• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tractor W/ removable bed over 5th wheel? has anyone done this?

jdknech

I have a M932 tractor, and would like to keep it a tractor... but was wondering about making a removable bed that sets over the 5th wheel and ramps for when I dont need to pull a trailer.. has anyone done this? pics? how did you make it work?

I was thinking of attaching it in the rear with pins where the rear shackels are, and maybe the same thing at the front? open to ideas... fire away!

Bighurt

There are a ton, I would search the modification forum. You'll get a handful of full conversions but there are a few with removable 105 beds.

Most just attach a kingpin to the bottom and then some sort of stabilizer for two additional points.

jdknech

There are a ton, I would search the modification forum. You'll get a handful of full conversions but there are a few with removable 105 beds.

Most just attach a kingpin to the bottom and then some sort of stabilizer for two additional points.
i have searched, just only found the ones with the bed in place of the tractor kit.. I like the idea of putting a kingpin on the bed, but that sets the bed really high off the frame.. If I could cut the bed so that the hitch and ramps tucked up under/in the bed, and the bed's frame rails set down closer to the trucks's frame, I think that would look much better..

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

Attachments

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
QUOTE=MWMULES;1293468] I had thought about recessing a box in the middle with the king pin but decieded against it, when we laid it out it took up way too much of the bed.[/QUOTE]

Just to throw out a little compromise... Much as I'd love to do a channeling job on the floor, I have to agree to keep the usefullness of the bed uninterupted, yet not the high-rise look with all the spaces:

tructor lockers.jpg
Shallow lockers or even"camper" type legs for the quick dismount. Plenty of tow bar storage from the rear too.
Kind of has that 'prime mover'/ballast body look like the really chunky Mack NOs.

Last edited:

jdknech

i like it! now if i can think outside the box- could this be made into a "light duty" dump bed? i already have the hydraulic power because of the winch on the front.. could i mount 2 cylinders, one on the outside of each frame rail... and the rear of the bed hinged on the shackel mount... and when not needed, i could un-pin the rear of the bed, and remove the cylinder mount pins from the frame, and lift the whole thing off? (Quick disconnect hydraulic lines)

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look at civi dump trucks you will see additional "frame" rails (smaller "C" channels) lay on top of the trucks frame. Those would hold the pivot at the back, the cylinders towards the front and in your case hold the King-pin plate. Quick connects 'Pioneer' or otherwise from tractor supply etc., would be at the front of the secondary frame. So that when you go back to tractor all you will be left with is a couple of rub marks where the secondary frame sits and the female quick connects up by the spare wheel. That way there is no messing with pins for the heavy and burried underneath cylinders...
Of course you would have to make the secondary frame so that the front half can pass by/over the 5th wheel, alternatively, it could stop at the 5th wheel and then you would need to add some 'rests' for the bed to the front and move the quick connects nearer to the 5th wheel.

Can't 'sketch' it out for you 'till tonight - have to work today : (

tructor dump.jpg

Last edited:

jdknech

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! very well thought out! the only question i have- how would the "sub frame" attach to the truck frame? via the 5th wheel?
Yes - the King Pin plate acts as the mid cross member of the sub frame (S/F). The "saddle" plates at the front locate the front of the S/F left and right, but I would probably add a turn buckle (or chain binder) or two at the front or somewhere to clamp things a bit to stop the 'empty' rattle.

this is a thought... my first thought was to lift it with ratchet straps to the barn rafters.. (reinforced rafters) but that only works if theres a barn handy... this sysem that's in the link would work most anywhere... :idea:
If you also make the front and rear outer body frame out of receiver tube (2") or put a piece of receiver tube at the corners, all you need do is make some props - either adjustable or have a couple of pieces of wood lying around, then with your HiLift jack give enough lift to clear the truck and put the props in. a la demountable like van bodies. Could even add a couple of mini train wheels as per civi PLS type dumpsters to ease the bed back past the 5th wheel 'till the front props can be put in..... Spose you want me to sketch that too!

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When doing my swappable conversion, I tried to figure out several of these points, to make them easy swappable. I started from an orignal dump truck with pto-powered hydraulic pimp. Using the original dumb bed, I did not think about the possibilities of putting the hydraulic cylinders on the outside of the frame. D@mm. In the end, I opted for really hard-swapping the bed for the fifth wheel and back because I could not find my way around having both mounted reliable and save and easier swappable.

The main problem for me was the hydraulic pump and hydraulic oil reservoir. For easy removing of the dump bed with the sub frame together, for example on lifting stamps, the problem is that the hydraulic pump is sticking out below the sub frame so the whole unit has to be raised about 10 inches above the frame before you can drive the truck from underneath the unit. Leaving the 5th wheel in place would make that even worse. As side remark, I have a commercial civic 5th wheel on road height, so less high than the original army tractors.

Looking at the drawings (they are GOOD) I still have that question. Where are the hydraulic pump and reservoir located and how is the pump powered? Does it go out with the dump bed or stay mounted?

jdknech

Looking at the drawings (they are GOOD) I still have that question. Where are the hydraulic pump and reservoir located and how is the pump powered? Does it go out with the dump bed or stay mounted?
On mine it would stay mounted to the truck. It has to power the front winch as well.. I would just have quick disconnect hoses to the dump bed..

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On mine it would stay mounted to the truck. It has to power the front winch as well.. I would just have quick disconnect hoses to the dump bed..
An M51A2 has a double pto for that, with one axle going forward to the winch, one going backwards to the dump pump. It would mean that the last app. 20 inches of the the original subframe would stay on the truck, holding the pump and the reservoir. That might work but it would mean that this part probably would stick out above the line of the 5th wheel. Wouldn't that give a problem with the semi-trailer when going through corners especially on an uneven road (railroad crossing or so) when the rear of the trailer gets higher than the back of the tractor resulting in the front of the trailer sticking out over the 5th wheel gets lower and closer to the frame?

jdknech

An M51A2 has a double pto for that, with one axle going forward to the winch, one going backwards to the dump pump. It would mean that the last app. 20 inches of the the original subframe would stay on the truck, holding the pump and the reservoir. That might work but it would mean that this part probably would stick out above the line of the 5th wheel. Wouldn't that give a problem with the semi-trailer when going through corners especially on an uneven road (railroad crossing or so) when the rear of the trailer gets higher than the back of the tractor resulting in the front of the trailer sticking out over the 5th wheel gets lower and closer to the frame?
well with the M51A2 this would be a problem.. but with the M932 the winch is hydraulic, so everything is already there and tucked up under the cab.. all i would have to do is mount a valve, and "piggy back" off of the winch pump.. and at 25gpm, its more the enough to power a dump bed..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks