• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a deuce??

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

rronning84

I told my deuce camper on my gooseneck behind my F 450 from Oklahoma to Anchorage Alaska pulling it was fine but stopping was a real pain. just take it slow leave a lot of space between you and the vehicles in front of you and plan your stops ahead.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
We used my buddys 2011-3500 dually to pull a deuce.He had a 10 ton goosenack trailer.No problem I used a f550 dually to pull a 10 ton trailer and haul a deuce ,no problem I wouldnt want to do it everyday.

BEASTMASTER

i got a buddie that went thru that fiasco a couple years ago. was going along nice no problem, and blew a tire on the trailer. wound up off the road and cost him over $8k dollars for the wreckers ,just to put his p/u back on the road. they held his trl. and deuce hostage for payment. ya, go ahead and " do it"

Searay182

I dont think I would even attempt this type of haul without a tandem axle dually trailer, that is coupled to at least a 3500 dually. The dually axles are going to help support the load and most importantly help reduce sway from those cross winds you will encounter when a big ass semi truck passes you on the freeway... Just sayin.

EWhytsell

I don't know why this gets asked so often. Its pretty simple, just about any truck could move a deuce on a trailer. The real question isn't any more complicated than adding up the weights and seeing if its under the rated capacity of your given truck. In the end only the upper tier of 1 Tons from each manufacture can legally haul a deuce and many would argue that is the minimum truck to do the job. Stopping isn't more difficult than practicing safe driving and having fully operational towing equipment. The trailer should be able to stop the load on its own and if anyone is using their truck's brakes to stop they are doing it wrong and going to get hurt someday.

Anything more than what the law requires and your just adding "margin of error" which is never a bad thing.

sandcobra164

I'll chime in on the capacity of the towing truck argument. I picked up 5 Mep 003A's which weigh around 1,200 each, pulled a trailer that weighed about 1,500 with no trailer brakes. I took my combo on the scales with my 97' model 1500 Chevrolet powered by a 5.7L Gasser (Vortech) and we were just shy of 13,000 pounds. It was slow from a stop but rolled pretty easy at road speed. Stopping was a whole different thing. If someone had "brake checked" me, I would be putting new sheet metal on my truck. I chose a route that was very rural once out of town and I planned accordingly while in town to ensure I had a smooth trip. If I were going to trailer a Deuce, I'd make sure that I had a 3500 or 350 Diesel powered Duramax, Cummins or Powerstroke powered Dually. As for flat towing a Deuce, good luck with that, I've done it and I'll only add that you might want to tie the steering wheel off in the straight ahead position. I've had one lock the other way during a turn at low speed and it brought my (at the time) M936A2 to a halt. I had to clear the cars from behind me so I could back up a few feet, turn the steering back to straight ahead and tie it off in that position. I should have lift towed on that day but I couldn't find my axle clamps.

EWhytsell

I'll chime in on the capacity of the towing truck argument. I picked up 5 Mep 003A's which weigh around 1,200 each, pulled a trailer that weighed about 1,500 with no trailer brakes. I took my combo on the scales with my 97' model 1500 Chevrolet powered by a 5.7L Gasser (Vortech) and we were just shy of 13,000 pounds. It was slow from a stop but rolled pretty easy at road speed. Stopping was a whole different thing. If someone had "brake checked" me, I would be putting new sheet metal on my truck. I chose a route that was very rural once out of town and I planned accordingly while in town to ensure I had a smooth trip. If I were going to trailer a Deuce, I'd make sure that I had a 3500 or 350 Diesel powered Duramax, Cummins or Powerstroke powered Dually. As for flat towing a Deuce, good luck with that, I've done it and I'll only add that you might want to tie the steering wheel off in the straight ahead position. I've had one lock the other way during a turn at low speed and it brought my (at the time) M936A2 to a halt. I had to clear the cars from behind me so I could back up a few feet, turn the steering back to straight ahead and tie it off in that position. I should have lift towed on that day but I couldn't find my axle clamps.
In that situation in most states had you been inspected or involved in an accident and then inspected you would have been found without brakes on a trailer over the limit for "towing without brakes."
I wouldn't want to be in that situation and anywhere I go I end up passing several commerce patrol vehicles and/or weight stations so lots of opportunities to get inspected.

sandcobra164

I should have been more specific concerning the scales I crossed. They were not DOT scales, they were the scales on the base that I work on and I was just curious about the weight. I can also tell you that my M1028 weighs 5580 pounds, my 93 Eclipse weighs 2,700 pounds, my 01' Trans Am weighs 3,500 pounds, my work HMMWV weighs 10,500 with USMC MAK Armor, a HMMWV with FRAG 5 armor and a turret weighs more than a Deuce, a MRAP Buffalo weighs about 58,000 and so on. The scales on base are unattended and I was just posting in a negative light about towing overloaded without brakes. I've not always made the right choice and I was merely pointing out that it may work but it's certainly not the best of ideas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks