• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing with tractors

M1075

Standard operating procedure is to use the same size truck (or larger) to tow a disabled vehicle with towbar. Many add additional weight in the cargo bed of the towing truck to keep the tail from wagging the dog. So what about tractors? Are they the least preferred model for towing? Is the wrecker best (heaviest), the cargo good, and the tractor marginal?

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the key to success is to get the front axle of the "towed" vehicle off the ground. The wrecker does this. Otherwise, it's just a pintle tow which I don't think was ever designed to be a long-distance tow. There is a SS member I've seen either in the photo section, or as his avatar, that piggy-backs a deuce on his tractor, which I've always been impressed with.

jasonjc

The military uses a 5th wheel lift thing for towing with tractors. That is the perferred way for M915's and bigger.

M1075

A lift tow is good because you get some downward force on the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle will track like a trailer. It does require a little more prep work, but I would agree it is a better method. My original questions were in regard to flat towing with towbar.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In that case, I would say the tractor would give you the advantage of simply having a better view to the rear. You won't have to rely on mirrors only as with the cargo, trying to see around that big box. Tractors don't like bob-tailing. The ass-end bounces too much which is obviously a safety issue if you're towing. "Flat-towing" is a short distance option.

Your speeds won't be that great, so it should be a fairly safe operation on improved roads and highways.

2cents disclaimer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, my little tractor is just that, little! I've used the towbar on many an occasion and it works just fine but let me tel you, the piggyback device works awesome. You can back it anywhere and the tractor rides like a dream with the est 7000# on the back. The major drawback is loading and unloading. Twice I've unloaded without major equipment. Once backed the truck off on blocks and once used heavy ramps on the back tires of the tractor. Since the tractor is sold now, the piggy back device has taken residence on the top of the shopvan body probably never to move again.

jwaller

I just flat towed a 816 with my 818 and it worked just fine. common sense required but it wasnt bad at all. I was prepared for some fireworks.

jwaller

Re: RE: Towing with tractors

Recovry4x4 said:
the piggy back device has taken residence on the top of the shopvan body probably never to move again.
wanna sell it? pm me with details if you do.

halftrack

I like using the M818 for towing for the same reason stated earlier that you have more visibility when towing the load. That being said, for long tows, I use the M816 with the front wheels of the towed truck off the ground. Just remember with the tractor you got that truck towing and being towed weight difference thing going on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks