• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing capacity between 5 ton and a 10 ton pintle hitch

ihmopar

What is the difference in towing capacity on a 5 ton pintle hitch and a 10 ton pintle hitch? I am looking to put one on my m919 and need the strongest one possible.
Thanks Terry

M1075

How much weight are you trying to pull? I would be more concerned with the fabrication necessary to build up the rear of the M919 so it can exceed the capacity of any pintle hitch you add.

M1075

A 5 ton pintle hitch should work fine for you if fabricate a suitable mount. The M920 is rated for 47,403# drawpull pull. The M919 is chassis is similar in design.

doskiez

If I read this right you are saying that you will be towing equipment + trailer that would equal 40,000 to 45000 pounds. F that is the case that trailer would snap a 5 ton pintle off your trunk. It sounds like you need a 30 ton to be safe, giving you 60k for combined trailer weight and probably 6000 verticle tongue load.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It is not a matter of what the frame or the hitch can hold cause trust me you will have to have alot of dead weight to brake the pintle, the LOCK is the weakest part not to mention with all the slack on the pintles when you brake and then accel.

I would talk to a hitch shop and they can make you a pintle that can handle whatever weight you want. I towed an excavator around behind my 5 ton on a pintle a few times the hitch didnt have any issues that was a 10k trailer with a 30k JD120.

I went to a 40k rated gooseneck plate that I had built so it would pull a little better. The biggest plate I could find was 30k in a flat plate but the shop I used made the ball 40k rated through some heat treatments. I am sure they can do the same with a pintle.

They make a 20ton pintle hitch but it is only going to be as strong as you make the mounting for it.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BUYERS-PRODUCTS-Pintle-Hook-6ZAP1

Last edited:

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This Holland hitch is very similar to the 5-ton hitch, dimensionally.
PH-775-01552
Swivel mount pintle hook designed for extreme duty construction, logging, milk hauling, and primarily off-road applications.

20,000 lbs. (9071 kg) Vertical Load
100,000 lbs. (45359 kg) Gross Trailer Wt.
Weight: 60 lbs. (27.22 kg)

The values also meet the commercial ratings applied to the standard 5-ton hitch. At least the ones we have tested. Mounting the hitch is the big deal. You will pull the frame apart at the moorings before you destroy one of these or a 5-ton hitch.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
IF you are going to pull 40/45000 lbs, I would use a bigger pintle then 20t, I would use at LEAST 25t (50000 lb) if not higher, using a 20t at its max load is asking for failure, the slam bang, shock loads will REALLY over load a 20t with the weight you want to pull, FATIGUE cracks are guaranteed, then FAILURE.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah that is why I got away from it. I do not like pintle hitches at all with all that slack behind you. That is why I was saying maybe have one made, but its only gonna be as strong as what you put it on with.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This Holland hitch is very similar to the 5-ton hitch, dimensionally.
PH-775-01552
Swivel mount pintle hook designed for extreme duty construction, logging, milk hauling, and primarily off-road applications.

20,000 lbs. (9071 kg) Vertical Load
100,000 lbs. (45359 kg) Gross Trailer Wt.
Weight: 60 lbs. (27.22 kg)

The values also meet the commercial ratings applied to the standard 5-ton hitch. At least the ones we have tested. Mounting the hitch is the big deal. You will pull the frame apart at the moorings before you destroy one of these or a 5-ton hitch.
This one requires a 25% load reduction for off road use

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering the shock loading you can get on a pintle hitch; the ultimate load is going to be 1.5X minimum and is probably 2X or more. Squirt-Truck is right. You will pull the hitch off the back of the truck first.