• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

...towing a tank?

LightningCato

Okay, so I bought an OT-90 yesterday and have been talking to numerous people about this since...

Is it possible to tow a 14 ton tank fifth wheel with a 2000 F-350 with a 7.3L V8 diesel turbo?

My trucker / mechanic friend told me yes with a few modifications and another mechanic friend told me I couldn't. I've also heard that I could only tow with a CDL with heavy endorsements rating.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How far?

At what speeds?

How often?

LightningCato

Probably between 100 - 200 miles at the most for shows and what not. Mostly just local travel.

Speeds, I can keep it down to 50MPH if I use highways verses interstates which are 70MPH where I live.

Hmm, probably around five times a year max, mostly to local things.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say no way.

First off, a trailer that would haul it will weigh in around 8-10Klbs.

Your truck will not haul that(loaded).

You will be in CDL territory

And you would be way underpowered.

Not to mention braking.

You need a tractor trailer and a detachable lowboy.

And a CDL.

trukhead

Cool! If I was You, I'd get me a late model M1070 and title it in Wisconsin with an HMV plate. With that plate you have no weight restriction, no air brake restriciton and no need for a cdl!:jumpin:

Then I'd take that ole 1070 down and have a nice custom aluminum rollback fabbed up and boda bing, bodda boom,yer golden!:driver:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats the GCWR of your truck? What is the payload capacity of your trailer? Its probably as simple as that...

I can't speak towards CDL information in South Carolina.

moose97

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/cdl.htm

Classes of License:
The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:
Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Well, let's see... 14 ton tank = 28,000 lbs alone. No matter what your F-350 weighs, let alone what your goose neck weighs, you're going to be over CDL weight. Get to work on that Class A. And I agree that you need more truck.
Probably should have though about that before you bought a tank...

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
even if you upgraded the transmission and engine and axles, you wouldn't be able to do an emergency stop...

You need something bigger, truck and trailer wise.

LightningCato

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I knew that a F-350 pulling 14 tons alone sounded pretty inaccurate when I heard it - so, I wanted to check to make sure I wasn't missing anything. As for a CDL I've actually planned on trying to work on it starting this August probably. I've actually planned on getting one for awhile now, I just haven't had the time. I'd help also if the place I was looking at taking classes at would actually contact me back.

moose97

Georgia offers non-CDL licenses that cover CDL weight ranges.

I know, I have one.
And that's fine. Minnesota doesn't - no idea on SC for the OP. Going by advice from a weight cop on driving an over weight vehicle because it's not being used commercially (especially if non-CDL licenses for over weight ranges aren't available) is just asking for trouble. Federal regulations require special licensing (and hence testing) to be allowed to drive trucks 26,001 lbs +. Why risk it?

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one too. It's a class a non- CdL. I also carry a copy of both federal and state statutes in my heavy trucks. No CdL required if your stuff and not in commerce. The weight cops may stop you, may try to give you a ticket but will lose in court. Ask me how I know.

dont know about MN. But federal loan does not apply. States can pass stricter laws.

hope this does become another CdL thread

carolinanum1

U can doit/ not legally

Look at the GVWR of your truck. Most insurance is invalid if the GVWR is exceeded. If what your pulling(trailer + load) exceeds 10000 lbs you need a CDL. I've done it but that doesn't make it safe or legal, and I wouldnt do it if I had an option!!!!

PS. TRY to find an option.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks