• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing an M818

Lorax

Howdy. My M818 EUC should be clearing sometime in another week or 2, and I'm thinking of having it towed home due to a fuel issue. It's about 60 miles away. Reading through posts, I've seen people say to remove the front drive shaft, remove the rear rear shaft, lift the front onto the wrecker, or flat tow it.

I'm confused as to which way to go, but figure at least to lift the front, or remove the front shaft at least. Is it overkill to do anything other that hooking up and letting the wrecker tow it, or should I remove shafts and lift the front for the 60 miles tow?

Irv

I towed a M52, a M818, and a M52A2 all flat, no problem. Towed behind a 5t cargo truck with mil towbars. Didn't remove any shafts at all. Did speed limit on freeway. Felt stable. Never felt funny. No heat build up on any hubs, transfer case, etc. Didn't have to run a bungee to steering wheels. One rig had frozen steering mechanism, so I disconnected the Pittman arm and let it float free. Never saw any damage at all from towing.

beaubeau

If U flat tow, no Problems as it is. I towed my M818 500 miles behind my Deuce and No problems. Just make sure all drive train is good, Ujoints, drive shafts not bent and tires inflated to Specs. Good luck, Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks