• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a M1009I

Fred431

I won a M1009 on the latest GL auction and am planning for contingincies if I cannot get it started to drive it home from Chambersburg. Can this be towed with a M1008 or other pickup and if so any tips.

Thanks
Fred..

mangus580

Sure can!

Its pretty much a 'hook & go' scenario. I would remove the rear driveshaft from the axle connection, and tie it up. This keeps your transfercase fluid from leaking during your trip. Make sure your front hubs are unlocked. Hitch up the towbar, slap on some lights, and head out. (dont forget to unlock the steering!!)

Fred431

Towing a M1009Thanks for the encouraging

Thanks for the encouraging info. I forgot to ask one more question concerning keys. My M1008 is a Canadian one. Are the keys the same as the US ones or do I have to scout up a differant key

Fred

mangus580

RE: Towing a M1009Thanks for the encouraging

That I am not sure.... but you should find the Key Code via a search here...

jimm1009

Towing a M1009

I have towed my M1009 several thousands of miles. Used it for my daily driver to work. Traveled a lot and got stranded when I had to turn over the company truck to the replacment guy coming on. Lot's of B.S. there, get a rent-a-car. Right! Rental cars are hard to find in a 1/2 horse town 50 miles from the next.
Oops, sorry about the rant from past.
I disconnected the rear drive shaft, wrapped duct tape around the universal bearing caps to hold everything together, put the clips and bolts in the glove box, and towed away. Used a medium towbar with 1 inch pins. The key code for the US CUCV is 73Y2 and that is a B key or commonly called a trunk key (rounded edges). I don't have knowledge of the Canadian CUCVs though.

An easier way to tell is to take a door cylinder out and check the code on it. If it all true military then the door cylinders and the iginition cylinder should be the same as intended.
Don't remove your driveshaft at the forward end so it will keep the juice in the transfer case and keep the dirt out. Just use good quality rope and tie it up in one or two areas under the truck. Rope is cheap compared to a driveshaft or repairs to same. Use lots of rope and good luck.
Jim

JohnFire

RE: Towing a M1009

I often hear of having to disconnect the rear drive shaft, but doesn't putting the transmission and the transfer case in neutral accomplish the same thing? I know the drive shaft would still spin from the axles, but wouldn't it just be free spinning. I am just curious and want to know. Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

It won't circulate lube in neutral. Thats good for short tows only. Just towed Dmans M1009 500 miles without issue. They are great towing vehicles

AJMBLAZER

Has to do with the rear driveshaft spinning the rear output in the t-case, cavitation, and a lack of lube.

I worked as a tow truck driver for about a week and that as the recommended procedure for RWD vehicles being towed.

Crash_AF

Newer New Process (New Venture) transfer cases have an oil pump on the output shaft to circulate lube while the T-case is in neutral to allow flat towing. That's why you see Jeeps and such being towed behind motorhomes all the time. The older NP208 cases in the CUCVs do not have this pump and therefore should not be towed any significant distance in neutral.

Just an FYI, if you are flat towing a vehicle capable of having the T-case in neutral, leave the auto transmission in Park while towing because the transmission is NOT lubed by the T-case pump and its pump is on the input. The driveline friction will cause the trans to spin in neutral and will burn it up.

Later,
Joe

jimm1009

Towing M1009

You could tow the truck for a maximum of 50 miles per the GM service manual and owner's manual.
If you want, you can tow the truck for about 25 to 30 miles with engine off. Pull over, start up the CUCV and tow for about 15 miles and then stop and shut it off. Then finish trip with the CUCV off.
Transfer case and transmission in neutral while idling. When shaft is disconnected it does not matter where the tranny is as long as it is not in park so the wheel can turn. The ignition key has to be turned slightly to unlock the steering wheel.
I used to disconnect the batteries and turn the ky full on to make sure it did not baounce back and log=ck the wheel but that is for several hundred miles at a time.
Make sure your tires are to the max air pressure for towing too.
Jim

TOBEXA

is a brake controller needed? i want to tow mine behind a 12ton RV.....I'm still trying to get my hands on a towbar :shock:

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I burned up a transfer case on a jeep cherokee from flat towing with the driveshaft connected. I learned my lesson the expensive way. Have towed my M1009 probably 1500 miles now and always disconnect the driveshaft. They tow very nicely, just a little heavy on the big hills.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks