• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Traffic Stop/I was speeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLJIII

First, let me give you some background.
My M998 currently, does not have doors, a cargo cover, reverse light or plates.
I was running errands and was stopped for exceeding the speed limit (41/35).
The deputy walked up and introduced himself politely and immediately asked for an admission of guilty in the form of: "Do you know why I stopped you?"
My normal response has always been, no, I have no admissions of guilt to provide.
Feeling a little jovial, I replied with: "Yes, I do. Because I let you."
Instantly, I knew he was not a cool customer. The narrowed eyes and head tilt was a dead give away.
So, time to play it straight.
He advised I needed doors to travel on the roadway.
I produced a copy of the statute detailing doors are not required in my state as long as a regulation three point restraint system is in place as well as, the only required mirror (drivers side) has not been removed or impacted by removal of the doors.
He again was not happy.
He asked about my lack of plates, to which I produced another article of paper showing my temporary display tag.
He asked if my vehicle was cleaned for road use and not off road only.
Again, I produced a copy of my title and all required documentation from the state answering his question.
He was not happy again.
After twenty fives minutes, me standing on the side of the road, a commercial vehicle inspector from the state patrol measuring the width of my truck and research by the officer for maximum axle weight for a non-commercial vehicle.
Questioning why I would need such a vehicle.
Researching if, my run flats were legal.
Measuring width in the event, my vehicle was too wide or required additional lighting.
I was finally cut loose, a little embarrassed by the whole ordeal.
As the officer was saying wishing me off, he did however say, I have a nice truck.
No citations or warnings, I think he was just as embarrassed as I was after all was said and done.

I am sure that I am not the first to be stopped but, I am curious if others here have such stories to share?

F18hornetM

Glad you got that all straightened out. I think most just don't know the rules concerning MVs or historic tagged vehicles. And..you were speeding!!! :driver:
My sheriff is my neighbor and a Vietnam veteran:beer:!! Anytime he asks us to take the trucks to his sponsored events we do our best to make it.

erasedhammer

I don't understand why cops do this, even with all the valid evidence to support your stance.

When I went to go get a vin inspect from my state patrol the guy there immediately said "this doesn't meet the requirements for on road use" and threw that on my inspection form.
I double checked his claim, the humvee actually meets all my state regulations and all relevant regulations (for a 94 vehicle) (besides emissions, but I'm exempt in washington here).

All I can say on the matter of unlicensed humvees is that most, like 99% of cops, will not want to pull you over. I've taken the risk a couple of times and have had cops follow me for miles and then just ignore me. They don't know if they can half the time and the other half probably don't want to deal with a situation that big. But, it only takes one cop to start questioning things and all the nice humvees people have could be completely restricted to off road use... get plates while you can!

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having friends and neighbors that are in the law enforcement community, I have learned how not to piss them off.
When I first got mine, I was so paranoid that I refused to drive it until I deemed it road worthy.
My friends laughed at me when I told them that I was waiting for the lights for the plates, because I was trying to keep a low profile.
They said really, a light for your plate will keep you "low profile", I did chuckle after realizing the comment I had made about a low profile vehicle.
With that being said, I installed all new lights, made certain that the brakes and flasher lights works, even installed back up lights.
I did everything that I could to not give them a reason to pull me over, everything works as it should.
I have been followed and only pulled over once, but the cop liked it and wanted to know where I had bought it.
Keep it legal and in top shape and top shape and they wont have a reason to pull you over

DLJIII

I worked in law enforcement for years and I knew better than to give the cop a smart answer.
After he started digging in, it was strike after strike for him and his ego took over. He wanted to pinch me.
Once, he realized it was up to par (minus the reverse light and speed) he calmed and moved on.
Honestly, I am surprised he didn't issue a warning or ticket for speed just to justify the stop and extra calls for assistance.
The way I see it, these vehicles were originally designed for combat and heavy use in harsh conditions.
Additional abilities were installed to achieve this and yet, they are not recognized as road worthy vehicles.
That doesnt make a bit of sense to me. If our vehicles are not road worthy, every 16yo with a 11 foot tall F150 needs to fall into the same ruling.
My plates will be in as soon as they are stamped. So, count me in as one of the lucky ones. Slightly ahead of the curve considering thousands of these vehicles are going to enter the market in the next few years.
I know some hate it for numerous reasons but, just like anything if people want them they will get them.
Good things only last so long, besides I like fabricating parts and a larger market means more for me down the road.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All's well that ends well.

I think he was educated and I think you wound up being OK after a truly annoying ordeal.

Technically you can file a complaint indicating how he does not know legal statutes and such and should be re-educated prior to being allowed back on the street, especially as your vehicle is the exact same dimensions and an H1 civilian use Hummer, and 1 foot narrower than a pannel truck. THAT BEING SAID, he was ultimately a gentleman and I would just let it go.

SUPER BRILLIANT CARRYING THE DOCUMENTS YOU HAD!!!

T

Flyingvan911

He probably heard that they were for off-road only and went with it. He probably doesn't know all the ins and outs of laws pertaining to our unusual vehicles. I'm sure he had good intentions but didn't like being informed that he was wrong.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He probably heard that they were for off-road only and went with it. He probably doesn't know all the ins and outs of laws pertaining to our unusual vehicles. I'm sure he had good intentions but didn't like being informed that he was wrong.
I think saying that he didn't like being wrong is a stretch into reading minds. If he, in fact, was weilding an attitude, he could easily have writtin the speeding ticket. It's unreasonable to expect every LEO to know every single law. They have a statute book and I'm reasonably sure he confirmed what he was told and ultimately did the right thing and issued a warning. FWIW, anytime a LEO does the right thing and gives a warning then gets a complaint, it makes it unlikely that the next person gets a break.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every time I get a ticket I try to shake their hand and thank them for doing their job.

I still want to take my 813 through a DUI checkpoint some night.........

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Because I let you" is a super smart ass remark and I am not surprised it degrades from there. A traffic stop is technically an arrest.

riderdan

I'm not overly fond of police officers. Like any profession, there are good and bad cops, but when you run into a bad plumber they don't rough you up, deprive you of your constitutional rights, and act like you deserved it. If you hire a bad electrician, you don't have to post bail before they turn the power back on. That said, all my interactions with them have been... positive... because I'm unfailingly polite, follow instructions, and know how to "handle" them.

For instance, if you're stopped at night, turn on the interior light and put both hands on the steering wheel. This allows the officer to see into the car and see that you're not getting "something" out of the glove box. If they ask you to get out of the car, put one hand on the door handle and the other on the window sill and slowly open the door. If they ask to see your registration/proof of insurance, be sure to say "It's in the glove box" and pause before reaching over. None of these is difficult, they all reduce the stress the officer is under, and reduce your risk of something bad happening.

Look, a police officer is the one person you're going to encounter with the power to completely screw your life up. Getting smart and saying "Because I let you" is exactly the wrong way to handle the situation. The guy could be a dick. His wife could have filed divorce papers that morning. He could have just gotten out of bed on the wrong side. It turned out the the cop you encountered was pretty cool. He let you off with a warning when he could just as easily gotten one ticket closer to his quota. And he complimented the vehicle, when he could have just walked away.

You had all your ducks in a row, so they didn't tow your truck. That was smart. But other than that, I'd say you mostly got lucky.

Action

I worked in law enforcement for years and I knew better than to give the cop a smart answer.
After he started digging in, it was strike after strike for him and his ego took over. He wanted to pinch me.
Once, he realized it was up to par (minus the reverse light and speed) he calmed and moved on.
Honestly, I am surprised he didn't issue a warning or ticket for speed just to justify the stop and extra calls for assistance.
The way I see it, these vehicles were originally designed for combat and heavy use in harsh conditions.
Additional abilities were installed to achieve this and yet, they are not recognized as road worthy vehicles.
That doesnt make a bit of sense to me. If our vehicles are not road worthy, every 16yo with a 11 foot tall F150 needs to fall into the same ruling.
My plates will be in as soon as they are stamped. So, count me in as one of the lucky ones. Slightly ahead of the curve considering thousands of these vehicles are going to enter the market in the next few years.
I know some hate it for numerous reasons but, just like anything if people want them they will get them.
Good things only last so long, besides I like fabricating parts and a larger market means more for me down the road.
You knew better than to give the cop a smart answer??? In post 1, you told hom he pulled you over because you let him. That sounds like a smartass comment to me. You were speeding and had no tag on your vehicle. Why wouldnt he pull you pvet?

Last edited:

Awol

The only embarrassment in this case is the officer who doesn't know the law. Him bringing out a DOT guy and having him go through everything was just his way of trying to nail you for something.

Good for you keeping documents, and proving him wrong.

Jakob1944

I don't understand why cops do this, even with all the valid evidence to support your stance.

When I went to go get a vin inspect from my state patrol the guy there immediately said "this doesn't meet the requirements for on road use" and threw that on my inspection form.
I double checked his claim, the humvee actually meets all my state regulations and all relevant regulations (for a 94 vehicle) (besides emissions, but I'm exempt in washington here).

All I can say on the matter of unlicensed humvees is that most, like 99% of cops, will not want to pull you over. I've taken the risk a couple of times and have had cops follow me for miles and then just ignore me. They don't know if they can half the time and the other half probably don't want to deal with a situation that big. But, it only takes one cop to start questioning things and all the nice humvees people have could be completely restricted to off road use... get plates while you can!
s

Try this
Some just want a look......never seen one up close......ask them if they want a ride.......get in, I'll take you around the block....Good PR....take photo and post on the Police bulletin board back at the station

Oh yeh, I've seen that vehicle around here....he's straight.....

Mos68x

I'm not overly fond of police.
For me that would be the understatement of the century. It would be more accurate for me to say that I absolutely hate any form of LEO, mainly because of the reasons you already pointed out. They have the attitude that they are above the law and that everyone else is doing something illegal and they will do anything to try to prove it. I do have a select few that are friends, but they are VERY few.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is certainly ya'lls constitutional right to hate law enforcement, however understand that when LEOs see a military vehicle driven by someone in civilian clothes, they automatically assume it could be stolen (probable cause). It certainly is in your best interest to be 100% polite if stopped. Smarting off just puts the rest of us hobbyists in a bad light. LEOs would like to believe that someone associated with former military would be on the side of law and order.

DanM7890

Being respectful with straight answers goes a long way. No need for the extra stuff unless you know the guy personally. I've learned over the years from being pulled over that yes and no answers is the key. If they want to question something, just present the documents and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks