• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a Wrangler with a deuce- Brackets?

BadMastard

Ok, a new thread. I've got a wrangler 2008 with a set of tow hooks in the front, on top of the bumper. What I want is to be able to tow the wrangler with the Deuce, using a lunette type tow bar, preferably military.

The problem I'm having is that no one makes tow bar attach points for the TOP of the front bumper. I don't think the bottom is going to work out for the angle to use the tow bar.

I'm thinking top of the bumper is better for using the deuce, but I'm open to why it might not be.

If you agree, the question is- who knows of anyone who makes such an attachment, or possibly who has a tow attachment they think would work, say from a cucv? I'm willing to drill and attach, or even better would be to find one already made I can bolt up to the existing tow hook attach points.

Thanks in advance, and yes, I searched first. Lots of data on how to tow a deuce, and how to trailer a vehicle, but I'm looking to use a flat tow for my little jeep behind the mammoth grandpa jeep.

BM

Attachments

Last edited:

ProviderDriver

I also have a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited in Rescue Green Metallic, VERY cool choice! I used to flat tow all 3 of my Wranglers over the years...

I think the hooks would be too high up and you will put a torsional twist in the bumpers...I would also be concerned with the airbag sensors... The attach points for the new wranglers require that the frame be cut down in width to accommodate the attach points for the hitch spreaders...One option is to get one of those big off road bumpers and attach to that up higher than the standard points...In a panic stop without a Brake Buddy, you will probably twist the attach points and send them through the radiator.

Do you have a drop down receiver hitch? The DOT does have Dingy tow attach bracket height requirements to eliminate "submarine-ing" of the towed vehicle under the towing vehicle. (similar to the ICC bars on the back of tractor trailers) I think there is something about the tow-bars must be within a certain degree of parallel to the road surface. You could get a drop down for your truck, change out bumpers to get a higher attach point on the jeep and/or put a bigger set of tires and/or lift kit on the Jeep too.... just my 2cents

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Couldn't you find a set of deuce mounts and bolt them on the little jeep?
Good question from the "Tow Ho".rofl

I'm not sure how you feel about appearances but I would lose that plastic sissy bumper and make one that looks like a mini deuce bumper. Build it out of wide channel iron, bolt it securely to the frame and put some deuce shackle mounts on it. That way you can use the Medium tow bar and it will pull fine.

I plan on doing the same thing to the Diesel Ranger so I can use it for recoverys.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mounts. I don't know if the top of that bumper is flat but I have one or two thoughts. The rear shackle mounts on the 5 ton are flat and tri-angle shaped. They use a standard 1" pin. Another thought is the mount for the back of back of the deuce is a smaller version of the 5 tonner and takes a smaller pin, might even be 3/4" which would be great. Food for thought.

Armada

This wrangler had tow hooks. We removed them and mounted shackle mounts from an M151. The fog lights were relocated. The medium tow bar worked perfectly. The jeep has been towed many times this way since. I have a set of magnetic mount lights with 24v bulbs in them and a harness made up to plug into the mil truck. HTH

Attachments

BadMastard

All,

Thank you! It seems I must replace the sissy plastic bumper, alas. Well, it was sun bleaching anyway! Armada, it looks like you used the steel frame underneath the plastic sissy bumper to mount the m151 shackles, which looks just about perfect. Gimpy, are the m35 shackle mounts about the same size? Because from what it looks like, I'm going the shackle route, killing the sissy plastic bumper and using that with the tow bar Gimpy is going to give me for free. Well, I can dream, can't I? Anyone know where I can get the shackles at least?

BM

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea for a M35 looking bumper! Just watch out for too much weight on the front springs! Measure bumper to ground with stock bumper and again with a "big iron" bumper. The best bet is probably to check for front springs from a Wrangler with snowplow kit. It's amazing what a difference it makes to hang 100 lbs that far forward on the rig.

BadMastard

The modifications have begun! The factory plastic is off, and the 1/900000th's thick factory steel bumper frame is exposed with a quick mount for the fog lights. Having seen the frame up there, it looks like using a bit of steel is the solution. I bought 5 feet of 6" tube steel, 1/4" and cut it up a bit to make a 6x3 bumper out of it. Yes, it looks a lot like a deuce bumper now. I've left enough steel on the top for a winch mount, and shackle mounts. Funny part? The weight of the factory bumper with plastic is only 5 lbs lighter than the solid steel. Go figure. Couldn't use channel steel, lip was too short on it, but the tube has nice rounded edges, so it works great. I should be able to start mounting the new bumper tomorrow, pics will be forthcoming.

Now to source a tow bar. Missed one in Idaho by about 15 minutes at the swap meet, but I'm hoping Gimpy, when he recovers from Haspin, will have good news. Now, do I paint the bumper to match the deuce, or the jeep? Decisions, decisions....

BadMastard

Ok, the mostly finished product is up! Bumper even has a winch mount point. Grade 8 bolts all around and two freshly primered shackle and mounts. Thanks for all the suggestions, I went with making it look more deuce like, because who doesn't love that!

Attachments

BadMastard

Thanks! The mounts are the rear deuce mounts. I lucked out that the only piece of steel they had in the right size was powder coated green. One more pic!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks