• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Connections M871

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the M871 lowbed trailer have both military and civilian electrical and brake hook ups like my new to me M127 does?
James

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
James, I know that GL calls the M871 a lowbed trailer, but the M870 is actually the lowbed. The M871 is like an M127 as far as I can tell. I don't know the answer to your question, though.

jasonjc

The TM for the M871A2 shows both the military plug for lights and a civi plug. Not shure on the M871 or M871A1. The brake are the same for all.

As for "lowbed" if you can call 55" low:roll:

The TM for the M871A2 is TM 9-2330-386-14&P
I do not know the TM for the M871 or M871A1

There is also a warning in the TM
NOT to use the M871A2 with the M52, M52A1 or M51A2 tractors.

Hope this helps

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M871 has both the mil and civilian hookup. Why, Rumplecat, would you be needing this info? ;-) Trailboss (I would imagine) and I have a bad case of buyer's remorse for jumping on the earlier trailers

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beware of Snipers

I am in the same boat on the bolster trailers that were in Little Rock, I paid double what they went for in Hooks. I expect to be sniped in the last 15 minutes this time!
James

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, prices are all over the place, depending on where you are, how many are selling, and when the sale is. In LA in the same like-new condition, they went from 3600-6000. In CO, they were around 4000, and in TN and CA they went for 1000-1800.

The M871 and M872 (3 axle) trailers I've seen have both 12v and 24v light systems.

fasttruck

Yes mousekateers the m 127 family and m870,871, 872 etc have both 12 and 24 v plugs but there ends the resemblance. The older trailers have air over hydraulic brakes and three completely separate sets of lights: 12 v service, 24 v service and 24 v black out. New trailers have straight air brakes and 12 v service lights with a set of resistors to cut 24v down to 12, uses same bulbs. 24v lights are provided for black out. Am having a problem matching up resistors for my 871 which are missing and i have a parts book with fsns.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jasonjc,
Does the TM say why this trailer shouldn't be used with a M52A2 tractor?

Bighurt

From the TM;

Do not tow the M871 or M871A1 with M52, M52A1, or M52A2 truck tractor. The M52 five ton truck tractor’s inherent design capabilities are not compatible with the semitrailer, and if used would result in a serious compromise to the safety of personnel and equipment.

When towing the semitrailer with the M818, the fifth wheel wedges on the M818 are to be in the locked-in (pushed in) mode for highway and secondary road use, and in the locked-out (pulled out) mode for cross country operation.

The M52 can't lock the 4 way hitch like the M818, its the side to side roll that will put the trailer deck into the rear tandems on the tractor.

Last edited:

Bighurt

All steel framed trailers should be routinely inspected for cracks. The DOD just moth balled 200+ super trailers for cracks from the manufacture. We may see these as surplus in the future, depending on what the manufacture does...

If anyone has 325 BF of Purpleheart for their trailer, let me know I'll trade you...

The replacement decking for our 7Q trailers is Teak...

Why these manufactures pick such rare and expensive woods for deck replacement is beyond me...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks