• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer air brake line quesiton.

ida34

My M146 trailers both have the copper air lines for the service and emergency connections ripped out. This was done by the front end loader used to move them around the GL lot. My first question is can I spice in a good piece of copper with compression fittings or do I need to splice it with flare fittings. . I would replace the lines from front to back with plastic but I don't know of any place around here that sells them. I can get the copper from the hardware store. Any input is appreciated.

ida34

Thanks. Looks like splicing copper may be the cheapest option at this point. I really only need to replace about five feet on both sides, ten feet total. I appreciate the link. I always am looking for good online parts sources.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with splicing in copper lines. The compression fittings will hold the pressure you are working with. If you check the output copper line at the compressor head on the multifuels, you will see they use a compression fitting there and elsewhere in the system on the truck.
Regards Marti

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flare fittings are better! The compression fittings originally used are special, with a long sleeve nut to aid against vibration!. You can't buy those at the Hardware store. You will only get the compression fittings with the little short nuts!

Lee in Alaska

Jake0147

If that sort of thing bothers you, check into some of the regulations regarding compression fittings.

If that doesn't bother you, then look at the original compression fittings compared to what's at the hardware store.

Either way, flares are better...

jimbo*

The "plastic" lines such as are mandated for current production semi-trucks and trailers should be available at any hose or bearing supply house. Napa also carries the hose as well as fittings.

FormerNewMVGuy

Fastenal sells regular air brake compression fittngs, they are shaped a little different than a regular compression fitting, I rerouted my airline from the compressor and got all the proper fittings at fastenal!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not use steel brake line tubing...buy the correct length from you local auto parts place, already flared.
Double flare the copper line using a standard flaring tool.

ida34

After thinking about it I am just going to flare the connection and splice in a new section of copper. I would do steel but I think the run is too long for my local store's stock. I really only need the flare coupling and four female flare nuts in addition to the copper line. If the copper is way to much then I will check on steel by using two sections and a coupling. This trailer will never have more than a couple of thousand pounds on it. The total weight will not ever go over 10k. It pulled fine without brakes but I really want them for safety and legal reasons but even at 10k the five ton could still pull and stop it without brakes. We never turned on the brake valves on our howitzers and they were 15K. It seemed like every time we used them the brakes would lock up on the howitzer.

rmgill

I like to keep the trucks the same as the way they were designed unless you're completely updating an entire system. I hate having to have TWO types of fittings or connectors.

So when I added a second fuel tank to my truck, I found double flare fittings online that once I got the hang of doing the double flares, worked pretty well and the installation is very much like it would have been done save for a few issues.

If I recall correctly, I found what I was looking for below:
http://www.fittingsandadapters.com/
http://www.fittings4less.com/

ida34

I pulled it apart today and the connection at the front where the copper meets the bulkhead connector is actually a compression fitting. I broke down and got all the items to flare it. As I remember, copper only needs a single flare while steel line needs a double flare to prevent cracking. Can someone confirm this. I have a flare tool but no double flare dies. Thanks for the links Ryan. The one was really cheap. Too cheap. I did not add up to the minimum.

rmgill

Looking at my fuel lines, they were, stock, all double flares. So, I got the same type of connections and used double flares there too to keep it consistent. Only problem I had was routing some of the lines and keeping the rubber hoses straight. Once it's all installed, it's VERY hard to get to the underside of the valve. So, ultimately it had an issue with one of the hoses kinking and leading to fuel starvation on that tank. A bit of zip ties fixed that issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks