• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing HMMVW with HMMWV.

jeffy777

I have got someone else to join the community of insanity and they won a 1989 6.2 HMMWV. He has a trailer 83" wide trailer and a modern Chevy pickup. I thought it would be fun to go pick up the HMMWV with a HMMWV(1987 6.2 HMMWV). It is about 40 miles round trip. What do you guys think?

Jeff

DatGuyC

Sorry to be the party pooper but I dont think it would be a good idea at all. These trucks are woefully under powered as is and you're looking at adding another say 7-8k pounds to it, not to mention the brakes. The military only rated these to tow 3.5k pounds.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, just asking, if a fully loaded Humvee comes in at 20K and can run around with all of that extra weight, and a de militerized is about 5,200, can't you apply the lost of the 15k to pull another vehicle ?
Again, just asking...

DatGuyC

So, just asking, if a fully loaded Humvee comes in at 20K and can run around with all of that extra weight, and a de militerized is about 5,200, can't you apply the lost of the 15k to pull another vehicle ?
Again, just asking...
His 1986 hmmwv is far different than the new up-armored ones. They have turbo motors, bigger brakes, stronger frame and suspension, and a stronger drive line.

mikeaverett

5200 lbs is like towing a taho. Having trailer brakes would be nice. On these that are being sold I dont think they are rated for 20k. I tow tow autos all day eveyday. I expected mine to tow heavy, but it did not. Felt like 4k lbs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flat tow with a tow bar? Or on a trailer? I towed home one with my 1/2 ton Chevy pickup (6 cyl, 2wd) and it was not even noticeable behind me. That is with proper hitch equipment and trailer brakes. Flat towing with a tow bar, what, 20 miles? Yeah that would be fairly easy also. Putting a trailer on the HMMWV and trailering it with a HMMWV, nope, no way.

jeffy777

So ... I was not thinking. I should have read the -10 on the subject. The HMMWV can probably pull it just fine the Pintle is rated for less than 3400lb. I am not worried about the breaks and such. It would be twenty miles and I would take it easy. As for the trailer width, I think you will find it is 82" tire to tire(outside of tires) and 85" is the width of the body. I have read several times on SS people say 82 inches on width for trailing.

So the answer is no. No HMMWV pulling HMMWV for me at this time. Thanks! :)

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pintle is not the problem. It is probably in spec.

It is the original curved bumper- noway.

MWO replacement flat upgraded bumper- still no way on weight.

MWO airlift reinforced plate bumper still only 4200lb- out of your parameters.

Action

Again, just asking...
Send me a pic of a 20,000# humvee! Where did you hear that? The heaviest I see at the moment is the m1167 at 10,800# curb weight. You thought it had 15,000 pounds of armor?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used my 2003 4.7liter [NOT A HEMI ENGINE] Durango to pull a 5000+lb Diesel Landcruiser 2200 miles twice. I did NOT use a flatbed trailer, but my vehicles both had titles and insurance. I had a brake assist, and it was easy.

20-40 miles at 20-45 MPH in a HMMWV pulling another Hummer? I see no major issue IMHO (others obviously disagree).

Maybe not to spec, but given military overdesign, I would feel comfortable driving SLOWLY, or driving with a Readybrake brake assist device. My dad helped design and test US tanks. Our military overdesigns EVERYTHING!!! (That is why the whole titling issue over street worthiness annoys me no end. - but I digress.)

I used the device attached below, called a Readybrake. As you slow it mechanically activates the brakes of the car behind. It worked amazingly well. One of the few purchases I made that worked better than advertised.

http://www.readybrake.com/

http://www.readybrake.com/store/p1/...Receiver_Style_Supplemental_Brake_System.html

readybrake.jpg

Yes, others will disagree. I can speak to the effectiveness of a flat tow of a 5000+lb vehicle with a 2003 4.7 liter Durango over 2200 miles without issue using a Readybrake. The drive was smooth and at 50-60MPH the brake activation allowed comfortable safe deceleration.

YMMV,

T

Last edited:

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did install the airlift bumper with the reinforcement, I think that I have 26 1/2 grade 8 bolt holding it to the back of the truck, I am short of the 2 shorter brackets going to the pintle , you would think that the bumper could pull anything, guess not.
By the way , if someone has the shorter brackets, that go to the pintle, let me know
Back up lights 002.jpg

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, my bad, I was certain that they would be bullet proof in order to protect our troops. The way I see it there's never enough protection for them.

The current production Expanded Capacity Vehicle (ECV) model M1113 has a payload of 5,100 lbs. That is over 2 ½ tons, or very nearly the M1113's own weight of 6,400 lbs

snowtrac nome

I used to flat tow them all the time in the army, drop the t-case in natural and go. remember you will need extra room to stop, and don't use the double eared towbar attachments, as they wont have enough down ward articulation. they can pick up the rear wheels, and cause you to loose control. doing it this way will cut 2000 pounds of the towed load.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks