• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tracked trailer, ever seen one of these??

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was at "Power of the Past" in Ottawa Kansas today, it is a vintage tractor/ farm implement show that is held this time every year. Hooked up to a lawn tractor I found this little tracked trailer. The owner would not sell it for any amount. I have run across several Naval ordnance items over the years, but never seen one like this. As a dedicated wacky MV trailer collector I was heart broken!

Attachments

paradeduty

That is so cool - I always find it amazing how some things (some historical in nature) can survive the casualties of time, somehow managing to dodge the cutting torch or the scrapper or in this case even the painter! Very cool to see - thanks for the pictures. I don't know about the rest of you guys but this web site has sure made it possible for me to "experience" a lot more history and just neat things that I know I just wouldn't ever have the time or funds to be able to travel to see. Excellent.

Mark2X2

Just looking at picture 5 of 6, looks like the track needs to be adjusted. I wonder how that pulls? Dry I bet wouldn't be bad, but really muddie clay I bet those tracks would slide. I know when I use to run small old dozers, they would roll faster than you would think they ever would. if you got caught out of gear or did something dumb.

Stalwart

They were used on all coral islands as the coral tore up tires, the metal tracks would hold up to the abrasiveness of the sharp coral. You notice it is for the Navy . . . used in the South Pacific.

combat32

I know where there is one of the bigger ones in Ft. Smith Arkansas, it is in a construction company yard.I haven't seen it move in the last 5 years.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just looking at picture 5 of 6, looks like the track needs to be adjusted. I wonder how that pulls? Dry I bet wouldn't be bad, but really muddie clay I bet those tracks would slide. I know when I use to run small old dozers, they would roll faster than you would think they ever would. if you got caught out of gear or did something dumb.
The tracks would be great for hauling heavy stuff (like bombs, torpedos, ammo boxes, etc) across dry sand. It would speread the weight over a much larger surface area than you'd have with tires!

jamesfrom180

The self propelled idea just makes me think of our neighbors down here at NASA. With the current cuts to the space program would love to pick up the Crawler which is this little guys big brother. Always cool to see someones find. I would have been heart broken to, when I found out it wasn't for sale. I've seen a similar modern version for moving large loads off road. i.e. houses, mature trees, pipes, and tanks.