• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing LMTV via Ibis bar

Lmtv772

Banned
Going to pick up another M1078 tomorrow. I went the other day to make sure the driveshafts are off and to check overall condition.
Read through -10 TM. Is there any other hints I should look out for? is it OK to cross chain between the two truck's shackles, provided they are long enough??
Maybe I'll bring the heavy duty medium towbar with square tubing , too just in case
thx in advance

Last edited:

Lmtv772

Banned
I brought the ibis bar as a back up and was going to use it since its s lot lighter. But the feet didn't fit the bar on the truck.
so I used the heavy duty bar instead .

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinion is that the Ibis bar is fine for HMMWVs and such, but the margin of safety with 20,000+ lbs flat tows is not enough. With the medium tow bars, it is one less thing to be concerned about. Looks like a nice truck followed you home.

FloridaAKM

I have both the Ibis tow bar & 6 of the square tube tow bars kits! You can carry the ibis around, but the square tube system weighs over 500 lbs, so it has to be assembled rather than just hooked up! Thanks for the pictures of the hookup!

Lmtv772

Banned
sweet! nice pics of the towing setup... How did your truck perform towing a twin behind it?

OD
Thanks , overdrive. It ranged from confidence instilled, to out right iffy-scary-as-****.
I can see , if you don't pay attention and make a sudden correction, the resulting oscillations can wipe you out in a heartbeat. Also don't make quick moves on the brake pedal. The truck that follows you tries to go sideways then.

DanM7890

Thanks for posting your results. I have heard from someone on another thread an LMTV can tow another LMTV but I have never seen it first hand.

Lmtv772

Banned
Yes, but the steel bars are a known quantity. Why take a chance?
Right, I have both and I didn't feel like taking the chance with an Ibis afterward. There are so many things that can go wrong on a tow bar recover. I don't want the bar itself to be one of the problems

expeditionnw

Thats disappointing, those Ibis bars look like such nice pieces of equipment too. anyone have pointers on where to find the square tube bar?

PanamaMV

Question is could a competent welder reinforce the Ibis bar to avoid the failures. If so....... what areas need reinforcement? Maybe add a safety chain so if it came apart all it could do is run into your own Arse?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks