• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a M35?

Derek1836

Hey guys, new to the group here. I’m looking to purchase a M35 and use it as a back country hunting truck in Alaska. My question is does anyone trailer there own deuce? I have a DRW F-350 and with the right trailer I definitely have plenty of truck. I’m curious if anyone has done this and is a CDL required? Just doing some rough numbers it looks pretty close to CDL requirement.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys, new to the group here. I’m looking to purchase a M35 and use it as a back country hunting truck in Alaska. My question is does anyone trailer there own deuce? I have a DRW F-350 and with the right trailer I definitely have plenty of truck. I’m curious if anyone has done this and is a CDL required? Just doing some rough numbers it looks pretty close to CDL requirement.
You do not need one in Alaska as it reads in the law.

Weight only factors in if it used in commercial use as it is worded when exceeding 26,001lb

davidb56

Probably not a good choice for back country travel. they are very hard to turn around on mountain dirt roads, and when they get stuck.....you're screwed. The only way they I'd even think about a Deuce for that is a bobbed one with 2 electric winches for the front and back, and a tote goat mounted in back as a emergency escape vehicle.

Derek1836

Probably not a good choice for back country travel. they are very hard to turn around on mountain dirt roads, and when they get stuck.....you're screwed. The only way they I'd even think about a Deuce for that is a bobbed one with 2 electric winches for the front and back, and a tote goat mounted in back as a emergency escape vehicle.
A lot of the places I have hunted have 20- 30 miles of pretty decent trail; that is where the bigger rigs stop and set up base camp and do day trips on wheelers or on foot. It actually works out pretty well. But yes. I’m definitely going to out fit it with a couple electric winches.

davidb56

A lot of the places I have hunted have 20- 30 miles of pretty decent trail; that is where the bigger rigs stop and set up base camp and do day trips on wheelers or on foot. It actually works out pretty well. But yes. I’m definitely going to out fit it with a couple electric winches.
thats good. Here I plowed the glad hands off twice trying to turn around without tumbling down the mountain side. So now I take my Subaru up looking around in advance like a scout vehicle.

ToddJK

Might be worth it to either find a deuce with a winch already or one that has all kinds of upgrades like air powered assist steering ect. If you do electric winches, rarely have I seen a 24v one, which be a good idea to install a 12 v alternator and a third battery if you run a heavy duty 12v winch.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be worth it to either find a deuce with a winch already or one that has all kinds of upgrades like air powered assist steering ect. If you do electric winches, rarely have I seen a 24v one, which be a good idea to install a 12 v alternator and a third battery if you run a heavy duty 12v winch.
Warn 18k 24v electric winches are plentiful. They were used on MRAPs and frequently show up on the surplus market.

Barrman

You want to trailer it to the trail head or just to get it initially? You could always flat tow it at a slower speed. I brought one of mine home with my M715. I had a pair of M715 engines in the back of the M715 for ballast and 26 mph was as fast as I could go and still have control. But, a tow bar is a lot cheaper than a trailer and I only had 50 miles or so to go.06-12-17.m358.JPG

Derek1836

You want to trailer it to the trail head or just to get it initially? You could always flat tow it at a slower speed. I brought one of mine home with my M715. I had a pair of M715 engines in the back of the M715 for ballast and 26 mph was as fast as I could go and still have control. But, a tow bar is a lot cheaper than a trailer and I only had 50 miles or so to go.View attachment 847784
I will be trailering it to the trail head for sure.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Not a big fan of flat towing, since theres no additional weight on the tow vehichle. Clutch went out on mine, towbared it about 50 miles over a Georgia mountian, what you guys call a mole hill, with a F350 DRW, 45MPH max. Was a little nerve racking the only reason I went forward wth the tow was the deuce sets higher than the dually so when I was on the brakes it was pushing down on the tow vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks