• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing

after doin some reading it seams that m35s can legally pull 10000lbs but can handle way more, but the m105a2 are only rated at 1 1/2 tons so my question is what else did they tow while inservice and where can i get something bigger?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
after doin some reading it seams that m35s can legally pull 10000lbs but can handle way more, but the m105a2 are only rated at 1 1/2 tons so my question is what else did they tow while inservice and where can i get something bigger?
One of the things they towed was the MKT (Mobile Kitchen Trailer) which is about 5500lbs. I'll be pulling mine from San Antonio to Austin this weekend. They also towed water buffaloes, generator trailers, light sets and various other things. Cargo trailer wise I think the 105 was it.

EDIT: Also remember, even with the M105 in tow you'll be over the 26k CGVW so Class A license is required to be legal in most states. The 1.5t capacity is also for off road. I believe on road it's 5500lbs.

Last edited:

dgardner

Banned
What about bolster trailers?

EDIT: even though the M105 isn't alternately rated for highway, if you apply the same math as the deuce (x2) then it might be able to technically carry 6k lbs. That would take the GVW up to 8,750.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about bolster trailers?

EDIT: even though the M105 isn't alternately rated for highway, if you apply the same math as the deuce (x2) then it might be able to technically carry 6k lbs. That would take the GVW up to 8,750.
The M796 Bolster trailer was designed to be towed behind the 5 ton.

3dAngus

For one thing, they would tow a broken down deuce if necessary. Wreckers were not always available in a war zone, or might have already been in use. Yeah, the spec says 10K pounds, but in the military, that means little or nothing. Just a go-by.

On public roads, there is a huge difference. Still, you will see a deuce pull a deuce in an emergency condition, though, it is probably not appropriate if it came under scrutiny.

I've pulled over 10K with a deuce before. It will slow you down, especially on hills that are going up. LOL

Most important thing of all is leveling of the trailer and good brakes on the trailer.
My trailer brakes that were air over hydraulic would stop the deuce before the deuce brakes would stop it, when I wanted them too. As a matter of fact, I had to be careful not to lock up the trailer brakes on a quick stop. You get used to it like driving a different old car. They all have their personalities. It's fun learning and working with them.

The M1061 trailer will hold 10K up top, and it weighs in at about 5K pounds. Some of the best 4 landing legs on a 5 ton 14' trailer you'll ever find. They will lift the entire trailer with 10K up top, and you can change out a tire without a jack. Amazing.

Last edited:

SMOKEWAGON66

Poor condor418....2 pages in his thread and only about 3 or 4 of them are actual responses to his questionsrofl. Condor, Id say just stick with what your data plates, TM's and local and state laws say when it comes to GCVWR, bigger isnt always better, they watch the weight most of all but remember, there are height, length and width restrictions to be aware of as well. If you need more capacity then an M105 trailer, then buy a 5-ton :beer:

tiny110

Banned
I was thinking about making a trailer. I have a parts deuce in my backyard with a good bed on it. I was thinking about taking the bed and 2 frames with the brake systems off of 2 m105 trailers And making a tandem axle deuce trailer out of them.

thehaas

trailer 18ft 3000lbs small kubota 10000lbs max i think truck should pull.yes it pulls no problem but slow,stopping is ok not great my 2500 dodge stops almost as good as duece.usually going down steep hill i will go in second gear real slow .once had whole bed full sand two full buckets maybe 6yards each truck did not want to stop going down hills felt like train pushing me and the bed made some real twisting noises.guy at quarry was in army and was like it will take it next time i told him little lighter.flat roads towing is great trailer does not even sway .

plumkrazy

Tiny, if you look up XM381.com and go to Trucks you will a "deuce bed trailer". Mike built it from a M35A2c bed and 2 M105 frames. I drove it back with Lucy (1972 AMG M35A2 w/M66 gun ring) to Abilene Tx. I'm a retired UPS OTR driver and it seems that I couldn't get diesel smells and pulling trailers out of my system. Going thru Ft. Sill we got many HI 5's and thumbs up. The Deuce trailer pulled like a dream. Mike is a member here and is a great source of info!

Regards

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had around 6K in a M105 before (not on the public roads). It was barely on the overloads. I don't know what it would take to overload one but they can hold up a bunch.

tiny110

Banned
Tiny, if you look up XM381.com and go to Trucks you will a "deuce bed trailer". Mike built it from a M35A2c bed and 2 M105 frames. I drove it back with Lucy (1972 AMG M35A2 w/M66 gun ring) to Abilene Tx. I'm a retired UPS OTR driver and it seems that I couldn't get diesel smells and pulling trailers out of my system. Going thru Ft. Sill we got many HI 5's and thumbs up. The Deuce trailer pulled like a dream. Mike is a member here and is a great source of info!

Regards
****! Is it possible to have a original fault anymore? Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking about.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those wondering about carrying capacity of the M105. This is from the TM (and of course per the military):

(1) Cargo Trailer Series M105A1, M105A2, and M105A2C. Carry a maximum payload of 3000 lb (1362 kg) either cross-country or highway.​

sandcobra164

I'll give you a challenge. Hook an M818 behind your Deuce which weighs about 22,000 pounds and tow it around the block. Don't worry, it can do it. Please use an actual towbar, rated chains and proper airlines so you can use the towed vehicles brakes. After doing this exercise, you'll realize that if you plan on pulling heavy trailers, the Deuce can hold it's own if you have all day to get there. As has been pointed out, you need a CDL to tow a trailer over 10,000 pounds in most states. By the time you get a Deuce to pull a heavy trailer, you could probably get a 5.9 powered Dodge which can pull easy at highway speeds and be able to control the load. The Deuce is heavy and that helps with stability but you're limited to 55 mph on flats and if you hit some hills, a little or alot less going up depending on your set up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks