• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing and road side assistance

zout

Towing companies if inquired - dislike towing RV's. They will take any route possible to elude hooking them.

You might get an exception - but they will make the $$$$'s on the hook.

When I was with a truck dealership that bought out Oskosh frame division and sent all the dealerships notifications they were now woeking on RV's - the first thing that was in the packet was how much the owner loved to sue and get attorneys involved in any cotten picking bitch they had. Rvers would not even go to stoop to sit in the OTR drivers waiting rooms. You had to literally kick them out of the rv to work on it.

The latter had not much to do with a tow - but I was on a roll. Truck dealerships hate working on them more than tow companies like to tow them.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have ZERO experience with roadside service for the deuce and other large military vehicles, however in California the deuce is classified in the commercial weight class even if it is registered as a RV, Historical, or Non-Commercial vehicle. Also, a commercial drivers license (for non commercial use) is still requied and so is a air brake endorsement. (Recent DMV laws)

So, i think it would be very expensive or at the least would require a over sized recovery vehicle like the 5 ton wrecker.

Anybody ever hear of a service contract for deuce and above vehicles?

I would have trouble getting my M43 (around 8000 lbs) towed by the standard tow truck.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
THANK YOU TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER !

I may have an excuse to buy a 5 ton recovery wrecker truck that my wife might buy into.

I am sure she would not want to pay for towing Baby Huey home if it broke down somewhere and left me stranded.

Or maybe not?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I just stand on the side of the road with a forlorn look on my face and depend on the kindness of strangers.:mrgreen:

Or call my logger buddy that has a 5th wheel wrecker attachment.......he usually rescues me for less than a 100 bucks.

plym49

I just read the AAA towing terms and conditions and I do not see any exclusions for a commercial vehicle (which I find hard to believe). Has anyone used AAA to tow their Deuce?

Flyingvan911

I've heard mixed results about AAA towing. I talked to a AAA rep who said the deuce isn't bigger than an RV so towing should be fine. Others have said AAA won't tow MV's. I would recommend knowing some SS members near you and near your route. Atleast have someone's phone number who can put up on SS that you are broken down and need help.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder how many of the big tow trucks have pintle hitches? If you had a tow bar that might make it easier for them to tow you providing you don't have something wrong with an axle.

Srjeeper

Food for thought...

While they tell you "yes we will tow it" on the phone when your thinkin of buyin a policy, when tow truck driver Joe pulls up and says "Dat aint no RV" and refuses to hook on, then what?

Heard of this happening with AAA, not the company in your post, but I would check into their claim much deeper, so as not to be sittin on the side of the road pleedin with Driver Joe.

Some have weight limit restrictions (like my insurance co.), some have sleeping quarter requirements, etc. than can either make or break the deal. aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks