does it safely. Stalwart has an F-450 I believe and a gooseneck trailer equipped for the weight. He has posted about it a few times. Do a few searches.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Dodge PW (2500) is rated to tow 10,000 lbs, and I understand Power wagons are rated for less than diesel 2500s. What's your 250 rated for? I'm guessing it close to what you're looking to tow. Look at what you're rated for, look at any upgrades or preparation to mitigate your risk, then make the risk decision if you're going to go beyond factory rating.

Personally I won't go beyond what the factory rates it for even if I think it'll do it, but that's just me. Go for accessories that are rated beyond what the truck will do so as to eliminate any possible weak links, top notch maintenance, and of course driving habits that lower stresses on equipment and loads help too.

Just noticed youre just up the road from me [thumbzup]. I do t think I've seen another privately owned MV in the area since I've been here. Always good to know there are fellow SS's in the area. Good luck with the trip!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trailer i am looking at using has brakes and my truck has a brake control.. my deuce weighs 13000lbs i figure the trailer will be 2500 to 3000 .. with all of my gear and passengers i am figuring a towing weight of 17500.. i have spoke with a few folks that are diesel mechanics and they said the truck should handle it fine. just wanted to know if anyone else has tried this.
You might want to have the trailer weighed thats seems pretty light for a gooseneck , my bumper pull 16 foot flatbed weighs #3000 empty without the ramps.

SMOKEWAGON66

I pulled my M109 home from Barstow over 100 miles on a 5th wheel trailer behind a F-350 super duty. The trailer was a 20' +- dual axle dual tire equipment trailer rated for 20K pounds. It had really good brakes on it. Front to back GVCW was around 23K. If you were going to try it, I would definitely suggest you get something bigger then an F-250....and I would recommend it be a HD dually for stability. Also get a trailer with a rating at least 5K lbs heavier then your truck.... just my2cents

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i have pulled mu deuce wothout a trailer with a homemade tow bar , using my chevrolet 3500hd a nomber of times , just pump up the front tires , that works for me
:cookoo:
NOW THIS IS ASKING FOR TROUBLE, things worked a "number of times" each time things worked your odds went up, till the odds bite you in the A$$ with a super event and a good chance of hurting or killing somebody

Bighurt

I'd like to see a trailer capable of holding 13k and only weights 2500-3000 lbs itself...

Ford lists the 2002 7.3L powered F250 at 14,400 fifth wheel tow capacity. Or 12,500 bumper pull. This is based on standard equipment.

I think you better find a safer option.

Diesel_Gypsy

You might want to check if you need a CDL for that. Several jurisdictions require it for trailers over 10,000 lbs (including load). If something were to happen, they could void your insurance if you weren't properly licenced.

Wouldn't want to see them get off the hook that easy!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob the deuce and it will be about right! LOL Tongue in cheek humor for those who lack humor.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've pulled close to 100 deuces on my triple axle 21K gooseneck behind my 3/4 ton with no problems. As long as the trailer and truck brakes are working properly it works great. I'm not sure if the trailer you are talking about is big enough for hauling a deuce. Remember, a trailer that is rated at say 14,000 lbs can NOT haul 14,000 lbs, you have to take the weight of the trailer plus the weight of the load to get your overall figure.