• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing an M1009

Hey all, I am looking to tow my CUCV with my M35A2 from Fort Bragg NC to Fort Benning GA in the near future. I plan on using an ex-mil towbar anyone have any suggestions or comments. Thanks

JohnFire

do a quick search, there are a whole bunch of threads on this with good indepth details for towing these trucks, I think we had one on it last month even. All I know is drop the rear driveshaft.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drop rear shaft, unlock front hubs, put key in and unlock column, add lights, hook up and go. No finer toad in the MV world.

2deuce

I have towed mine twice with my deuce in the last week. They tow nicely. Like mentioned above drop the rear driveshsft and have your front hubs free. I just disconnect the driveshaft at the diff and tie it up between the mufflers. Long tie stays work great. If you remove it completely you will lose oil. Make sure you put lights on your M1009 and don't forget its back there when changing lanes. One thing you can't do more than a few feet is back up so be careful what you drive into.
Have a safe trip,
Greg

HighAltitude

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will be towing an M1009 this week. I've read through the many posts on the subject and think I'm ready. One question, since I don't have one handy to look at, can somesuggest what tools I should have to disconnect the driveshaft at the rear differential? I plan on being ready and will have all the basic gear with me...just hate surprises several hundred miles away from home!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
7/16 boxed end wrench and some tie wire to tie it up. Bring tape to secure the caps as well.

7/16 wrench. I like a long one, more leverage. And a long screw driver to pry the shaft out of the yoke. They like to stick sometimes and are hard to pull out. I strap the shaft up with a minimum of 3 straps. I dont want to loose it

SGT Estum

I would also bring along some PB Blaster (or penetrating oil of your preference), a hammer/mallet, and a portable air compressor. When I recovered my M1009 I had to air up the tires before it was safe to drive down the road.

Harbor Freight sells some magnetic mount towing lights that you can get for $10 with coupon. I cut the wires and spliced in more wire to make it so I could run all the way to the back of the M1009. It worked out really well.

HighAltitude

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotta keep it free. The M1009 trailed very well and kept the turning radius pretty tight. Had a few tight maneuvers required getting through gas stations with no issues. The M1009 pretty much followed the tracks of the tow vehicle. I gotta say, I way overthought this event. I wasn't sure what to expect. In the end, it was way easy. I followed the tips & advice from this forum. (1) Built the towbar from this forum, (2) kept the steering wheel free, (3) made sure the front hubs were free, and (4) disconnected the rear driveshaft from the differential - leaving it connected at the transfer case and just tying it up with a couple of those big, heavy zip-ties. Piece of cake. No worries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks