• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing M1009 CUCV Question

AZDeuce

My M1009 started making a terrible racket on the way to work this morning, that would go away when I accelerated but as soon as I was cruising or coasting, the racket started back up. I'm ASSuming for now I have a flexplate issue. So my CUCV is parked at work and I got another ride home.

I have a M35A2 Deuce, a GI tow bar, and a set of GI tow lights, if I put the CUCV's transmission, and transfer case in NEUTRAL, will I be able to tow it home (about 25 miles) with the ignition in the "ON" position so the wheels will "follow" me, or will I need to have the engine ON, and a co-driver in the CUCV to steer it?

Anybody have experience towing one of these.......successfully?

THANKS!

91W350

Transfer case in neutral, key not on, but unlocked, transmission can be in park, your deuce will barely know it is back there. You will be fine unless there is some loose gravel or sand roads involved. They track just fine on pavement. The wide tires will skate on sand and gravel.

AZDeuce

Cool! Thanks for the info! Operation CUCV Rescue will most likely go into operation Thursday after work, sinse I can do it by myself!

hogtruck

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Comply with the above suggstions. If I am going to tow that far, I like to disco the drive shaft. But, suit yourself.

AZDeuce

The mission was successful the Blazer is safely in my yard.

Got to work a half hour early, parked the deuce in a secluded part of the parking lot, fired up the M1009, and drove it behind the deuce, proceeded to hook up the tow bar with no luck, so had to wait until some of my fellow works arrived, t help lift the darn thin andd install the pins at the same time.

Got the tow bar attached to both vehicles, and ran the tow lights. Then tried to put the CUCV's transfercase in neutral, it was a no go. So I started the Blazer, and tried rocking the deuce, forgot the deuce's parking brake....DOH!

Shut off the Blazer got out and released the deuce's parking brake, hopped back in the Blazer and it wouldn't start, all I got was a "click."

Well..........GREAT!

At this point I'm still betting it's that flex plate!

Anyways, at lunch one of my fellow workers owns a deuce (two actually) he got in the CUCV and got it into neutral while I rocked it forward and back with the deuce.

After work I did a light check while it warmed up (like it needed it that, it was 112 degrees today) checked my tow bar, and headed home.

My plant is out in farm country so I got some back roads to play on, the CUCV was towing great, I knew it was back there, but there were ZERO problems, so I headed toward the freeway to avoid all that starting and stopping, and towed her at about 60-62 MPH (I'm running 395/85-20s, Super Singles)

It took a while to get to that speed, but it wasn't too much longer than normal, I was pretty impressed with the deuce.......the CUCV however is on my list, I'm ticked off at it enough that I'm considering just parting it out. I'll wait a week or so to see if I cool off any.

Thanks for all your advise it was helpful and appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks