• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing capacity for M1009

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All,
I'm going to be pulling a 14,000 capacity 2 axle trailer with gravel in it about 10 miles. Wanted to see how much weight others have pulled a short distance like this. We're in Central Indiana so won't be going over any hills at all. Don't plan on having it full by any means just looking to see what others have towed.
Thanks

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I pulled my former 4,000 pound curb weight TFK at 45MPH and had to do a panic stop on a back road 2 miles from the house and bent the 1009 tfkclosed.JPG

Hulkdeisel

The pintle rated @1200#. If u got class III "CURT" type frame hitch then about 3500# max. Treat it as a k5 w/ 305ci & 307axle...(not much tow for these k5's...about10k#max combined is top end.

LT67

Personally, I would be more concerned with pulling that much weight with a short wheel base. Yeah it will pull it, but trying to safely stop it during an emergency situation could get dicey real quick.

Hulkdeisel

Yes..I do not tow w a k5, short wheelbase and twitchy steering. I've owned these trucks since the 80's. Just enjoy them & don't work em. Good 4by truck about it.

cucvrus

067.jpg066.jpg068.jpg069.jpg109.jpg
Let this serve as a documented example on what NOT to do with the stock pintle hook. I had a tractor stuck in the field and tied on with the Bubba Rope and a chain. It was fine till the strap got tight. The tractor came out about the same time the hitch failed. Nothing was hurt but the hitch and bumper. It gave no warning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks