• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a fifth wheel toy hauler w/ LMTV

Third From Texas

I use the Converter Dolly. That way I do not have the 5th wheel on the truck. Commercial pin and RV pin are same diameter. The dolly has air brakes and landing gear.

View attachment 860116View attachment 860117
What's your total length there?

I imagine that with a 50' trailer that's quite the train.

I don't imagine you back trailers into a parking spot with that very often, though.

:)

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I don't imagine you back trailers into a parking spot with that very often, though.

Attach files

Front bumper to pin is 30 ft.

Reversing is impossible. Perhaps a professional driver with doubles experience could, but I'm not that guy. I used to laugh at those videos of guys ramping trailers/boats into the water, not so funny now ;)

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You just add two arms to the dolly to pin to a trailer and it becomes 1. You can use 5 ton wrecker boom transport arms
I am having trouble picturing that. I believe you, just don't know what that looks like. Once the dolly is connected to the toy hauler, it does not have to be disconnected: the decoupling happens at the pintle. So yeah, making it one would work.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I am having trouble picturing that. I believe you, just don't know what that looks like. Once the dolly is connected to the toy hauler, it does not have to be disconnected: the decoupling happens at the pintle. So yeah, making it one would work.
Worth 1000 words

This is a stock setup on that trailer

Attachments

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the Converter Dolly. That way I do not have the 5th wheel on the truck. Commercial pin and RV pin are same diameter. The dolly has air brakes and landing gear.

View attachment 860116View attachment 860117

I put it on the scales. Note that the front and rear axle weights total about 3000 lbs less than stock, because of all the stuff I removed. The bed being the lion's share of the weight loss. The 3rd axle weight is the weight over the dolly axle. Add about 250 lbs for the "tonguscales dolly.jpge weight", that puts back the 3000 lbs.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bit more complicated, and not sure it would work that easy for a LMVT

My M51 dumpt truck can be converted into a tractor in about 30 minutes, and back to dump in about 40 minutes.

Pictures are on our website. Under those pictures is a link to a description on how to make the conversion (no pics).

On SteelSoldiers I have a thread on how to do this with pics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks