• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Traffic Stop/I was speeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awol

It is certainly ya'lls constitutional right to hate law enforcement, however understand that when LEOs see a military vehicle driven by someone in civilian clothes, they automatically assume it could be stolen (probable cause).
That's not probable cause.

ryanruck

I've gotten waves from cops in mine! :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, there are Judge Dredds and Barney Fifes out there that give the good guys a bad name and make it harder for the good ones to do their job and not get burned out dealing with folks.

The stories I've heard from my brother just make me roll my eyes and shake my head in disgust at the general public and realize they couldn't pay me enough to deal with half the crap he does without just walking around pepper spraying/tazing/nightsticking all of the mouthbreathing morons out there.

F18hornetM

If they want to stop you, they will find a reason. A light out even if it works after your stopped, well it was out!! I know there are number of butt hole, ego maniacs as officers. BUT, there are a lot of good ones to. Just like in any other trade or field. Flip the story around and deal with the smart ass crap they have to deal with. I see no reason to be smart or act stupid to anyone, law officer or not. And I think the speeding was pretty good probable cause, dont ya think? And I forgot no tags.:whistle:

Jericho

Guess IAM going to have to stay out of Texas as well. !lol, West Texas used to be so sparse on people , One was glad to see a cop, might be the only person you saw all day One of my favorite states!

DLJIII

Absolutely right it was a smartass answer. I said it with a cheerful smirk as a joke he just did not take it as a joke. At that point it was by the book and worked out fine.
I used to work for a neighboring agency and I am generally well known in my area. I am that guy that built a shipping container home, a school bus home, a house boat and a former bacon that has a shooting range in the back yard. So, I am not a stranger to the boys and girls in blue and what I did was challenged him with my smart answer. He was a younger guy probably his first or second set of uniforms based on how fresh this hardware was. That is when the LEO law enforcement ego took over, he was looking for anything to write me up on. After he struck out and everything calmed he understood that we ended up in a cat and mouse game.

Now all you guys that dislike law enforcement, trust me I understand. Vast experience working with some excellent people and vast experience working with people that deserved to be introduced to the underside of a buick. There is not an intelligence test for cops or a common decency requirement. A lot of cops have no idea the mess they can create for people and if they do some abuse it. I am polite when dealing with police but, I dont let them push me or anyone else around. I have helped people invoke their rights as I walked down the sidewalk. I dont deal with cheap policing, if they are upright and fair they get it back from me. If they are not, then my lips shut my eyes face forward and communication stops. It might keep me on the side of the road for an extra ten minutes but, they always end up doing the walk of shame back to their cruisers.

Providing as little information as possible is key. Where are you going? That way. Where are you coming from? The other way. Do you know why I stopped you? No, I do not as I dont believe I violated any traffic laws. What is with the attitude? There is no attitude, I am not providing any information that may be used to place me at a crime or give you reasonable suspicion as to where I am going. We can do this the easy way or we can do this the hard way. Hard way please, I request your supervisor and badge number. If, you have nothing to hide you would let me look in your car? I do not give consent to any search of my person or personal property.

Let me say it like this, if we ask then we dont have cause to do it.
If they ask to search your car, you can say no without getting in trouble.
You dont have to answer anything during a traffic stop. Provide your ID, Vehicle Info, Insurance. You might get a ticket but, they wont snoop and treat you like an easy victim.
Do you mind if I come in? - I do mind, you can stand out there as we talk.

Trust me, if it is legal for us to push our way into your home or pull you out of your vehicle we dont ask.
You get the simple, turn the car off, step out, turn around, keep your hands on the roof.
Same with a residence, without a document from the court they need your consent to enter, look, talk, eat, take a nap, anything. And that consent can be revoked at any time.

Anyway, it worked out I didnt get a ticket the cop learned and I actually made an appointment with his department to register my HMMWV as a parade vehicle just so the guys can come out and take a look. A good excuse to make contact and give them a tour rather than them seeing an unrestrained children in the back seat when I am the only person in the vehicle...
Like said above, we can find any reason to stop anyone. Suspended object, leaving the lane of travel (crossing a solid white to make a turn), possibly tinted windows that are factory tinted.

Bravojmc

....Jesus.... I've never treated a officer like that... IMHO answer a couple of their questions , then it's over and I move on.
Their just doing their job.... That kind of attitude toward an officer is why most are on edge... Most just want to work and go home to their family's and shouldnt have to deal with that ****.

springbok

Remember that an officer coming up to your vehicle is really dangerous for them. At that short time they have no idea where things will go. Also I am sure they figure, he is in a HUMVEE he owns guns.
For the most part they are doing their job at the start, where it goes from there is usually based on the conversation or observation.
I was pulled over in my military Mercedes GWagon. The reason was that I had a very low number tag (It is a Delaware thing, the lower the number the more it is worth, #7 was sold for millions of $$$)
I stopped and put both hands on the window sill until he walked up. His reasoning was having a tag worth close to $10,000 on a beat up looking old military vehicle did not seem to fit and when he ran the plate it came back to a Mercedes. A Mercedes Wolf does not look like what 99% would think is a Mercedes.
I gave him license, insurance and registration and told him just what it was.
Doing his job he ran the VIN and my license. Came back and said "sorry to hold you up just doing my job" then said this is really cool my 16 year old would love this thing.
Without thought, Sir, meet me out at my grandfathers farm and give your son some fun learning to drive a stick shift.
Met him out there the next weekend with the G and the HUMVEE and we spent about 2 hours goofing off, he even offered to pay for fuel.
I said, dude your job is to protect and can be dangerous, I owe you not you owe me.
The station he works at is 2 miles from my house, I said man you guys ever need the HUMVEE for whatever reason here is a key. Need one of the generators for an emergency hook it up.
They are doing their job, agree or not. Yes some can be jerks but it is usually due to how you treat them or **** they may have just been in a high speed chase or came from an accident and saw a kid get killed. You do not know..
Be NICE, do as they ask and respect them at all costs...

Bravojmc

Remember that an officer coming up to your vehicle is really dangerous for them. At that short time they have no idea where things will go. Also I am sure they figure, he is in a HUMVEE he owns guns.
For the most part they are doing their job at the start, where it goes from there is usually based on the conversation or observation.
I was pulled over in my military Mercedes GWagon. The reason was that I had a very low number tag (It is a Delaware thing, the lower the number the more it is worth, #7 was sold for millions of $$$)
I stopped and put both hands on the window sill until he walked up. His reasoning was having a tag worth close to $10,000 on a beat up looking old military vehicle did not seem to fit and when he ran the plate it came back to a Mercedes. A Mercedes Wolf does not look like what 99% would think is a Mercedes.
Doing his job he ran the VIN and my license. Came back and said "sorry to hold you up just doing my job" then said this is really cool my 16 year old would love this thing.
Without thought, Sir, meet me out at my grandfathers farm and give your son some fun learning to drive a stick shift.
Met him out there the next weekend with the G and the HUMVEE and we spent about 2 hours goofing off, he even offered to pay for fuel.
I said, dude your job is to protect and can be dangerous, I owe you not you owe me.
The station he works at is 2 miles from my house, I said man you guys ever need the HUMVEE for whatever reason here is a key. Need one of the generators for an emergency hook it up.
They are doing their job, agree or not. Yes some can be jerks but it is usually due to how you treat them or **** they may have just been in a high speed chase or came from an accident and saw a kid get killed. You do not know..
AMEN! You sir did a great thing and I applaud you! I was also taught that you treat an officer with respect!
Thats what's wrong with people these days NO RESPECT, AND ACTING LIKE AND ASS!

Wire Fox

This is the relationship that I want with our PD. Being a massive metropolitan force, that's a tall order to work up here...

ryanruck

Bingo! Traffic stops and domestic violence calls are the two most unpredictable and potentially dangerous things that officers can regularly be involved with. Making that traffic stop go as smoothly as possible is always a good thing for both parties. Of course, having a valid CCW permit to hand over helps to let them know you're one of the "good guys" too. :mrgreen:

And kudos to you springbok for going the extra mile to volunteer! I've done similar with my truck and passed word through my brother to the county sheriff's office and my small town PD that my use of the truck for flood/snow storm assistance is readily available if ever needed. Part of the reason I'm eager to get the complete deep fording kit installed sooner rather than later is how close I live to the Ohio River and being able to better assist with efforts should they be needed.

Special T

DLJIII not a big surprise to find out your an Ex LEO... and since you know all the tricks to the trade the story is pretty funny.

I wish more people spent some time and printed out the laws as a reference as a defence for ignorant cops.... I HATE the excuse that "How can cops know all the laws?" First off its their job, secondly ignorance of the law doesn't protect a citizen from enforcement. On occasion I've had to recite commercial vehicle code to correct a green enforcement officers ignorance... normally doesn't work out very good even when done with no smart ass comments.

Props for having the codes printed out, I wish more of the Open Carry advocates did that kind of education than making confrontation videos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

NormB

I laughed out loud at your comment "because I let you" - maybe he wasn't up on memes, definitely not in a place to appreciate the joke as it applied to a HMMWV.

I got pulled over once and when asked if I knew why I had the presence of mind to say "It's your word against mine officer, so does it matter what I think?" For some reason that got me a warning (30 in a 20 zone - on post).

LAST time I got pulled over - night - coming home from work around 1 AM I turned on my dome light, put my registration/ins/DL on the dash and put my hands over my head. I KNOW cops - justifiably - fear for their safety/lives, why make him worry any more than he needed to. Got a warning for 60 in a 40 zone (JUST got off the interstate offramp and was a little zoned out).

Thanks for the reminder though, I'll print out MD regs against the possiblity of getting pulled over and given the full-court press as you were.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DLJIII not a big surprise to find out your an Ex LEO... and since you know all the tricks to the trade the story is pretty funny.

I wish more people spent some time and printed out the laws as a reference as a defence for ignorant cops.... I HATE the excuse that "How can cops know all the laws?" First off its their job, secondly ignorance of the law doesn't protect a citizen from enforcement. On occasion I've had to recite commercial vehicle code to correct a green enforcement officers ignorance... normally doesn't work out very good even when done with no smart ass comments.

Props for having the codes printed out, I wish more of the Open Carry advocates did that kind of education than making confrontation videos.

Hello? Forrest? Not even lawyers and judges know all the laws. This is why they have computers, statute books and law libraries. This thread makes me chuckle at all the shade tree lawyers and rebel rousers not to mention so much disinformation or just facts that aren't so. I shall enjoy the rest of the banter.

Special T

In general I find it best to be informed and polite... I also find that arguing with a cop never works out in your favor. What is so earth shaking about my statement?

The fact that there are so many laws cops and lawyers don't know them all? Or the fact that we are subject to them even if we have no idea such a law exists?

DLJIII

The biggest thing at least for me and other straight up hogs was not pushing the stuff we did not know. How in the **** would I know what the legal requirements are for a 90cc moped traveling on the roadway? The majority of our calls revolve around a handful of laws and local ords. If you use 147.09 153.2B, 169.14, 303 are heavier criminal charges but you get into the 303, 308, 410s if it is a bad call. The teenage on the moped cruising the fog line that disrupts safe travel and his own safety, sure there is a statute but I dont know it off hand. You can look it up in your duty books, in references, try the state legislative banks, the whole time the kid and moped are getting angry and forget about the 35 year old guy in the charger who is late for work or picking up his kids. The best results I have had is being honest, I know there are regulations regarding this or that but, I dont know what they are and I am not going to keep you here for 20 minutes while I try find it. So, knock it off and get the **** out of here ok? Have a good day. They are happy, I am ok but you can bet your bottom dollar that squad car parked in front of the funeral home is not twiddling his thumbs. That donut muncher is refining his skills and the next unlucky punk on a moped is getting a citation or his little toy thrown in my trunk where his parents can pick it up the following monday.

I still think it was a funny answer, I misjudged him and his youth. As it was said before, he must not have been up to date with his memes on facebook. It is a mildly accurate statement, this little taurus cruisers cant pit a humvee, they can stick my tires, they cant do a rolling roadblock on me, they cant double up in a rig pull up and taze me while im driving, they sure cant plug me with hot lead. The only real option is a long distance low speed pursuit. I say long distance because I have five jerry cans in my truck and I am sure if need be I could figure out a way to refill without stopping. I might be going 15mph and nearly out of control but our collective knowledge and talents here could figure out a way. That should be one of my side projects, some type of mounted folding jerry can holder for refueling. How many folks would have mid-drive refueling capabilities haha.

gtodan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ever watch "Fargo"? ;-)

The biggest thing at least for me and other straight up hogs was not pushing the stuff we did not know. How in the **** would I know what the legal requirements are for a 90cc moped traveling on the roadway? The majority of our calls revolve around a handful of laws and local ords. If you use 147.09 153.2B, 169.14, 303 are heavier criminal charges but you get into the 303, 308, 410s if it is a bad call. The teenage on the moped cruising the fog line that disrupts safe travel and his own safety, sure there is a statute but I dont know it off hand. You can look it up in your duty books, in references, try the state legislative banks, the whole time the kid and moped are getting angry and forget about the 35 year old guy in the charger who is late for work or picking up his kids. The best results I have had is being honest, I know there are regulations regarding this or that but, I dont know what they are and I am not going to keep you here for 20 minutes while I try find it. So, knock it off and get the **** out of here ok? Have a good day. They are happy, I am ok but you can bet your bottom dollar that squad car parked in front of the funeral home is not twiddling his thumbs. That donut muncher is refining his skills and the next unlucky punk on a moped is getting a citation or his little toy thrown in my trunk where his parents can pick it up the following monday.

I still think it was a funny answer, I misjudged him and his youth. As it was said before, he must not have been up to date with his memes on facebook. It is a mildly accurate statement, this little taurus cruisers cant pit a humvee, they can stick my tires, they cant do a rolling roadblock on me, they cant double up in a rig pull up and taze me while im driving, they sure cant plug me with hot lead. The only real option is a long distance low speed pursuit. I say long distance because I have five jerry cans in my truck and I am sure if need be I could figure out a way to refill without stopping. I might be going 15mph and nearly out of control but our collective knowledge and talents here could figure out a way. That should be one of my side projects, some type of mounted folding jerry can holder for refueling. How many folks would have mid-drive refueling capabilities haha.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My $.02. You don't screw with the law EVEN IF YOU KNOW YOU ARE RIGHT. I work for law enforcement. I have been pulled over. I am always respectful, keep my hands on the wheel, ask permission before making moves in the car (e.g., my registration is in my glove box...may I take it out...no sudden movements...no sass). My LE affiliation helps, but they don't know that until we are well into our conversation. It has worked OK for me in the past. I know the stress that these guys and gals are under. Are there bad apples? Sure. There are bad apples on this list. There are bad apples at the local car dealership. Unfortunately, the LE background check does not reveal all of the bad apples. For that, law enforcement agencies rely on complaints (after the fact) and other early warning systems. Let that work the way it should, and try to come home alive and in one piece. LEOs have a lot of legal authority to create serious problems for you...physical and otherwise. Try to make the situation go as smoothly as possible.

I am not slamming the OP...nor any other posters. To each his or her own. I am just offering my perspective.

sabotage161

So many people on here sound like they are scared of the police. A law abiding citizen should not have to fear the people who are paid to protect them. This being said I have only ever had two bad experiences with LEOs. As an Iraqi Freedom veteran I believe that respect is a two way street. I don't harass people and I would prefer not to be harassed. If I have violated a traffic violation then give me a ticket and we can part ways. As far as knowing the laws I don't expect them to have them memorized but if ignorance is no excuse for violation of the law then it is no excuse to continue to harass someone after you have been corrected. Thanks to my brothers on here that have defended this country with me and thanks to the men in blue that defend these streets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks