• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing an M101 with my Crown Vic Station Wagon

Mike_Pop

I picked up an M101 with surge brakes and wanted to tow it with my Crown Vic station wagon. I really wanted an M416 but the price for the M101 was too good to pass up. I'm making yet another cross country trip from NJ to NV in a couple months. A couple questions:
1. Any suggestions on towing upgrades? (I've already got load leveling coil shocks on the car)
2. Can a class III hitch be installed on a wagon? (of course I will have to get a pintle receiver)
3. Would I need stabilizer bars or other towing equipment?

Anyone with station wagon towing experience that can chime in, I appreciate it.

Thanks!

m.walker

I had a crown vic wagon and towed all kinds of stuff . I had a trans cooler , 2" receiver style hitch , cargo coils and air bags in the rear . It was a great car for towing ( heavy and long ) . If you aren't loading the trailer too heavy it should be OK . I don't think you'll need stabilizers , just don't have too much tongue weight . I pulled a car on a trailer with mine and it did fine !

acetomatoco

A crown vic wagon...must be a Country Squire. Has to 1991 or earlier... good cars. I have towed 30000 miles or more with the CVPIs. You can get air shocks for the rear and they work really well...I carried a little 12 compressor and adjusted them to fit the load. There are bolt on class 3 or 4 hitches available for about $1C. You get the pintle hook adaptor which allows you to mount the pintle about 8 inches above the hitch and off you go..level ride and all is good. Is nice if you have the M101A2 (M116A2 surge brake) Chassis and the cucv wheels, but a bunch of us have towed the old 900 16s with no brakes all over the country.... One trip from NY to Wichita for the MVPA national convention a few years back with a 1987 Crown Vic. Cop brakes, cop shocks, cop springs, cop oil coolers, etc to quote Elwood Blues.

Mike_Pop

ACE,cucv

Did you have any problem with sway when you pulled the 101A1? The trailer I have is an M116A2 with the CUCV wheels and I will put some 18" high sides on it. I'm hauling some metal Jeep tops and some tools, not much weight, maybe 1,000 lbs.

The car I have is just a regular 1987 CV wagon. If it were a Country Squire, it would be worth twice as much. I picked this one up for $900 last year with the intent on flipping it but I liked it so much I kept it. It just turned over 100,000 miles and the interior is showroom condition. An old guy owned it. I also have a 1985 CV sedan with the police package. It's a great car with the 351 but the rings are worn from idling a lot. It too only has 100K.

Mike_Pop

I've got load leveling coil shocks all around. I usually keep the tires inflated to what is recommended on the tire.

Thanks for the advice, I just wanted to know if anyone had done this before and if it were feasible on a wagon that doesn't have a towing package.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks