• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trailer axle questions

SuperJoe

Just a couple of basic questions that i would like to ask your expertise about. First off please keep in mind i have never seen any of the military trailers in person. All my questions are based on assumptions i have about things i have read on this site.

I believe the best candidate for my axles would be that of a m105. If there are better ideas please inform me what and why.

I chose this because it seems to be a popular swap for the bed on a bobbed deuce, so the rest of the trailer should be in supply.

I want to build a trailer 25-28ft that utilizes an extra bogey assm. that i have. I want to keep the same 6 lug pattern that my deuce uses.

questions:

1 Does this axle use round, or square tubes like the hx-240 axle of the deuce?

2 This axle seems to be air brake stopped. Could i hook up the air brakes in a tandem set up?

3 Could i flip the hubs on this axle so i could use duals as well as tandems?

This trailer will most likely be used for towing a blazer and the quads to the camping trips. I want it to look as if it came from the military to anyone that only associates green with military. Any enthusiast would know its home made though

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Round tubes

It uses the typical "air over hydralic". Yes, on the tandem axle. Infact on the bolster, they used 105 axles, but each axle need its own master cylinder, as they did on the bolster. They kept the same 6 bolt Budd pattern, but used the smaller smaller tubless tires. They won't interchange the wheels, because the bolster axles are too close together for the 105 wheels/tires. You might want to think about the bolster trailers undercarriage. It has a swell walking beam spring assembly under it, and is much lower to the ground. All you would have to do is find a commerical bed, your desired length, and tie it down.

Sorry that I don't have any good undercarriage pictures of the bolster, but you can find them, if interested.

Don't know the last answer

Attachments

The brakes on the M105 I have are hydraulic with an air diaphragm so that they can be activated by the air system on the deuce via the gladhand on the left rear of the deuce.
When you step on the brakes on the deuce, the air sent to the trailer pushes the diaphragm actuating the master cylander under the trailer. The M105 axles are round tube about 6 inches in diameter if I remember correctly and you can absolutely weld on the mounts needed to mount 2 of them to a deuce rear suspension assembly. Anyone with a little welding and fabrication experiance can make it happen. I've seen dual wheels on an M105 before but I'm not sure what it takes to make that happen though.
:driver:

SuperJoe

The brakes on the M105 I have are hydraulic with an air diaphragm so that they can be activated by the air system on the deuce via the gladhand on the left rear of the deuce.
When you step on the brakes on the deuce, the air sent to the trailer pushes the diaphragm actuating the master cylander under the trailer. The M105 axles are round tube about 6 inches in diameter if I remember correctly and you can absolutely weld on the mounts needed to mount 2 of them to a deuce rear suspension assembly. Anyone with a little welding and fabrication experiance can make it happen. I've seen dual wheels on an M105 before but I'm not sure what it takes to make that happen though.
:driver:
As far as fab is concerned I have no issues with that. The trailer will be the least modified part of my deuce. I believe the rockwell axles are 3-3/8s square. If the trailer is 6 inch round it will pose a challenge but nothing a few blocks couldnt tackle.