• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing M105 behind Jeep Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunboy1656

OK time for my little piece of input.

Ok say you get the air system to work, you find out all is well. What are you going to do if/when the brake system fails going down the road/trail and have no room to stop?

Could you do it, yes. Can it be done safely, maybe. Should it be done, no. Most members on here are all about safety as they should be. I have learned safety should come before anything else. Guess I should thank the Army for that, but if you need the bed for its size, I would suggest taking the bed off and place it on a different frame, or worst case make your own trailer frame more suitable for trails.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I imagine that a jeep built up for rock crawling, with heavier duty suspension and axle, with a heavy duty hitch would have little issues with the M105, other than the previously mentioned braking issues. However, this isn't an offroad forum, the majority of people here don't really 'get it' that a vehicle can be upgraded beyond what the manufacturer intended. Here, if it deviates beyond the technical manual, it's wrong, because manufacturers design everything perfect, especially if they are affiliated with the military-industrial complex.

I think the M105 is more dangerous behind a deuce than a jeep. You can not see it! You can not hear it! You don't even know it's there unless your deuce is particularly powerless for some reason. If my M105 had a flat tire being towed behind my M35A2, I don't even know if I would be able to sense it with all the rattling, exhaust noise and limited visibility the deuce offers. Nothing against my deuce, but if we're talking danger, give credit where credit is due.
I wouldn't be to quick to say people here just don't "get it". I, and many many folks I know, do get it and get it exactly. In this day and age one must consider the risks of offering information on a forum such as this. I learned a long time ago to stop putting out information that could incriminate me since there is a standing and available record of it. Just not going to brag anymore about some of the extremes I've pushed stuff.

I would also challenge you to loosen a valve stem on your 105 and go for a ride in the deuce. I may not be able to hear my trailer behind the deuce but I can sure as heck feel it and can see it enough to know when there is a problem. Flats? Been there, done that and you would have to be numb not to realize it. Fortunately, when there is a problem, the deuce has suitable weight to not be pulled out of control by an errant trailer. You just can't say that about a vehicle that only marginally out weighs the trailer. Consider this, break a coupler or some other modded hitch part and lose the trailer, especially with a breakaway feature. That 105 is going to do as it darn well pleases even with the heavily modified Jeep tugging at its nose via safety chains.

Melodramatic? Perhaps! Self preserving? All the time!

Snarky

I wouldn't be to quick to say people here just don't "get it". I, and many many folks I know, do get it and get it exactly.
I didn't say all, I said most. IMO, There are more people interested in jumping in on an attack bandwagon for the sake of post count than answering the questions asked in an opening post. The OP said it himself, that he had to weed through a bunch of answers to questions he didn't ask to find the ones that actually offered advice to what he wanted to do.

In this day and age one must consider the risks of offering information on a forum such as this. I learned a long time ago to stop putting out information that could incriminate me since there is a standing and available record of it. Just not going to brag anymore about some of the extremes I've pushed stuff.
I agree that if you are employed by a website officially as a volunteer or not, then you may open yourself up to litigation, however if you're a normal member in a forum than you should either respond to the question asked or not, there no reason to troll or continue off topic, giving advice he didn't ask for; that only breeds conflict.

I would also challenge you to loosen a valve stem on your 105 and go for a ride in the deuce. I may not be able to hear my trailer behind the deuce but I can sure as heck feel it and can see it enough to know when there is a problem.
I don't need to ruin a set of tires to prove a point, I was just being melodramatic myself and using hyperbole to make a point.

What that point was, I'm not sure, I will say however that I have lost cargo that I thought was properly secured in my 105 and didn't notice it till later. It was my fault to be sure, but I felt like I would have noticed the issue in another vehicle.

Flats? Been there, done that and you would have to be numb not to realize it. Fortunately, when there is a problem, the deuce has suitable weight to not be pulled out of control by an errant trailer. You just can't say that about a vehicle that only marginally out weighs the trailer. Consider this, break a coupler or some other modded hitch part and lose the trailer, especially with a breakaway feature. That 105 is going to do as it darn well pleases even with the heavily modified Jeep tugging at its nose via safety chains.

Melodramatic? Perhaps! Self preserving? All the time!
I once saw a suburban get flipped by it's trailer, when the trailer had a blow out, the vehicle was well within it's capacities, they were still attached at the ball after they were flipped. I've seen 18-wheelers, do a number of terrible things in bad weather, I'm sure they were all legal at the time, just the luck of the draw.

Towing is inherently dangerous, no matter what you do : there is always a chance of catastrophic failure of some sort.

Is towing a M105 with a modded jeep more dagerous than towing it with a deuce? Yes.

Would giving him the ability to have trailer brakes make it safer? I think so.

Why withhold the information in a sting of neigh-saying? He's already made up his mind, he wasn't asking for vindication. He could have just towed it with no brakes, like other do, but he made it the point to ask about a safety measure, I think it's pretty commendable, even if I don't agree with he's choice of tow vehicle.

l1a1man

No way, I towed one with my 1009 for 78 miles and that scared the bejesus out of me. Would not do it behind my Wrangler for nothing.

Crackerjax

why not just run a saganaw a/c pump turned into an air compressor with a regulator switch off a m35a2 and an airtank and just run some airline ... I have a saganaw pump installed on my XJ for off road air ups and tools... easy to do and pretty cheap. this gives you brakes and air tools.

tm america

i would think you would be happier with a m416 it has the same bolt pattern as the jeep and is lighter and can be had with surge brakes so the only thing you would have to worry about is the lights. it would save you time and money of modding a m105 and probably better suit your needs.if you already have the 105 you could sell it or maybe trade someone for a m416:roll:but if you are stuck with the idea of the m105 i would switch out to a trailer axle with 8 lugs and electric brakes .maybe even change the springs to make it lighter and have better flex too.

Last edited:

tm america

in indiana the law says anytrailer that is more than half the weight of the tow vehicle most have brakes on it .if it is more than 3500lbs it must have brakes on all the axles.but the guys are right whether you want to hear it or not the jeep is rated to tow 2000lbs. jeeps especially lifted jeeps have a high center of gravity.and add that to the high center of gravity that the m105 has mixed with a lack of tongue weight and that is a disaster waiting to happen .lifted jeeps flip over easily even without 2600lbs of help:roll:.using a airpack is only gonna give you brakes when you hit the brakes on the truck and no way to get things straightened out when you get in trouble .thats why electric brakes with a brake controler would be better if you feel you have to do this

Verkstad

If you go ahead and tow this trailer, I'm sure you will enjoy the fuel bill just for hauling the trailer it's self. never mind the load.
Some posts are just too daft to be serious. This one sounds like bait to me, But I just couldn't resist...
Jakob

SasquatchSanta

My Prediction:
Good point Dan but you forgot to add the bodies of several innocent bleeding and dead bystanders laying on the highway.
________

As far as my comments to the original poster: Hoodie --- What a piece of work you are! You come on this forum as a newbie, with little to no obvious understanding or regard to our culture, seeking advice and then get righteous when people attempt to look out for your safety. Since you've seen fit to cop an attitude the issue is no longer your safety but the safety of others!

Your original post didn't mention one single thing about your Jeep being modified. Since you seem to think the mods you've made are important don't you think it would have been appropriate to have given all the facts before expecting an answer? Oh but wait a minute, I almost forget, all you wanted was a specific answer to a specific question! I especially liked your left-handed comment about how painful it was to get your question asked. My apology if we have bored you. I just hope you don't end up killing someone.

PS: You need to get that tag light fixed.

kenny

You just never know how the day will end, when towing.
That is a great point of what happens when you do not have enough wieght on the front of a trailer or a trailer that is heavyer that the tow truck.
I pull trailers every day and see totaled out trucks and trailers atleast once every 2 months if not more because of people that have a ball on there bumper and thank that they are a super Truckers.

Kwai

I look at the pic and think - Someone did a great job securing that truck to the trailer!
You haven't seen the rest of the pics. The trailer is resting on top of the truck.

This thread is sad in that the OP doesn't want to listen to the good advise he is getting. All brake modifications aside, the M105 trailer is too large/heavy to be pulled by a vehicle as small as the modified jeep shown. And I am sure that the modifications on the jeep have reduced the tow capacity not increased it.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. "

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You haven't seen the rest of the pics. The trailer is resting on top of the truck.

This thread is sad in that the OP doesn't want to listen to the good advise he is getting. All brake modifications aside, the M105 trailer is too large/heavy to be pulled by a vehicle as small as the modified jeep shown. And I am sure that the modifications on the jeep have reduced the tow capacity not increased it.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. "
I saw the trailer on top of the truck. The fact they stayed together tells me the straps did their job. The truck was well secured to the trailer. It could have been worse if the truck went flying off in one direction and the trailer in another.

tm america

i guess you will have to pick up the m105 and put it in the back seat of the jeep .it is made to haul 2600lbs as much as it is made to tow it :roll:if you want to haul a trailer behind your jeep.do a google search for jeep trailers and offroad trailers there is a place the makes a copy of the m101 that floats and can be used as a boat by putting a outboard or trolling motor on it really cool and lite enough for the jeep they are made for offroad and have big lifts on them to:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks