• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Town mechanics Messed up M1008

dstang97

Picked up a M1008 and this thing is a nightmare. I have been around some time and have never seen any wiring Hack job like this one. They had a starter issue and kept going through starters. So I messed around with it today and fist i thought bad starter relay. Ok bypassed that to try to see if that was the problem and no dice. So i dropped the "new starter" Some one put in a 12v gear reduction but failed to convert to 12V. Also I noticed there was grade 8 bolts Heli-coiled into the block and were not running a brace. Can I take out the Helicoil? and try an oem bolt? how do i take them out?

Trucks :: IMG_0070.jpg picture by Dstang97 - Photobucket

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they only had the TMs...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'm guessing that thay BROKE bolts off in the block, drilled them out, screwed up the threads, hence the thread repair, the oem bolts should thread in, do not think a over size bolt will fit though the starter mount holes

Nonotagain

thats what i figured. Maybe they used the same thread as oem. I doubt it I'm not that lucky, but I will find out tomorrow.
It could also be that they broke a starter off because they were not running the brace and damaged the threads.

Most mechanics today have never seen a diesel CUCV or know that it has a split electrical system with both 12 and 24 volts. Almost as bad as the British cars that used positive grounds.

dstang97

So tomorrow I may get a new "DAWG" head starter relay. and see if i can dig up some OEM one. I may rob a starter from another CUCV. I will post pictures of the truck tomorrow. You guy will not believe this.

Doghead - Not having the Manuals is no excuse for what they did to this truck. You will see tomorrow.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what happens when someone not familiar with the ingenious design of the electrical sytem starts monkeying around with it. Glad no civilians touched my broom.

ryan77

Getting a good mechanic for any car is tough now, Its hard to find some one to trust and who knows what there doing!!! I got a great diesel guy but he's almost 2 hrs away!!! But its worth the drive!!!

cucv1833

Picked up a M1008 and this thing is a nightmare. I have been around some time and have never seen any wiring Hack job like this one. They had a starter issue and kept going through starters. So I messed around with it today and fist i thought bad starter relay. Ok bypassed that to try to see if that was the problem and no dice. So i dropped the "new starter" Some one put in a 12v gear reduction but failed to convert to 12V. Also I noticed there was grade 8 bolts Heli-coiled into the block and were not running a brace. Can I take out the Helicoil? and try an oem bolt? how do i take them out?

Sorry to hear about that.

Thats why i gave up on my m1008 I kept breaking starter bolts cause it didnt have the brace. So when i went to install the brace the bolt for the brace broke inside the block. Ive extracted the starter bolts about 3 times and the last time didnt go to good. I now have a HELI COIL with a 7/16 bolt on one side. and retapped the brace bolt half **s. but it works.

The TMs. ive tried to upload the Tms on the CUCV tech manual page but there to big. Iv uploaded the Tm-12 though

Whitey

Hope this is OK to post, TMs are here:
JATONKA's CUCV TM download page
Use John's page for the TM's. It's where I've been going and they've always worked just fine and dandy. Good luck.

btw, all this talk about the brace being missing makes me want to crawl under the truck and double check. Thing is, I had it on the lift last weekend and I know it's there. I seem to second guess everything these days. Better safe than sorry!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On that note - have the problems with the technical manuals web page been figured out yet?
Yes, there is a short between the steering wheel and the drivers seat! LOL

They will be included with the improved site. Release date is set at .............?

Barrman

My M715 had two seperate wiring systems in it by the time I got it. Stock and what the town mechanic had run to make things work as they broke and he couldn't figure stuff out. When I got it, it needed to be inspected. He actually asked me what all those levers on the floor do while he was inspecting it.

I agree with the post above. The helicoil is probably the same size bolt as stock due to starter motor hole size. Same thread seems to be the big question.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks